//ArrowChat Code
Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast

Thread: '86 250R refurbish

--
    Quote Originally Posted by atc300r View Post
    When your ready to install your crank put it the freezer night before and heat your crank bearing it will slip right in.The hot rod cranks are press fit .
    Thank you very much for the insight on that. Should save me quite of cursing and frustration.

I was able to finish sanding down 90% of the rear fenders tonight. I finished buffed the left side and hope to get to the right tomorrow. They aren't perfect but this is gonna be a rider not a show piece so I'm happy.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

--
    Quote Originally Posted by Kamnahrt View Post
    Thank you very much for the insight on that. Should save me quite of cursing and frustration.

I was able to finish sanding down 90% of the rear fenders tonight. I finished buffed the left side and hope to get to the right tomorrow. They aren't perfect but this is gonna be a rider not a show piece so I'm happy.

Fenders look alot better.

Sent from my Z958 using Tapatalk

--
    Well bearing and gaskets came in today! Sadly I stopped at the powdercoat facility today to drop my engine cases off and the ol boy behind the counter informed me they won't powder coat engines due to the heat.

In other news I moved to sanding down the gas tank and polishing it up. It turned out much better than the fenders.... which leads to an inherent issue that lives deep inside of me. So back down to 400 went the fenders and we will start the process off polishing them again.

--
    Looking good.

I love getting those boxes of new OEM parts

--
    Nice job!!!
    It sucks to get old

--
    Finally got a chance to throw everything in the hot tank for a final clean. Degreased everything and shot on some primer. Finished up with a few coats of color.

--
    Putting the motor together is the fun part

--
    Quote Originally Posted by ironchop View Post
    Putting the motor together is the fun part

The only thing that concerns me is the gear train. I know the gear cluster, shifting forks and shifter labyrinth is going to make me want to toss a .

--
    Broke out the glass and lapping compound and got all the surfaces trued up. After only a few curse words got the gear set in and shifting through all the gears. Crank is in the freezer and will hopefully be in tomorrow.

--
    Takes a brave man to lap cases after painting. Hope you got it all cleaned up.

Not sure why they turned you away at the powder coaters. Most powder melts at 400F, way hotter than the outside of your water cooled 2 stroke will ever get. If you find the right custom place there are even powders that can handle 800 plus. Checkout Powder By the Pound if you haven’t already.

I love the freezer trick, but make sure you pour the water out of the crankcase when you get the cases put together and dry it out with a heat gun, or a hair dryer and get some oil on it ASAP or it will rust up.
    It sucks to get old

--
    Quote Originally Posted by El Camexican View Post
    Takes a brave man to lap cases after painting. Hope you got it all cleaned up.

Not sure why they turned you away at the powder coaters. Most powder melts at 400F, way hotter than the outside of your water cooled 2 stroke will ever get. If you find the right custom place there are even powders that can handle 800 plus. Checkout Powder By the Pound if you haven’t already.

I love the freezer trick, but make sure you pour the water out of the crankcase when you get the cases put together and dry it out with a heat gun, or a hair dryer and get some oil on it ASAP or it will rust up.
    Lets be honest, bravery is just ignorance in disguise. But yes all 4 cases/covers got a very liberal cleaning afterwards. Lol.

As far as the powdercoater, you know that I know that, anyone that can read prismatics website knows that. Unfortunately the guy running the shop did not want my business this time around. But I digress, sometimes its not worth rolling in the mud to bring home the bacon.

Thank you for the insight on the heat gun for the aftermath for the crank bearings I will be sure to use that. I did plan on an aftersoak in oil before assembling the cases. Any extra rust mitigation is welcomed.

--
    Assuming you have your crank bearings installed it helps to warm the cases up (especially the bearings) before you install the crank.
    It sucks to get old

--
    Well last night I got the main bearings sweat on and the whole assembly back in the freezer. I thought I grabbed a pic but that's what I get for thinking.

Today I snuck out to the shop and gave my exhaust flange the ol ironchop treatment. Added another o-ring groove and then blasted all the schmooz off. After blast your think it came that way from j a pan.

Thank you again chop for letting me copy your brilliant idea on this.

--
    I probably didn't invent that modification.

Looking good

--
    Quote Originally Posted by ironchop View Post
    I probably didn't invent that modification.

Looking good

That may be true but the first I saw of it came from your thread. I didnt want anyone thinking I was capable of that caliber of thinking on my own...

//ArrowChat Integreation Code //