//ArrowChat Code
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Monstercycle Build

--

Monstercycle Build

Hello, I just joined as I am working through converting an 83 ATC 200E into a hardtail motorcycle. I have 2 ATC 200E's that I bought for cheap and I am going to try and keep the one that is the most complete together while converting the other.

This is what I am starting with:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1401.JPG 
Views:	56 
Size:	154.2 KB 
ID:	251110

Name:	IMG_1391.JPG 
Views:	46 
Size:	106.3 KB 
ID:	251111

And this is my conversion inspiration:

Name:	fallout-bike.jpg 
Views:	55 
Size:	153.7 KB 
ID:	251112

Name:	maxresdefault (1).jpg 
Views:	56 
Size:	407.3 KB 
ID:	251113

Name:	Harley-Davidson-750cc-XA-Military-Motorcycle-1.jpg 
Views:	41 
Size:	194.8 KB 
ID:	251114

Name:	ww2-military-xs650-3.jpg 
Views:	42 
Size:	929.7 KB 
ID:	251115

This is where I am at so far:

Name:	IMG_1411.JPG 
Views:	59 
Size:	124.4 KB 
ID:	251116

Name:	IMG_1414.JPG 
Views:	58 
Size:	127.1 KB 
ID:	251117

I have two questions to begin:
    1. Are there any detailed instructions/pictures on converting a front hub into a rear with a sprocket?
    2. Has anyone used the rear axle as a jackshaft so they could maintain use of the rear brake? I see issues with where the chain from the gearbox would meet the axle hub but if that has been modified easily before, it could really simplify the jackshaft and brake assembly. Plus I like reusing parts where I can. Let me know!

I'll keep posting questions and pictures as I move along with the build. I am calling it Monstercycle for now but am definitely open to better names.

Happy to be here!

fabiodriven is offline Aspiring romance novel cover model, and the Official 3WW slayer of thieves and swindlers. Catch me if you can
    --
    Good to see you found the other threads on big wheels Thor, I was going to link them but you found them on your own. One thing I wanted to suggest was a Yamaha Big Wheel swing arm, I'm not sure if you're familiar. They have a jack shaft so you're able to run a really wide rear wheel and you could easily have rear suspension with it as well. If you're going to stick with a hard tail and feel like fabricating, you could always make your own jack shaft. Whether or not you could incorporate the existing ATC axle would really be up to you as the fabricator.

I don't think I've ever seen anyone use a front hub for a rear. I suppose it's not impossible but my first thought is it doesn't sound like the best idea to me. I don't know everything though.
    85 Tri-Zinger 60
    85 ATC250SX
    86 ATC250SX
    87 ATC250SX
    02 XR650L conversion
    84 ATC 480R

--
    Fabio,

I was in the garage last night and it will probably be easier to make my own jackshaft, I would have to cut an inch or two out of the current axle hub which would mean machining a new shoulder for the 6007 bearing in there and cutting down the spacer.... not that feasible considering the tools I have.

I am open to all ideas on the rear wheel hub, what would you suggest?

Tyler

--
    A bit more progress on disassembly and very excited about this....the engine runs! It turned fine and felt like it had compression when I tried the pull start but now I confirmed. I used some starter fluid and pulled away and brub brubg brurbrburburburburb! I was almost writing that off but these Hondas do last forever. After sitting in a guys back (junk) yard for who knows how long with no covering, very glad it runs. Anyway, I took most everything apart and then cut off where the toolbox and grab bar used to be as those tubes will not be used with my design.

Name:	IMG_1451.JPG 
Views:	42 
Size:	119.4 KB 
ID:	251141

Name:	IMG_1461.JPG 
Views:	46 
Size:	136.5 KB 
ID:	251142

Next project is to remove the front forks and disassemble and see how the shocks and springs look. I hope they are OK because I hear these are not easy to come by anymore and most people just use 200m forks because of it.... we will see. But I did order my paint and I will be getting my tubing for the hardtail soon. I have some plans drawn up for how i want to do it and how i want it to look. We wll see how that works out in practice.

fabiodriven is offline Aspiring romance novel cover model, and the Official 3WW slayer of thieves and swindlers. Catch me if you can
    --
    I honestly don't have any suggestions for a rear hub, lol! I've never built a big wheel. Good start!
    85 Tri-Zinger 60
    85 ATC250SX
    86 ATC250SX
    87 ATC250SX
    02 XR650L conversion
    84 ATC 480R

--
    Ok, a quick update on some progress. I finished up taking everything apart. First i took the shocks apart to see what I was dealing with. When I turned the frame upside down something leaked out..

