//ArrowChat Code

Thread: Tri z head stud removal question

--

Tri z head stud removal question

Newbie question...need to replace my head studs, was told I need a tool, (motion pro) brand was mentioned, others have told me I don't all I need is nuts n wrenches. I'd rather have a good tool if avail
    So if I need a tool what and where can I get it, I searched but didn't come up with anything difinitive

Thanks
    I need all the help I can get!

--
    https://www.amazon.com/OTC-Metric-St.../dp/B000HTAXFQ

Make sure you use a torch to heat them up well inside the cases. Mapp gas should be sufficient
    Feedback for yaegerb: Click Here

Need something blasted or polished or both? Send me a PM

--
    I removed the studs from my Tri-Z recently. First, squirt some penetrating oil around the base of the studs and let them soak. I just used 2 nuts. Screw both on, tighten them against each other, put a wrench on the bottom one, and back it out. It's best to use the closed end of the wrench and put it on before you screw the nuts on. I have a stud remover but didn't use it. The way mine is designed, it tends to mare the studs. This is a case where the simpler approach works just as well or better. If you want a stud remover, this is the one I have used. Usually I only use it for really stubborn studs, like cylinder base studs if they are frozen and I'm going to replace them.

http://www.sears.com/kd-tools-stud-e...FUuSYgodBhoFvA

--
    As well as all the above I find a good straight down smack with a is the trick to getting the stubborn ones to break loose.

If you must reuse them (the short studs on the left side are no longer available from Yamaha) heat them up and apply the Penetrating oil as they cool. Seems to suck the oil in as it cools. Then let them sit overnight in a position conducive to gravity pulling the oil down.

Put the nuts on and tighten them really good. It never hurts to try to turn the studs a little further into the cases before attempting to turn them out for the first time in a gazillion years.

Then smack the top with a , reheat and they should come right out. If you are encountering resistance as they are turning out, then turn them back in and repeat this process as you are bringing them out. There is no need to fight whatever gunk is stuck inside those threads as you may end up damaging the aluminum threads in your cases. Think of it as you would if you were tapping a hole, you don’t just go all the way in when doing it by hand, you have to constantly go back-and-forth to break the chips.

I agree with Christph’s suggestion of putting the box end of the wrench under the nuts, but in the event that the first attempt doesn’t work I’ve turned a few wrenches blue reheating the studs.

Get high quality nuts for this job and not soft junk, then you can safely use the open end of your wrench.
    Last edited by El Camexican; 05-06-2018 at 01:32 PM.
    It sucks to get old

--
    Well this was too easy, went to try the double nut method, when I was tightening the top nut, noticed the stud was loose, I removed the case stud (by hand) w my fingers ...lol Case threads look okay. Cool!Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20180508_191623.jpg 
Views:	12 
Size:	913.1 KB 
ID:	252152

--
    Quote Originally Posted by this old rz View Post
    Well this was too easy, went to try the double nut method, when I was tightening the top nut, noticed the stud was loose, I removed the case stud (by hand) w my fingers ...lol Case threads look okay. Cool!Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20180508_191623.jpg 
Views:	12 
Size:	913.1 KB 
ID:	252152
    Careful, it looks like you dog thinks it’s a bone for him.
    It sucks to get old

//ArrowChat Integreation Code //