//ArrowChat Code
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: atc70 build thread

--
    Well I will have a 3 weeks pause in the build... my 2004 Discovery needs head gaskets so that's what now occupies the hour and a half of free time I have at night after the kids go to bed... there is lots to remove to get to the heads. And while I'm in there I'll check the lifters and change the oil pump gear, timing chain and gears and water pump. The joys of old LR ownership The time they run between failures make up for the failure rate though, they are great machines!
    The build will resume once this thing starts up again
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Headgasket job.JPG 
Views:	45 
Size:	1.06 MB 
ID:	251530

--
    Forget the Discovery ..........tell us more about the sandcast!

--
    alright, I have been off the forum for a while, sorry about that!
    Well I did most of the work, all is left is the tank. However it wasn't running that great so I checked the timing... well... apparently the keyway is all damaged so that would explain why it runs poorly, the timing must be very retarded. There was a makeshift key in there and it appears a pawl from the start recoil fell off and went behind the flywheel and that is probably what damaged the keyway... I will post pictures from my phone in a minute you will see what I mean.
    What do you think I can do?
    Thanks
    David

--

--
    Then the painting started. I did the trick for coating Por-15 with the Por-15 two part urethane paint for the black. The red and silver parts were done with epoxy primer, colour paint and 2k clear

--

--

I did a bit of home zinc plating and yellow chromating

And more assembly

--
    Some more old paint stripping and a road test...

The temporary tank is from a Chinese made pocket bike .

The old tank is being redone. I welded the holes at the bottom and I will lead it at the bottom. That will hide my welds and seal it should small cracks start around the weak metal that I welded. I will also use tinning and lead to fix the dent before the same 2k epoxy primer and paint system.

--
    Now for the damaged keyway... what do you think I can do?

--
    Oh man! That keyway is destroyed. You should remove that crank to have it welded up, in my opinion

Nice build so far.

Did you find a kit to do the yellow chromate and if so, which did you use?

--
    Very nice!

The yellow chromates.......I'm assuming you are using the Caswell system. It's a very good system.....I have one myself. What are you using for a power source for the plating ?

Split the case and source a replacement crank.....it's the way to go. Then you can clean up the barrel, case and covers.

--
    That’s it. I’m using the casweld kit. Well just the chromates from them. For the plating I use vinegar and epsom salts and zinc roof strips. For power supply when plating small bolts I was using a small charger 6V supply but for large parts I used my 12v car charger on 2a setting. It bubbled good . I switched it a couple times on the 10a setting but that appeared a bit too powerful... i use a fish-tank waterfall for agitating the water.

--

atc70 build thread

I just purchased a used crankshaft on ebay but I was really hoping to rebuild the engine next winter and use the bike this summer a little bit. I can weld so I wonder if it could work to add some steel in the mangled keyway and clean it up with a dremel. Or would that make it distord due to the heat?
    Last edited by Roby466; 05-22-2019 at 05:55 AM.

--
    Well the used crankshaft I received was not the right one (gotta love ebay). It was not even the one in the auction’s picture. I suppose it may be from a bigger engine.

--
    So I repaired the old one. Wrapped a wet rag to keep the heat down and went at it. The small air file is not great but helps for this kind of job when you can’t move a regular file much. Not too bad I think. Now I have to find a die to clean up the thread and try it.

//ArrowChat Integreation Code //