//ArrowChat Code
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Tracking down a noise in my '85 250r...

--

Tracking down a noise in my '85 250r...

This is the first 2 stroke I've owned in over 15 years so I'm not too keen on all the clatter these things make. Even though that's the case, it still seems like this thing is making more racket than it should. It's a rattle that happens cold or warm, idle or high rpm, all of the time basically.

I pulled the engine out and removed both side covers. The only thing I can see is that there is a bit of side to side wobble motion in the kicker gear on the shaft. Like there's too much clearance between the gear and shaft. It has also rubbed a bit on the rib inside the clutch cover.

Already know I need to do something about the kicker since every once in a while it doesn't engage. From the little I've read, this is a common problem on '85s...

Either way, is it possible I'm getting the rattle from the wobble in the kicker gear? Something else I should be looking at?

--
    The counter balancers get noisy when the bearings have wear .
    Could also be excessive piston slap .
    78 atc 90/180cc Dickson Full Suspension
    76 ATC90/180cc Nicholson
    77 atc 90 Dickson Full Suspension
    84 KLT 110/123cc Powroll Racer from 80s
    87 atc 125m stock
    84 atc 200x Curtis Sparks
    84 atc 200x Powroll My race bike from 80's
    83 atc70/108cc Powroll blue Xmas Special
    81 atc185s HP-ATC full suspension

Performance Shop is Open PM me for Service

My Feedback http://www.3wheelerworld.com/showthr...ck+shortline10

--
    Have heard that one as well. Seems louder on the right side of the bike though. But from years of being an auto mechanic, I know sounds aren't necessarily loudest where they originate from...

--
    Quote Originally Posted by HyKlas View Post
    Have heard that one as well. Seems louder on the right side of the bike though. But from years of being an auto mechanic, I know sounds aren't necessarily loudest where they originate from...
    That’s the bearing that goes out in the counterbalancer. The right side bearing behind the gear.
    Feedback for yaegerb: Click Here

Need something blasted or polished or both? Send me a PM

--
    Makes sense, that's the one which would have the most load on it. I'll pull it tonight and see what's up.

--
    Few other random bits that need fixin'... That stator really chaps my butt since the 3rd bolt and bottom piece weren't even in there. Guess the last guy figured it was okay.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20180506_181057.jpg 
Views:	35 
Size:	2.55 MB 
ID:	252102

Name:	IMG_20180506_174441.jpg 
Views:	28 
Size:	2.22 MB 
ID:	252101

--
    Few other random bits that need fixin'... That stator really chaps my butt since the 3rd bolt and bottom piece weren't even in there. Guess the last guy figured it was okay.

Name:	IMG_20180506_181057.jpg 
Views:	35 
Size:	2.55 MB 
ID:	252102
    WOW! That was a stator explosion waiting to happen. Good thing you caught that now rather than later. thanks

Sent from my Z958 using Tapatalk

--
    While your in the stator side, check the tightness of the flywheel-to-center hub rivets. Those can get loose & cause quite a racket too.
    Red Rider's Sand Machine Updated 07/23/14

--
    Rivets are a little rusty on the outside but seem tight.

Looks like this gear tooth was left in the case from a previous repair as I can't seem to find where it goes. Good thing it didn't get eaten!

Name:	IMG_20180506_224249.jpg 
Views:	19 
Size:	1.65 MB 
ID:	252107

--
    After everything you've found, I'd be wondering what else is still lurking. If it were mine, it would be time to split the cases, and send in a recon team. You've already dodged some bullets, why take the chance that this thing is done shooting at you?

--
    You know it... Ordered the Tusk case splitter and crank puller kit before I even found this stuff. We'll be doing a full inspection and refresh of everything. I'm definitely a "while you're in there" kind of guy...

--
    You know it... Ordered the Tusk case splitter and crank puller kit before I even found this stuff. We'll be doing a full inspection and refresh of everything. I'm definitely a "while you're in there" kind of guy...
    Good going! I like the way you think.

--
    Take pics and post up.... especially if there's more carnage to be found.

--
    Everyone wants to see carnage! Except me...

Found where that tooth goes. It's off 1st gear... Crazy how it made it all the way out to the clutch cover without getting chewed on.

Name:	IMG_20180507_223141.jpg 
Views:	29 
Size:	1.70 MB 
ID:	252128

--
    Everyone wants to see carnage! Except me...

Found where that tooth goes. It's off 1st gear... Crazy how it made it all the way out to the clutch cover without getting chewed on.
    It's good you caught it though, because that would have led to way more carnage soon enough. You got lucky there.

//ArrowChat Integreation Code //