//ArrowChat Code
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Hot Rod Brian's 87 SX

fabiodriven is offline Aspiring romance novel cover model, and the Official 3WW slayer of thieves and swindlers. Catch me if you can
    --

Hot Rod Brian's 87 SX

Hot Rod Brian sold this machine to me (for the moment), but it's going to be known as Albie's machine most likely. I took possession of it a few months back and it's been sitting here waiting for some attention. Well a few days ago I decided it was time to get this thing going. Albie's going to pay for it when it's done and it will be his, and if he doesn't pay I'll keep it. Personally I hope he doesn't pay.

Turns out the focks were bent straight back a little bit. I have a keen eye for that but somehow hadn't noticed until I disassembled them. I threw a set of straight tubes in that were out in the shed along with new seals and fluid.

The front brake shoes were roached, and NOS Honda shoes are in the mail on their way here.

OEM grips and bar ends are en route as well, along with a set of handlebar heaters. OEM air filter is also in the mail.

Used OEM skid plate compliments of Captain Weezy will be here soon as well, packaging adorned with something embarrassing and most likely sexual or at least having something to do with bodily functions. Thank you again pal!

I welded the holes in the stock muffler closed.

One issue we noticed just recently, one of the aluminum aftermarket rims had slotted holes from being run with loose lugs. We were able to drill new lug holes, but we weren't crazy about the rims or tires. They would have worked, but they weren't ideal. Just for shites and giggles, I jumped on Craigslist yesterday and searched "ATC". Well wouldn't you know, one of the first ads that popped up was for two stock 85 SX wheels with two good usable Ohtsus on them for $30 four miles from my house! Amazing! So I scored those and met another triker who's nearby.

Ideally all the parts will arrive in time and everything will fall together, then this machine will be back in the mountains for the first time in quite a few years. We're hoping to head up this coming Sunday (Dan), and my buddy Albie's never been riding up there. It's going to be a huge deal for him, I'm looking forward to it myself. I'll post some pictures when it's all together.

85 Tri-Zinger 60
    85 ATC250SX
    86 ATC250SX
    87 ATC250SX
    02 XR650L conversion
    84 ATC 480R

3Z with Fangs! is offline At The Back Of The Pack Arm chair racerFirst time rider
    --
    Quote Originally Posted by fabiodriven View Post
    Thanks for all the replies guys! Yes it certainly was a score. I got the carb cleaned and reassembled and unfortunately the bike still didn't run right. I disassembled the carb a second time and found a jet which was completely clogged as well as the spring and washer for the air screw missing, rookie moves. Ultimately my fault, yes, however we have a friend who comes by and tends to distract people and worse yet, sometimes insists on "helping". God bless the guy, he's a true friend, but I put the tools down when he comes over and this is exactly why. You'll see him in the video below.

So we do now know that the muffler on the SX has some small holes on the underside. I'll be welding those up, but we're going to ride it first. I need to reinstall the carb again, it's right this time. I was also able to Frankenstein the headlight shell back together so that's good!

This is Hot Rod Brian in the video below. I'll be honest, it has nothing to do with the thread really. I just found this hilarious and I thought others might as well. Like I said, our buddy makes it really difficult at times!

https://youtu.be/tFH8-Vanz90
    That headlight shell = character!

--
    I welded the holes in the stock muffler closed.
    When you weld on trikes, do you unhook your CDI and or other electricals first? Have you ever fried electricals welding on one, or is that not something to be concerned with?

Used OEM skid plate compliments of Captain Weezy will be here soon as well, packaging adorned with something embarrassing and most likely sexual or at least having something to do with bodily functions. Thank you again pal!
    Quartermaster: One book Swedish Made Penis Enlarger Pumps and Me. This sorta thing is my bag, baby by Captain Weezy

fabiodriven is offline Aspiring romance novel cover model, and the Official 3WW slayer of thieves and swindlers. Catch me if you can
    --
    I don't unhook anything intentionally when I weld Mr Keister. The battery is out of the machine but that's only because the machine was slated to be on the wheelie bar for a while during the time I worked on it.

I welded exhaust systems on cars and trucks for years and we never unhooked anything. Never had any issues. I've welded on all my own vehicles over the years and never fried anything.
    85 Tri-Zinger 60
    85 ATC250SX
    86 ATC250SX
    87 ATC250SX
    02 XR650L conversion
    84 ATC 480R

--
    Me neither.. I read stories about disconnecting BLAH BLAH BLAH, never had an issue...
    All our government does is distract us while they steal from us, misspend our tax $ and ruin our country

--
    I noticed you've removed the front wheel...just wondering if the front axle caused you any grief? I have an '85 250SX and will have to remove the front axle at some point to replace the tire. Apparently those front axles are notorious for seizing. Just wondering how it went for you?
    1985 Honda ATC 250ES
    1985 Honda ATC 250SX
    1984 Honda ATC 200M
    1983 Honda ATC 200
    1984 Honda ATC 110

--
    My 86 and this 87 both came off without incident.
    85 Tri-Zinger 60
    85 ATC250SX
    86 ATC250SX
    87 ATC250SX
    02 XR650L conversion
    84 ATC 480R

--
    Alright so now unfortunately we will not be hitting the mountains this weekend because of two separate speed bumps, and I need a little help.

