//ArrowChat Code
Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast

Thread: '86 250R refurbish

--
    Well I was making some decent head way tonight. Got the outer clutch basket filed up and smooth again, the crank installed and the inner cases sandwiched together, and 90% of the right side innards buttoned up. Then of course Murphy and his stupid laws had to show up to the party. I was having trouble getting the spring to fit into the captured hole, it just seemed like the stand off was a little canted. Well turns out it was and when I gave the spring a little more pressure *snap*. Time to quick for the night I guess.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

--
    DOH!

That will f**k your momentum right up.

Sent from my Z958 using Tapatalk

--
    My innerclutch has one that has been welded back on in a motor I bought from ebay.
    250r rules

--
    Chop,

Ain't no kidding there. But with the basket case this motor was, there honestly wasn't any curse words. Its was more just, well that figures lol.

300r,

I thought about doing that but for $50 for an new OEM basket, it wasn't worth the hassle. My time is worth more than that, if you know what I mean.

--
    Short night but good progress. Got the left side all buttoned up, yes the flywheel looks rough but it's as clean as possible with out blasting. When I removed it it was completely rusted out. I let it soak in evaporust to clean the rust off and in the picture it's just liberally soaked in WD40. I decided to go with the BDT adjustable timing plate. Figure worst case I don't mess with timing and it was a wasted 20 bones. It had to be replaced anyway so no harm no foul. Got the piston installed after only chasing the wrist pin clips into Narnia 3 times, so it could have been worse. Then threw it in the frame, still need the clutch basket but it should be here Thursday. I just needed to see it in the frame to keep my motivation levels high.

--
    Quote Originally Posted by Kamnahrt View Post
    yes the flywheel looks rough but it's as clean as possible with out blasting. When I removed it it was completely rusted out. I let it soak in evaporust to clean the rust off and in the picture it's just liberally soaked in WD40
    I lightly primed & painted the last nasty one I had after sanding it down. I was thinking that maybe, just maybe it could be re-plated without removing the magnets, but as far as I can tell the magnets are installed after the original plating is done, so I went with paint.
    It sucks to get old

--
    Quote Originally Posted by El Camexican View Post
    I lightly primed & painted the last nasty one I had after sanding it down. I was thinking that maybe, just maybe it could be re-plated without removing the magnets, but as far as I can tell the magnets are installed after the original plating is done, so I went with paint.
    I really did think about doing that with this one, but the more I thought about it the more the diminishing returns words echoed in my head. I'm banking on the fact I'll probably have that side cover off a fair number of times dialing in the timing so a few liberal coatings of RP and it should live out a fairly rust free life.

--
    New clutch basket came in today along with the head gasket so the motor is 100% buttoned up finally. And whoa momma does it have some compression. Apparently both of my gauges want to leak down at the moment so I don't have a solid number, it's way more better than it was.

Other than that just buttoned up the radiators and a few other odds and ends. Unfortunately I have a wedding 6 hours a way this weekend and am tied up tomorrow and friday. It's looking like no test runs until next week.

--
    Awesome. I haven't done squat to mine in a couple weeks.

Did you use a CR head gasket?

And do your coolant hoses rub each other near the head? I know I need to trim them up a bit but I don't like how the hose lays on one of the wires on my CDI plug.

Last edited by ironchop; 08-02-2018 at 12:09 PM.

--
    Quote Originally Posted by ironchop View Post
    Awesome. I haven't done squat to mine in a couple weeks.

Did you use a CR head gasket?

And do your coolant hoses rub each other near the head? I know I need to trim them up a bit but I don't like how the house lays on one of the wires on my CDI plug.

Thank you sir!

No sir, I used 1 side of a trx250r gasket.

And yes the hoses are really starting to get on my nerves. Like you the touch on they crossover in front of the head, are right up against the cdi box and I'm not impressed with the angles of the formed bends. Almost like the $20 Chinese silicon hoses might have been a too good to be true deal.

--
    Yeah that's exactly what brand i bought too. When I hold them up to the older stock hoses, the bends are close but not exact and they need the ends trimmed I think because mine are smashed up against the tank when I mounted it up to the frame
    Quote Originally Posted by Kamnahrt View Post
    Thank you sir!

No sir, I used 1 side of a trx250r gasket.

And yes the hoses are really starting to get on my nerves. Like you the touch on they crossover in front of the head, are right up against the cdi box and I'm not impressed with the angles of the formed bends. Almost like the $20 Chinese silicon hoses might have been a too good to be true deal.

--
    I gave up on those hoses for my bike and went to Auto Zone with the stockers and asked to be left alone in the rad hose section.

20 minutes later I had a hand full of hoses with the bends I needed. Took them home, cut the sections I wanted out with a razor blade and Shazam! Brand new high quality discontinued rad hoses. I don’t remember what it cost me in total, but it wasn’t very much.

BTW, for future reference the large outside part of the clutch you filed the grooves out of is called the basket and the smaller one that broke on you is call the hub.
    It sucks to get old

--
    Chop, I had the same thing happening when I tried to fit the tank. To be fair I haven't gave it that much effort yet as i was just mocking things up and test fitting the hoses at this point. I will update you when I get them into final resting placement.

Camex, That's a fairly good ideal, assuming you have an in in the parts department. I'm not really disappointed per say in the hoses they do feel decent quality, and I'm sure once I take the time to properly fit them they will be okay. Thank you for the correction on the clutch monikers!

--
    Well got everything all buttoned up. The engine ice is coming in tomorrow and I'm picking up the 110 race fuel after work to hopefully try and start it up. I still need to get a decal set on order and do the final buffing on the rear fenders. But it's nice to have it all back together.

--
    Well gentlemen, I topped off the fluids last night, mixed the fuel and tried to get the old girl fired up.....

And on the 3rd kick she roared to life Ran rough for about 5-10 minutes then once the heat came into the cylinder it was like someone flipped a switch. It idled like a dream, was revving very easy and quick and sounded even. I heat cycled it 3 times last night, I'm sure just enough to piss off all the neighbors. I plan on one more tonight then a nice easy ride through my woods and hopefully I'll be able to do some plug chops and WOT pulls tomorrow night. Once I figure out how to upload a video here I will share some sound clips.

//ArrowChat Integreation Code //