//ArrowChat Code
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: how badass are the 85-86 250Rs?

--

how badass are the 85-86 250Rs?

I'm looking for a nice 85-86 250R rider and though I've never ridden one, I have had an 85 350X and 86 200X. Never had a 2 stroke before and the only one I've ridden was a Yamaha Blaster around a home made track. How will the 250R compare to the 350X that I'm familiar with? Might as well ask how does the air cooled earlier 250R compare to the water cooled Rs? What would be a decent price for a water cooled R? I've seen them to be in the 2K-2500 range. Sound right? What am I in for...
    84 Honda 200ES Big Red

--
    Yea around here 2k-3k seems to be the average price for a nice 85-86 250r. Make sure you check it over really good for any problems, I've made that mistake before. I picked one up over the winter but haven't got to ride it much so I cant help out too much with that. But I ride mainly 350x's too and things I have noticed which is no secret is how much lighter the 85-86 250r is and how much beefer some of its compontents are vs the 350x. I know more members with more info will chime in. keeps up updated on if you get it!
    Last edited by Aulbaugh; 04-20-2018 at 01:01 PM.
    • 1985 Honda 250SX
    • 1985 Honda 350X
    • 1985 Honda 350X
    • 1986 Honda 250R

“I Love The 350x. It’s So Bad”

My Feedback Link!

--
    There lighter and pretty fast. I put a 310 kit on mine. I have a 86 350x and haven't ridden it much. I'd say comparable but the r is a little faster imo.

Mosh is offline I'm the one with all the 2 stroke around here! The day begins with 3WW
    --
    Chuck Norris runs away from them like a lil bish
    Here is where my long useless list of stuff nobody cares about should go...

Proudly NOT a member of

"Team on the Teat"

--
    Some brief thoughts - I own an 85R, 85X, 86X, 85T3.

R vs X:
    - they're different but the differences are hard to describe until you ride one
    - sit on the X, sit in the R
    - R takes more effort to ride fast, have to keep it on the powerband and it takes some effort vs dropping the X into 1 gear and riding all day, although my stock R is a sweetheart even out of the powerband
    - 2-stroke power is addictive. I don't know if the stock R is faster than the stock X, but it feels faster
    - you have to pay more attention to what you're doing on the R
    - R handles better (combination of geometry and CoG from sitting in vs sitting on) and has better suspension than X

I find myself riding the 2-strokes during the day and when I'm fresh and the X at night and when I'm tired

The T3 is actually the most fun for me to ride. I doubt it's any faster than my R, but I love the engine and the fat front tire in the sand.
    The last few trips, I rode it more than the other 2 combined.

I ride sand. Only sand. No trails other than sand trails. No rocks. No mud unless it rained in the sand and I miss a turn. No snow. No gravel or any other BS just sand.

I'm old and fat and lazy. If I rode anything but sand the 350X would be perfect and a 200X would be fine.
    Sand takes power and I like the 2-strokes in the sand.

I have no clue how an air cooled R compares. Last one I rode was in 1986 and it had a nasty 300cc engine in it with a +12 arm. Was a rocket in a straight line. The 350X and 85R were light year's better all-around trikes. That's all I remember.

Don't know if that helps.

--
    Jb2 wheels said it best. There different from each other

--
    From what I gather in comparison to the 350X, is that with 2 strokes, you have to keep them wound up whereas the 350X can bumble around at lower RPMs and still have enough torque to pull Chuck Norris' arm out of its socket. Sounds like 2 strokes are a much different world than the 4 strokes I'm use to. Also, I have no experience(meaning NONE ever) with 2 strokes, so I have one hell of a learning curve ahead of me. It's cool though...I'm ready to learn something new.
    84 Honda 200ES Big Red

--
    The X is like a Dodge diesel.The R is like a Dodge Hell Cat.lol.The aircooled R is realy quick in stock form respond well to mods.But the Liquid R is different as power band goes.
    250r rules

--
    Quote Originally Posted by longbedGTs View Post
    From what I gather in comparison to the 350X, is that with 2 strokes, you have to keep them wound up whereas the 350X can bumble around at lower RPMs and still have enough torque
    ^^^^ Pretty close ^^^^^

An air cooled R is very comparable to a 350X stock for stock in 300 feet. The R has a slight advantage.
    A blaster is a turd compared to an air R.
    A liquid cooled R is on a very different level. Again, all stock for stock for the sake of comparison.

The learning curve will not take long and it will be fun!

