//ArrowChat Code

Thread: Camping and riding Las Vegas area?

--

Camping and riding Las Vegas area?

Made a trip to Las Vegas last week. As we were driving past the Las Vegas Motor Speedway on Lake Mead Blvd, noticed an area east of the track just before you hit the freeway that looks like a popular place to ride.Does anybody know what the rules are for that area? Can a guy spend a night there and do some riding for a couple of days? From Google Earth, Lat: 36°17'54.93"N Long: 114°57'23.55"W
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	riding area.jpg 
Views:	92 
Size:	486.9 KB 
ID:	251228  

--
    Us locals call this area Apex, or Nellis dunes. I've ridden there a few times when I need a riding fix, but don't have the time to get away for a trip to Dumont Dunes, which is my preferred riding spot. The sand dunes are small, and most of the riding areas are hard pack, with rocks everywhere.

Here's some info for you: http://www.duneguide.com/sand_dune_guide_nellis.htm
    Red Rider's Sand Machine Updated 07/23/14

--
    Hey thanks for the info. Was headed to Mesquite/Vegas/Dumont this year the week of March 19th but had too many problems with the motorhome and didn't want to blow 2 more days of my precious vacation working on it so said screw it and jumped in the car and left without the toys. I wanted to scope things out and see where exactly I can stay when I go down next year and I got that accomplished. Going to spend a few days at Dumont, then Vegas and the last of the week at Valley of Fire/Mesquite before heading back up to Idaho. I will have to hook up with you next year so I will have someone to go riding with. I had a couple of friends that were going to go down this year with me but things came up and I ended up with just the wife and I and she isn't big on riding and its not that much fun riding alone. If you ever get up to St Anthony dunes give me a shout out, I live 45 minutes from them and am always looking for a reason to hit the dunes!

Mike

--
    This is what was supposed to come down behind the motorhome
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	dumont trailer.JPG 
Views:	97 
Size:	120.1 KB 
ID:	251431

This is what I ended up at the dunes with
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	dumont dunes.JPG 
Views:	92 
Size:	117.1 KB 
ID:	251432

Was still nice to get away and be someplace warm!

--
    Too bad you had the motorhome issues. I hope you still had an enjoyable trip. Yes, definitely let me know the next time you're going to be down this way, so maybe we can meet up for a ride.
    Red Rider's Sand Machine Updated 07/23/14

//ArrowChat Integreation Code //