Name:	IMG_1467.JPG 
Size:	140.6 KB 
ID:	251199
    It looked like mud but maybe something else, either way that means the shock seal is probably bad.
    I got the bottom part of the tube off (tech term for where the axle and brake attach) and look at this.

Name:	IMG_1465.JPG 
Views:	47 
Size:	107.9 KB 
ID:	251200
    Ew.....
    So I pulled the shocks out, got very muddy in the process. As I did so questions ran through my head like "how old is this mud?" and "How rusty and bad are the springs and shocks?". Well luckily for me the springs weren't broke and the shocks seemed to have some life left so I am going to try and reuse them. I have them soaking in evap-o-rust right now.

Then I did something very stupid. I took the front forks off without thinking or researching what bearing were in there and.... as you can imagine and audible 4 letter word came out of my mouth as I watched tiny balls spill all over my dirty garage floor and roll under everything....

So after that I have a couple questions for you guys:
    1. Do they sell replacement balls for the front fork bearings?
    2. It looks like the chrome? plating on the bottom of the forks is pitted and probably not helping the already bad seals very much. Can that just be polished and painted to get a good finish again? Or does anyone else have any ideas for how to bring that surface back to life?

Thor34

--
    Check allballs racing they should have a replacement fork bearing kit

--
    You are looking for new steering stem bearings correct? Looks like the Allballs kit # 22-1002 is the kit for '83 200E.

Nothing like looking for 42 balls all over the place...

Sounds like you have some bad pitting on the shafts of the forks. Clean them up. Take pics. May not be too bad at all. Then again they maybe junk. Hard to tell at this point without seeing them.

Cool project!!
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

'83 200X

Chicks love guys that ride trikes

--
    Thanks guys, I checked out the kit, looks like they are replacing the balls with tapers. More load rating and the cage will keep the rollers from flying everywhere again! Also, I will get the forks cleaned up and get some pictures on here to see what you guys think of them.

--
    Good start! I don't mean to nit-pick, but when referencing the front suspension, they're forks. Shocks are in the rear, just to avoid confusion.
    85 Tri-Zinger 60
    85 ATC250SX
    86 ATC250SX
    87 ATC250SX
    02 XR650L conversion
    84 ATC 480R

--
    Good point fabio, I should have been more technical. The spring and damper assemblies inside of the front forks is probably what I was referencing as shocks.

--
    A quick update, I haven't gotten a ton of work done on the Monster but I have gotten parts! (I did clean and repaint the shocks and springs) I got a used (slightly dented) gas tank and air box off of Ebay. Both look great.

Name:	IMG_1507.JPG 
Views:	44 
Size:	115.8 KB 
ID:	251439Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1506.JPG 
Size:	117.2 KB 
ID:	251440Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1505.JPG 
Views:	34 
Size:	86.5 KB 
ID:	251441Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1504.JPG 
Views:	43 
Size:	146.5 KB 
ID:	251442Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1510.JPG 
Views:	38 
Size:	89.0 KB 
ID:	251443

I will be trying to work those dents out before painting. Stay tuned for that.

Also, did these 200e's have an air filter in that air box because my other bike doesn't have one either. Any suggestions on where/what to buy?

I have started to mount up the plastic on the other 200e and it looks great and will probably not sling mud up my back anymore. I did also change the oil on this. Does it really only take 1 quart? It seemed to be halfway up the dipstick. Is that too good to be true?

Name:	IMG_1501.JPG 
Views:	45 
Size:	129.3 KB 
ID:	251444

Anyway this week/weekend I am going to buy my tubing to start fabbing up the rear frame.

plevib is offline At The Back Of The Pack Arm chair racerAt the back of the pack
    --
    This is blasphemy.

Atc 500x for the win! (Hopefully.... one day)

--
    Ok, so I just bought a UNI Air filter for this thing and I am stumped on how it installs. The best I can figure is that you pull out the inner screen element and fit that smaller diameter into the carb hose/rubber/tube thing that exits the air box. Then I have a hose clamp that i think clamps that junction. Has anyone else used these and does what I did sound right?

--

To swingarm or not to swingarm?

I am really at a mental crossroads. I have been looking at other builds and I am now very torn between doing the hardtail as was originally planned and the swingarm. I think I have a good design for the jackshaft worked out in my head which would make the design more robust and that was one of the things I was worried about. I think I ultimately wanted to build a swingarm bike anyway but I thought it would be too difficult for my first one. What do you guys think?

//ArrowChat Integreation Code //