//ArrowChat Code
Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8

Thread: '86 250R refurbish

--
    Quote Originally Posted by yaegerb View Post
    So, post 56 I am seeing some troublesome work done by your guy. First off, there are no cross hatch marks in the cylinder which means your rings will have an extremely hard time seating....if they ever do. The other thing I see is in the last pic, showing the exhaust port. If you look at the bottom on the right and the left I see two grey smudges which are indicative of a stressed cylinder wall. What’s more is if you zoom in on the right side I see a grey line going through the smudge which to me looks like a crack. Did you thoroughly inspect this cylinder when you got it back? The porting looks like a high CR port as well. Who did this work?
    Wow, good eye. That does look like a crack on my phone screen. That hone job looks like they didn’t get a very nice crosshatch pattern.
    It sucks to get old

--
    Quote Originally Posted by Kamnahrt View Post
    There was a good crosshatch in the cylinder. The pictures don't show it well but it was there. Yes I inspected it very well, but that doesn't mean I didn't miss something. The little smudges and line I see what you're saying but it very well could be fingerprints or stressors. At this point I cannot say. The porting job is supposed to be a mid-high range port, unfortunately I'm not inept enough of what it should look like to judge that. As far as the gentleman that did the work, its Kinny Racing here is Wausau Wi. He has a great reputation locally with the 2 stroke guys.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk
    Ok, I am not about to bash anyone, life’s full of lessons. My advice is to take the cases back apart, new crank bearings/seals and possibly tranny bearings depending on how far back the bits went. You will also need to get the big end rod bearing replaced. I strongly suggest buying a first bore wiseco, sending it with your cylinder to LA sleeve. I have had very good luck with them. It will be extra to get the port work matched by your guy, but you will have a piece of mind as it will be a new sleeve perfectly matched to your piston and you will have many overbores left.
    Feedback for yaegerb: Click Here

Need something blasted or polished or both? Send me a PM

--
    Ok, I am not about to bash anyone, life’s full of lessons. My advice is to take the cases back apart, new crank bearings/seals and possibly tranny bearings depending on how far back the bits went. You will also need to get the big end rod bearing replaced. I strongly suggest buying a first bore wiseco, sending it with your cylinder to LA sleeve. I have had very good luck with them. It will be extra to get the port work matched by your guy, but you will have a piece of mind as it will be a new sleeve perfectly matched to your piston and you will have many overbores left.
    . The cylinder is for sure going to LA sleeve for repair to factory bore. The internals il know more once I get it split and can assess the situation a little better. I'm not trying to take sides or pull punches on his side or ignore your much appreciated input. But standing where we are I cant justify tarnishing or point fingers at the engine shop, there isn't enough evidence either way. Il wear the dunce hat on this one and move forward a more enlightened dummy. Definitely not the first not the last il have to strap it on. Lol

Thank you very very much for your insight and opinions.

--
    Quote Originally Posted by El Camexican View Post
    Wow, good eye. That does look like a crack on my phone screen. That hone job looks like they didn’t get a very nice crosshatch pattern.
    It's very possible that it was and I overlooked it/didn't see it. It would jive with my findings on the carnage that it was an old flaw.

Thank you very much for your input as well!

--
    Well I know it's been a long hiatus and I went dark after the sudden upset. The good news is we are back in business, motor went in to the frame tonight and was running in 3 kicks. Time to try all this one more time.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20190522_185258.jpg 
Views:	17 
Size:	1.47 MB 
ID:	258563Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20190522_185247.jpg 
Views:	20 
Size:	1.41 MB 
ID:	258564

--
    Glad to see you got it finished and back up and running.
    • 1985 Honda 250SX
    • 1985 Honda 350X
    • 1985 Honda 350X
    • 1986 Honda 250R

“I Love The 350x. It’s So Bad”

My Feedback Link!

--
    Well I know it's been a long hiatus and I went dark after the sudden upset. The good news is we are back in business, motor went in to the frame tonight and was running in 3 kicks. Time to try all this one more time.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20190522_185258.jpg 
Views:	17 
Size:	1.47 MB 
ID:	258563Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20190522_185247.jpg 
Views:	20 
Size:	1.41 MB 
ID:	258564
    Glad you got it back up and running again. What all did you have to end up doing to the cylinder to correct it?

--
    Quote Originally Posted by Hondatcs View Post
    Glad to see you got it finished and back up and running.
    Glad you got it back up and running again. What all did you have to end up doing to the cylinder to correct it?
    Thanks gentlemen. And the cylinder was completely dickered, I split the cases and found that both of the case halves had holes plum through the crankcase area. It was at that point I put the project on hold trying to establish a forward path. The price through LA sleeve was right around $450. Between that, case half repair, and other mics. expenses I decided that for now a donor would be the best solution. The new motor is a low hour take out of a 1988 TRX that I got for a song. It is stock porting with an upgraded clutch pack, I swapped over the flywheel and ignition out of the 86 and everything seems to be copacetic so far.

--
    Thanks gentlemen. And the cylinder was completely dickered, I split the cases and found that both of the case halves had holes plum through the crankcase area. It was at that point I put the project on hold trying to establish a forward path. The price through LA sleeve was right around $450. Between that, case half repair, and other mics. expenses I decided that for now a donor would be the best solution. The new motor is a low hour take out of a 1988 TRX that I got for a song. It is stock porting with an upgraded clutch pack, I swapped over the flywheel and ignition out of the 86 and everything seems to be copacetic so far.
    That worked out well for you then! the 88 trx is a long rod right?
    • 1985 Honda 250SX
    • 1985 Honda 350X
    • 1985 Honda 350X
    • 1986 Honda 250R

“I Love The 350x. It’s So Bad”

My Feedback Link!

--
    Quote Originally Posted by Hondatcs View Post
    That worked out well for you then! the 88 trx is a long rod right?
    87-89 were long rods.

--
    Glad to hear you're back out tearing up the dirt again. I've been itching to do that as well.
    Red Rider's Sand Machine Updated 07/23/14

--
    Thank you Red. And yes, this is a long rod motor. Also the 88-89 have the short ratio transmission, correct me if I'm misspoken, which will better suit the style of riding that I do.

//ArrowChat Integreation Code //