--
    Stock 85/86R vs Stock 85/86 350x, you will see a fairly big difference in the type of power/power band hit, handling/suspension difference, level of attention required in riding. Yes on 350x you can go a lot slower/putt around more and it won't tire your shifting foot out as much as compared to the R. The X's power is a lot more torquie/steady power/acceleration vs the R's power which is more excitable/hi-strung with a stronger hit/stronger surge of acceleration. Handling is where the R's shines, handles/corners like its on rails vs the X's which will be not as precise or tight as the R's. I agree with JB2 that you feel like sit on the X's more vs sitting in the R. Suspension is where you also notice a big difference especially getting up to higher speeds on a bit rougher ground. In my opinion the R really out shines all the high performance 3 wheelers in this category. I know some people will argue that the 86/87 Tecate 3 handles as good or better then 85/86 R but I own and ride 85/86 R's, 86/87 Tecate 3, 86 Tri-z & 85/86 350x and the 85 R handles the best in stock condition for me.
    As far as stock air cooled(81-84 R's) R's vs stock liquid cooled R's. The liquid cooled(85/86 R's) are faster, handle better, have a better suspension etc... Having said that I a have seen some pretty fast aircooled R's with mods but if you do the same mods to liquid cooled R then the liquid R's are still faster IMO.
    Either way you ll noticed the difference between the 85/86 X's and 85/86 R's in power, suspension, handling and ergos and will have fun riding them both. I love both the 85/86 X's and R's but they were built for different riding styles/applications. Good luck with the finding/buying process of a nice clean 85/86 R and have fun riding it.... that the most important thing..

350xman
    No- Point in standing around and just watching! Get out and ride!

--
    Based off the info in this video, there are minor differences between the 85s and 86s. Is this something to take seriously or are they not even worth considering? Should I shoot for an 86 specifically or just pick up whichever I see first if the price is reasonable?

84 Honda 200ES Big Red

--
    I would prefer an ‘86 over the 85 just for the better interchangeability of the rear end components, but that wouldn’t make an ‘85 a deal breaker by any means. Both are fine bikes.
    Red Rider's Sand Machine Updated 07/23/14

--
    Quote Originally Posted by longbedGTs View Post
    ... Is this something to take seriously or are they not even worth considering? Should I shoot for an 86 specifically or just pick up whichever I see first if the price is reasonable?...
    I wouldn't kick an '85 out of bed. The biggest difference is the swingarm and stuff and you could change that to an 86 ATC or TRX swinger if you wanted the parts availability Red Rider mentioned. I think the 86 has a half degree of difference in rake on the frame and there's other very minor differences that have zero to do with overall performance.

If you're set on a liquid R, I would consider both years and just look for the best deal on either one that you can find. Look it over with a magnifying glass because these things are not cheap to fix or rebuild and even used parts are getting premium prices right now compared to 7-10 yrs ago or earlier.

I got an 86 chassis with an 85 motor in it(almost back in it). I do like being able to use TRX rear end stuff on it if I need to.

Sent from my Z958 using Tapatalk

HondaRidr is offline At The Back Of The Pack Arm chair racerAt the back of the pack
    --
    Lots of good info already. Having owned or rode all of these trikes being discussed these are a few more thoughts. As far as performance (power/suspention) the 350x is last, 83-84 aircooled 250r 2nd and 85-86 R first. The liquid Rs are very smooth riding and have lots of aftermarket if you want to build it. The aircooled Rs are very fun and reliable. They are similar to a 350x stock for stock but have better suspension. The forks are the same size as a 350x but have better valving for aggressive rising. Out back they have pro link suspention and the 350x doesn't. The aircooled Rs can compete with the liquid Rs mod for mod but they can run warm in the sand. Finally, I am 6' 2" and feel kinda cramped on a 350x. All are good choices though!

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

--
    I had 85 and 86r's, 86 trx r and 88 r now. I also have the only known custom framed atc250r out there. I liked the feeling of the 86 frame over 85, that 1/2 degree of rake makes a huge difference on a mx track, if I was into woods riding, I would use the 85 frame geometry, it turns faster. 85 and 86 are totally different machines if you examine them closely, notable difference is: much stronger foot pegs on a 86, stronger bottom shock bolt on 86(as well as much easier to get shock linkage bushings), easier to get rear end parts on 86, 86 frame handles better on higher speeds(at loss of reduced turning ability, most noticable in the woods) and if you plan on getting a cylinder head w/ spark plug straight out in the center......you want a 86 frame. I would go for best condition over the year.

//ArrowChat Integreation Code //