First problem is a persistent bog when you give it throttle. It will bog right through the middle of the RPM range and eventually clear out then rev up to full throttle. I have had this carburetor out of the machine and apart no less than five times, probably more. The last time I had it apart, the plastic slosh guard around the main jet lost it's grip and fell off. I thought that was finally going to be the cure to the bog, but I was wrong. I removed the jet shroud from the carburetor and still it bogs. I changed the spark plug to a brand new one just to be sure, but that didn't help. I'm at a loss as to what it is that could be causing this bog. I thought the first couple times it was apart that I must have missed a clogged passage somewhere but I don't think that's the case anymore.

Our second issue, the triples are bent. I figured it out during assembly when I had the same issue putting it together that I saw when I was taking it apart. The axle doesn't sit where it's supposed to, and you can clearly see the front end is twisted. I'm beginning my hunt for a set of triples right now. I bet the top one is OK but I don't know that yet.
    85 Tri-Zinger 60
    85 ATC250SX
    86 ATC250SX
    87 ATC250SX
    02 XR650L conversion
    84 ATC 480R

--
    First problem is a persistent bog when you give it throttle. It will bog right through the middle of the RPM range and eventually clear out then rev up to full throttle. I have had this carburetor out of the machine and apart no less than five times, probably more. The last time I had it apart, the plastic slosh guard around the main jet lost it's grip and fell off. I thought that was finally going to be the cure to the bog, but I was wrong. I removed the jet shroud from the carburetor and still it bogs. I changed the spark plug to a brand new one just to be sure, but that didn't help. I'm at a loss as to what it is that could be causing this bog. I thought the first couple times it was apart that I must have missed a clogged passage somewhere but I don't think that's the case anymore.
    Take a real good look at the needle. Roll it on a piece of glass and make sure it’s perfectly straight.

Not sure what your fuel screw looks like, but I had the tip break off in a Mikuni carb once and didn’t realize it until I put the needle next to a good one. Ran like crap till 3/4 throttle.

And... some carbs have a small washer under the needle clip. Check if yours is supposed to have one.
    Last edited by El Camexican; 12-06-2018 at 10:56 PM. Reason: I’ve officially forgotten more than I know.
    It sucks to get old

--
    been a bit distracted pal. I have that starter rebuild kit still. I'll get it out to you. Bad friend. Sorry.
    Wubba Lubba Dub Dub!!!!!

TRIKES:
    86 250r
    85 250sx
    86 250sx
    84 Yamaha 225DX - Bruins Trike
    85 Yama 225DX - The Rental!
    150cc Piranha powered 70
    110cc Lifan 70
    82 70
    83 ALT 50 Trail Buddy
    88 Yamaha BW 80
    84 z50

--
    Just curious, did they have the key for that thing when he got it?? Such a nice score!!
    All our government does is distract us while they steal from us, misspend our tax $ and ruin our country

--
    Yes sir Steve, key was right in it.

I have triples on the way and I'm going to swap the carb from my SX on to it and see what she's got to say then.
    85 Tri-Zinger 60
    85 ATC250SX
    86 ATC250SX
    87 ATC250SX
    02 XR650L conversion
    84 ATC 480R

--

Hot Rod Brian's 87 SX

Last weekend this machine did end up making it to the mountains for the first time in many years, and Albie rode it. Both he as well as the SX did great, but both were aching at the end of the day.

The machine ran well enough but could have run better. I ended up sealing the intake and cleaning the carburetor for the sixth time and it still ran like crap, so I cleaned out another carb I found in my parts and used that one instead. I took the machine for a one minute long lap around my yard and loaded it up to hit the mountains. That was the first time it didn't bog but it wasn't even run five minutes. I couldn't keep riding it because it was warm and raining and the yard was too soft to rip around on.

Like I said, it ran fine, just not perfect. I'm going to fix the original carburetor one way or the other and get it running perfect. The other issue is a bead leak in one of our new (used) Ohtsus. The wheel is with Albie now as he's a tire guy, so he's bringing it in to work with him.

All in all the rookie rider was truly impressed with this machine and he'll be up there again with it.

Last edited by fabiodriven; 12-23-2018 at 01:02 AM.
    85 Tri-Zinger 60
    85 ATC250SX
    86 ATC250SX
    87 ATC250SX
    02 XR650L conversion
    84 ATC 480R

--
    Sounds like an intake leak to me. Do you have an ultra sonic cleaner there might be some crap deep inside. Next time you go to the mountains if it’s in NH let me know I’d like to ride with you guys.
    1982 ATC 70
    1983 ATC 200E yard rat
    1984 ATC 200X
    1984 ATC 200S (X2)
    1985 ATC 70 (X2)
    1985 ATC 200S
    1985 ATC 250R
    1986 TRX 70
    1986 ATC 350X
    2004 kfx 700 XC
    2006 prarie 700 XC
    2009 Brute Force 750
    2020 CF Moto 600

--

Hot Rod Brian's 87 SX

It was actually acting the direct opposite of an intake leak. It started and idled fine, but then ran bad when you gave it throttle in the upper RPM. An intake leak would have more of an affect at idle and less when you give it throttle. I don't have a carb dip machine, I was just looking into them though.

Yeah we still ride a lot, Jeff moved up there and goes all the time, like literally. What machine were you thinking about riding? Been a while!
    Last edited by fabiodriven; 12-24-2018 at 09:03 AM.
    85 Tri-Zinger 60
    85 ATC250SX
    86 ATC250SX
    87 ATC250SX
    02 XR650L conversion
    84 ATC 480R

//ArrowChat Integreation Code //