//ArrowChat Code

Thread: Differences between 200m and big red 200.

MotorCity is offline At The Back Of The Pack Arm chair racerFirst time rider
    --

Differences between 200m and big red 200.

Hey all,

Looking to help a buddy get a 3 wheeler. Hes had tons of experience on them back in the day (he was excellent on a 250R). Two machines came up in his area, in about the same condition, and similar price.

Can anyone tell me the differences between a Honda 200m 3 wheeler, and a honda 200 big red. I think both are 1984 model years.

They darn near look identical to me. Both 200cc, both have the same looking fat tires. Both have electric start and pull start. the only differnce i'm aware of so far is the 200m doenst have a front rack, the 200 big red does. Both have rear racks.

The only things I"m thinking that come to my head, perhaps the 200 big red has lower gearing, as it was designed as a "farm tool", to do work.

If anyone could provide me some info as to teh differences between 200m and 200 big red, I would greatly appreciate it. Thank you in advance.

Mike

fabiodriven is offline Aspiring romance novel cover model, and the Official 3WW slayer of thieves and swindlers. Catch me if you can
    --
    If you are correct in the year of the Big Red, then that would be a very different engine than the 200M. The 84 Big Red is shaft drive and the 200M is not.

If you are talking about the 82-83 Big Red, those are at least chain drive like the 200M. I don't know what else the similarities or differences are though.
    85 Tri-Zinger 60
    85 ATC250SX
    86 ATC250SX
    87 ATC250SX
    02 XR650L conversion
    84 ATC 480R

--
    Fabio is spot on with chain VS shaft drive. The Big Red came from Honda fully racked, while the 200M racks were options. The Big Red will have hi and lo range along with reverse. The 200M will be 5 speeds ahead only. the 200M has a very well designed front end (forks / shocks) while the Big Red front forks were the worst of Honda's front forks. The motor top ends are identical. the gas tanks are identical - the seats and rear fenders are identical. the 200M weighs around 30 - 40 pounds lighter, thus considered much sportier. Both have Electric start. Both have stock 9" wheels and 25" tall tires all around. Both have keyed ignitions. Either are great trikes, depending on what you are looking to do. For light work and lots of trail play - the 200M hands down. For more work oriented - the Big Red wins. Personally - I would choose the 200M for no other reason than the front forks!
    RIP - Yamahondaman!! You will never be forgotten!
    RIP - Sam Brehm!! Gone but NEVER forgotten!
    RIP - Sandpuppi101 - You will live on in my mind - I miss you friend!

MotorCity is offline At The Back Of The Pack Arm chair racerFirst time rider
    --
    ATCTim,
    Thank you very much for the feedback. I never knew about the differences in the forks. I myself have a 1985 Big Red 250ES, so its interesting to hear the 200M has better front forks (BTW, will 200m front forks fit on a '85 Big Red??). I think the light work and play will fit right up my friends alley...he's looking to use it to carry a chain saw and clear some trails on his property, bring in plants from his truck to plant in his garden out back, bring in a little firewood to his bonfire pit, etc.

I wonder if the front rack from a big red will bolt on directly to the 200 m front end?

--
    You might want to turn your buddy onto something like this. I got a very similar cart at Bi-Mart on sale for under a hundred bucks. It rides behind my 85 BigRed just fine....a little tough to backup, but it is balanced so well that I can unhook it and wheel it where it needs to go. One thing...keep your chin out of the way when you flip the "dump" latch..HA!
    https://www.ruralking.com/brinly-17-...RoCNSAQAvD_BwE

tripledog is offline I could be geriatricdog... at my age Got the holeshot
    --
    The 200ES forks have steel lower legs and are sprung only. They are of poor design and prone to rust seizure and failure. The 200M forks have aluminum lower legs and rely on springs AND fluid to provide shock absorption. A 200M front end will fit the 200ES Big Red, but you will also need the 200M front hub assembly, backing plate, and axle to complete the swap. The 200M/ES forks have a longer steering stem than the '85 Big Red, so some modification would be required to make them fit on a 250 Big Red. Although a much better design than the 200E/ES forks, the 200M front end will not accept the 200ES rack and headlight assemblies without some modification. Also, while aftermarket 200ES front fenders abound, 200M front fenders are a proprietary item that are as scarce as an honest politician.

This link may be of some assistance to you. http://www.3wheelerworld.com/showthr...200m+fork+swap
    Last edited by tripledog; 04-19-2018 at 06:24 AM.

BarnBoy is offline Just Too Addicted Arm chair racerJust too addicted
    --
    My 200M was bought primarily for work on the farm. So it is very capable. I have hauled a lot of firewood with it. It has front and rear racks, which I think are kinda rare. Only ever saw one or 2 other 200M's with factory front racks. Big Red 200E (1982-83) is almost identical to the 200M. I have to say having owned the 200M and extensively used the 200E, the 200E will pull like crazy in low. Its really handy. However I think on the top end they are pretty similar. 200M might have a slight edge but its not really noticeable. I honestly think you would be very satisfied either way. I didnt find myself wishing for the low gearbox too often, usually only when I was pulling too much . I would look them both over and buy the one thats in better shape, with the slight bias towards the 200M because of forks.

As stated by tripledog the 200E rack will not bolt right up to the 200M forks. Reason being that the 200E forks have tabs welded on to bolt the rack to, while the 200M uses these clamp type deals to secure it. You could weld some tabs to the 200M easily enough, cause the 200E forks suck.
    1984 HONDA ATC200M - OG, mid-restoration
    1981 HONDA ATC200 - future build
    1981 HONDA ATC185S - parts
    1984 ATC200X - roller, future build
    1984 Honda ATC250r - in a million pieces- ISO grab bar, PM if you have one

Da velder

//ArrowChat Integreation Code //