//ArrowChat Code
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: New Fabrication Project

--
    I have a few days off now, so I finally got to finish up the rotor adapters. I finished cutting the center holes on the router table. A made a jig that allowed me to adjust the radius of the cutting. Using the left bit in the pic on post #30, I kept adjusting the radius, until I had the proper ID (47mm), then continued adjusting the depth of the cut (about 1/16" at a time), until I was about 7/16" into the 1/2" thick adapter. From there, I took the adapters to the drill press, and used a 1 3/4" hole saw to remove the last bit of material holding the centers in. Then, back to the router table, where I switched to the Flush Trim bit (right bit in post #30) to bring the entire hole to 47mm ID. I decided a rounded edge would look good on the outside surface of the holes, so I did that as well, once again using the center bit in post #30.

Next up, I needed to remove a lot of material from the backside of the adapters, to allow the discs to align properly with the calipers. So, once again I used the same jig, that I used earlier in this post, and kept adjusting the ID of the cutting, until I had the proper ID, then I kept cutting deeper, until I had achieved the appropriate depth. When that was done, I finished off the outside of the ID with a 1/2" diameter Round Nose router bit.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Adapter9.JPG  
    Red Rider's Sand Machine Updated 07/23/14

--
    Again, nice work

Sent from my Z958 using Tapatalk

--
    Quote Originally Posted by Red Rider View Post
    I have a few days off now, so I finally got to finish up the rotor adapters. I finished cutting the center holes on the router table. A made a jig that allowed me to adjust the radius of the cutting. Using the left bit in the pic on post #30, I kept adjusting the radius, until I had the proper ID (47mm), then continued adjusting the depth of the cut (about 1/16" at a time), until I was about 7/16" into the 1/2" thick adapter. From there, I took the adapters to the drill press, and used a 1 3/4" hole saw to remove the last bit of material holding the centers in. Then, back to the router table, where I switched to the Flush Trim bit (right bit in post #30) to bring the entire hole to 47mm ID. I decided a rounded edge would look good on the outside surface of the holes, so I did that as well, once again using the center bit in post #30.

Next up, I needed to remove a lot of material from the backside of the adapters, to allow the discs to align properly with the calipers. So, once again I used the same jig, that I used earlier in this post, and kept adjusting the ID of the cutting, until I had the proper ID, then I kept cutting deeper, until I had achieved the appropriate depth. When that was done, I finished off the outside of the ID with a 1/2" diameter Round Nose router bit.

Don't know how I missed this thread. Damn mad scientist at it again!
    Feedback for yaegerb: Click Here

Need something blasted or polished or both? Send me a PM

--
    Quote Originally Posted by yaegerb View Post
    Don't know how I missed this thread. Damn mad scientist at it again!
    I've had this happen to me many times. I see a new thread, but based on the title, I never look at it. After I keep seeing lots of activity on the thread, I figure something interesting must be going on, and I finally decide to give it a look.

P.S. This is the project I was starting, when we talked on the phone.

--
    I've had this happen to me many times. I see a new thread, but based on the title, I never look at it. After I keep seeing lots of activity on the thread, I figure something interesting must be going on, and I finally decide to give it a look.

P.S. This is the project I was starting, when we talked on the phone.
    Ahhh, this is very neat fab work!

--
    Very awesome work Red Rider!
    And that's the rest of the story. ~ Paul Harvey

"Yes its broken, but does that really surprise you?."
    "What happened? What does it look like happened?!?!"

--
    Now that's some handy out-of-the-box machine work. Where I worked maintenance often needed in-place machining to repair equipment and it always amazed me what types of materials / tools / equipment / set ups used to complete the task. Now having said that I have racked my brain trying to imagine the set up you used. A couple pic's of the fixtures, rotor table or locating pins used would clear up and maybe allow others to perform something similar.

"HJ" Click image for larger version. 

Name:	oldfogey.jpg 
Views:	61 
Size:	1.2 KB 
ID:	251525
    ’84 YT60
    ’85 350x (423cc) with ’81 XL500 head conversion
    ’83 XR500 (628cc) converted 3 Wheel hybrid
    ’73 CB750 K3 converted 3 Wheel hybrid
    ’86 TRX250R chassis XR650L engine hybrid
    ’89 TRX250R (stock )
    ’90 LT500 Quadzilla
    ’85 FL350 Odysses ( water cooled head )
    Lost (sold) but not forgotten ’80 ATC 110 (205cc on alcohol ) ’83 200x ( 222cc ) ’83 200x ( 185s eng ) ’85 350x ( stock )
    added to the collection recently, (2) '70 US90 Aquarius Blue and '74 ATC90 Daytona Orange

--
    Quote Originally Posted by HairyJR View Post
    ...I have racked my brain trying to imagine the set up you used. A couple pic's of the fixtures, rotor table or locating pins used would clear up and maybe allow others to perform something similar.
    Thanks Harry. As requested, here's a pic of my router table setup. This white jig, in the center of the router table, was what I used for the majority of the work. In the center of the jig's circle is a 1/4" bolt. Both raw pieces of aluminum had 1/4" holes in the centers of them as well. The hole in the aluminum was slid over the bolt, then secured with a washer & nut. Then the aluminum was rotated around the bolt, resulting in round cuts. The green arrow points to the router bit. Adjusting the fence, at the back of the router table, changes the radius of the cuts, by moving the jig closer to, or further from, the cutting bit. The pieces of oak, on either side of the jig, are there to hold the jig centered, yet still allowing the jig to slide forward & aft (red arrow). The other jig & guide I used was shown in posts #19 & 23.

Here's the new rotor, and caliper relocation bracket mounted up.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Router Table Setup.JPG   Adapter12.JPG  

--
    Thanks Harry. As requested, here's a pic of my router table setup. This white jig, in the center of the router table, was what I used for the majority of the work. In the center of the jig's circle is a 1/4" bolt. Both raw pieces of aluminum had 1/4" holes in the centers of them as well. The hole in the aluminum was slid over the bolt, then secured with a washer & nut. Then the aluminum was rotated around the bolt, resulting in round cuts. The green arrow points to the router bit. Adjusting the fence, at the back of the router table, changes the radius of the cuts, by moving the jig closer to, or further from, the cutting bit. The pieces of oak, on either side of the jig, are there to hold the jig centered, yet still allowing the jig to slide forward & aft (red arrow). The other jig & guide I used was shown in posts #19 & 23.

Here's the new rotor, and caliper relocation bracket mounted up.
    Fantastic!!!

--
    I'm going to check this project off as, "complete."

On a side note, new computer purchase recently, and very fricken annoying that my "portrait" pics now post as "landscape" on here, regardless of how they are oriented on my computer.

Ok, I figured out my pic problem. Even though the pic is oriented properly on my computer, I went ahead and edited the pic by rotating it 180 degrees (which made it upside down), saved it, and then edited it again by rotating it another 180 degrees (which made it right side up again). Then I reloaded the pic to 3ww, and the edited pic is now oriented properly. Your necks will thank me later.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Adapter13.jpg   Adapter14.jpg  
    Last edited by Red Rider; 04-30-2018 at 10:14 PM. Reason: Fixing pic orientation to prevent neck cramps

--
    Turned out fantastic

--
    Red anodize is a nice touch.

Great looking machine with some cool features

Sent from my Z958 using Tapatalk

//ArrowChat Integreation Code //