//ArrowChat Code

Thread: New to me 1984 200m

MotorCity is offline At The Back Of The Pack Arm chair racerFirst time rider
    --

New to me 1984 200m

Had to make a long road trip to get this. My stupid dumb phone routed me incorrectly on the way there, then on the way back, highway closed. Man was that a long night.

Other than the electric start, are the 200s and 200m engines the same? Only reason i ask, the owner I bought from, said it "could use a timing chain"...he said "it sounds loud".

This machine doenst look like it has many hours on it. Are the 200m's known for going through chains? I know Honda has good engineering, just have a hard time believing the timing chain going on this...isnt the timing chain tensioner automatic? Or is there an adjustment? Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_4085.jpg 
Views:	40 
Size:	1.59 MB 
ID:	252024Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_4086.jpg 
Views:	30 
Size:	1.58 MB 
ID:	252025Click image for larger version. 

ID:	252025

Please provide feedback, any and all appreciated.

The timing chain does sound a little loud at idle only

--
    I don't have the most experience but I'll shoot a little info out there. Whenever I have a question on if something will fit from another year or if a part is the same as another year I'll go to partzilla.com and look up the corresponding models. The cam chain and accompanying components are the same as an "S" model. Yes, it is an automatic tensioner. I believe after they get some years on them that the tensioner will "freeze up" and not function properly. The adjustment is under that little rubber cap just behind the cylinder on the left side. My 85 200S was froze so I used a 3mm screw threaded into the tensioner adjustment to free it up. Hope this helps. I'm still learning myself so don't take my word as the full truth.

Cheers!

--
    That's a VERY nice score

Honda topends on these four strokes are notoriously loud even when in top condition and adjusted properly BUT you should go over everything anyway. Just don't be too disappointed if it all specs correctly and it's still a bit noisy.

I believe you have to remove the rubber cap, loosen the big nut while motor is running and the tensioner tightens up. I do know if you want to loosen the chain, you loosen the big nut after you take out the small bolt in the end if that assembly and I use a small Phillips screwdriver or a punch to push down in that hole. This stretches the chain tensioner which reduces it's arc and thus backs it off the timing chain.

When adjusting it, it's probably a good idea to remove the small bolt in the end of the adjuster as well and squirt a little oil in.thst hole and use a punch to make sure the tensioner shaft moves up and down freely first when the adjuster is loose.

You need a sevice manual download for Matt's thread on service manual repository

#15 is the small bolt under rubber cap #9 that plugs the access hole to shaft #6 in the pic that can adjust after you loosen #11

Sent from my Z958 using Tapatalk

--
    Here is the manual if you do not already have it. The adjustment on the chain is somewhat automatic. You still have to loosen the bolt etc. Not fully automatic as you don't have to do anything as per say. That is very nice BTW. How far of a drive?

www.oscarmayer.net/atc/manuals
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

'83 200X

Chicks love guys that ride trikes

MotorCity is offline At The Back Of The Pack Arm chair racerFirst time rider
    --
    Thank you all for the feedback and input. I appreciate it very much. I live in southeast Michigan, had to drive to eastern ohio, about 190 miles one way. since my dumbphone routed me wrong on the way there, and a highway was closed on the way back and I had to go way out of my way to get back on highway, it was much longer. Oh well, got to drive through many small towns, which I enjoy.

J.E. is offline New to the board Arm chair racerNew to the board
    --
    Good looking machine!
    1983 Honda ATC 200
    1985 Honda ATC 250ES Big Red

BarnBoy is offline Just Too Addicted Arm chair racerJust too addicted
    --
    Quote Originally Posted by MotorCity View Post
    Had to make a long road trip to get this. My stupid dumb phone routed me incorrectly on the way there, then on the way back, highway closed. Man was that a long night.

Other than the electric start, are the 200s and 200m engines the same? Only reason i ask, the owner I bought from, said it "could use a timing chain"...he said "it sounds loud".

This machine doenst look like it has many hours on it. Are the 200m's known for going through chains? I know Honda has good engineering, just have a hard time believing the timing chain going on this...isnt the timing chain tensioner automatic? Or is there an adjustment? Click image for larger version. 

ID:	252025Click image for larger version. 

ID:	252025

Please provide feedback, any and all appreciated.

The timing chain does sound a little loud at idle only
    Wow! That is one of the cleanest 200M's I have seen in a while. Very nice. You will like it, I have an '84 and love it. My timing chain/valves are super noisy, it really needs a rebuild. I would try the 3mm screw trick and see if that doesent help. Otherwise maybe consider a new chain and guides. They arent known for going through chains really. Maybe look around on youtube and try find a few vids of other 200M's running. Then you could get an idea on what they should sound like.

And no, 200S engine is very different on the left side. Different flywheel, ect because it has electric start. Top and bottom ends and clutches are the same I think. Minus the crank of course.
    1984 HONDA ATC200M - OG, mid-restoration
    1981 HONDA ATC200 - future build
    1981 HONDA ATC185S - parts
    1984 ATC200X - roller, future build
    1984 Honda ATC250r - in a million pieces- ISO grab bar, PM if you have one

Da velder

86125m is offline Got The Holeshot Arm chair racerJust too addicted
    --
    Yea love my 84 as well but mine didn't come to me that nice when I got it it had acorns in the airbox and had been left outside and run without the spark advancer cover. It was a mess and now it looks like this

--

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

--
    Quote Originally Posted by 86125m View Post

Not meaning to hijack this thread, but man that's a nice color scheme. Haven't seen it before but it really stands out. Well done.
    1985 Honda ATC 250ES
    1985 Honda ATC 250SX
    1984 Honda ATC 200M
    1983 Honda ATC 200
    1984 Honda ATC 110

--
    Quote Originally Posted by Big G View Post
    Not meaning to hijack this thread, but man that's a nice color scheme. Haven't seen it before but it really stands out. Well done.
    Thanks I really like it as well. I got the white fiberglass fenders for cheap and decided Instead of painting them red i would get the tank painted white along with the headlight bucket and forks. The decals are stock reproductions that i had done at a local decal shop. As far as i know i have the only white 200m.

//ArrowChat Integreation Code //