//ArrowChat Code

Upcoming Events for the Next 120 Day(s)

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
Results 31 to 37 of 37

Thread: .308 vs 6.5 Creedmoor

  1. #31
    Join Date
    Jul 2018
    Location
    TN
    --
    144
    You could also install a Holbrook device. No permanent modification and stops the bolt from slamming that thumb.
    Amateur Resurrectionist

  2. #32
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Bowling Green KY
    --
    3,470
    Quote Originally Posted by Scootertrash View Post

    Got one of these to get built first

    Attachment 254350
    Whaaaaaat?



    Built from a parts kit?.... Cuz Ive been eyeballing those kits.


    Sent from my Z958 using Tapatalk

  3. #33
    Scootertrash's Avatar
    Scootertrash is offline Just Too Addicted: Protecting Our Community 4 Wheels? Huh?
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    MN
    --
    3,506
    Quote Originally Posted by ironchop View Post
    Whaaaaaat?



    Built from a parts kit?.... Cuz Ive been eyeballing those kits.


    Sent from my Z958 using Tapatalk


    Yes, you are correct sir!

    I bought my kit last spring or summer

    I picked up a Beretta receiver from a Danish M1 Garand on the CMP BuySellTrade forum. Beretta M1 parts are like hens teeth in the USofA, interestingly in Canada they are plentiful. I'm sure there is some f'ed up law as to why they can't be imported.

    Any M1 Garand receiver can be modified to work, but I wanted to try to be as close to original as possible. You have to use BM59 magazines unless you have the receiver modified to use M14 mags, once again, I wanted to maintain as close to original as possible. Aside from that, the BM59 magazines are pretty heavy duty. I've never seen or held an M14 mag, but I've heard that they seem chintzy compared to the BM59 mags. If you ran out of ammo you could throw the empty mags as a diversionary tactic, I wouldn't want to get hit by one

    There are two versions of kits out there IIRC. One is the BM59 the other is the BM59E, I can't remember what the differences were.

    Also, IIRC, the remaining kits are missing some small parts, standard parts LLC has a "missing parts" kit from time to time. Otherwise I'm sure they could be found somewhere else. You may be able to find complete kits on Gunbroker or other gun auction/sale forums.
    Who is Q?

    Quote Originally Posted by fabiodriven View Post
    Trick the people into thinking they're enacting their own will and you have willing slaves.

    Liberalism suspends the intellect of its victims, while at the same time tricking them into believing that they're smarter than everyone else.


    If we've done business together, please leave me feedback. Thank You!:

    http://www.3wheelerworld.com/showthr...t=Scootertrash

  4. #34
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Bowling Green KY
    --
    3,470
    Quote Originally Posted by Scootertrash View Post
    Yes, you are correct sir!

    I bought my kit last spring or summer

    I picked up a Beretta receiver from a Danish M1 Garand on the CMP BuySellTrade forum. Beretta M1 parts are like hens teeth in the USofA, interestingly in Canada they are plentiful. I'm sure there is some f'ed up law as to why they can't be imported.

    Any M1 Garand receiver can be modified to work, but I wanted to try to be as close to original as possible. You have to use BM59 magazines unless you have the receiver modified to use M14 mags, once again, I wanted to maintain as close to original as possible. Aside from that, the BM59 magazines are pretty heavy duty. I've never seen or held an M14 mag, but I've heard that they seem chintzy compared to the BM59 mags. If you ran out of ammo you could throw the empty mags as a diversionary tactic, I wouldn't want to get hit by one

    There are two versions of kits out there IIRC. One is the BM59 the other is the BM59E, I can't remember what the differences were.

    Also, IIRC, the remaining kits are missing some small parts, standard parts LLC has a "missing parts" kit from time to time. Otherwise I'm sure they could be found somewhere else. You may be able to find complete kits on Gunbroker or other gun auction/sale forums.
    Awesome! Can't wait to see the finished product.

    They had a few kits at the last six Knob Creek shows I've been to do I've had a chance to check them over in person and I think they are great quality rifles. I'll bet Fulton Armory or Numrich (Gun Parts Corp) has anything missing... Probably Sarco too. Sarco has a booth at every KCMGS I've ever been to and it's fun picking thru their piles of parts and Dave always brings stuff that's listed as out of stock on the website

    The next KCMGS show is in a month

    Funny you mentioned the receiver because that's one of the things that had me holding back. I've seen some 80% castings but they were more like 60% and cost $175. I only located one 100% papered receiver on GunBroker when I looked and I think I recall it was $400

    Building from parts kits is a freaking blast and VERY addicting. You can't just do one.

    Sent from my Z958 using Tapatalk
    Last edited by ironchop; 09-08-2018 at 09:48 AM.

  5. #35
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Soutwestern PA
    --
    1,817
    Quote Originally Posted by Scootertrash View Post
    I use the "edge of hand on the bolt" method just for the sake of my thumb. Never gotten "M1 thumb" yet.
    Good link! I watched that and several other YouTube vids on the topic. It also appears that as long you keep down pressure on the top cartridge/clip the action won't slam shut.
    My ammo arrived, so it it ever stops raining I will get to try out this beast.

    But one more question about loading... and this wasn't addressed in any of the videos:
    Why not just use both hands to load it??
    Seems like I can firmly hold the operating rod handle back with my right hand, while I insert the clip with my left, clear my left hand, and let it fly?
    It there some danger or issue with this approach? Is it just bad form? Seems like the most logical way to me (but what do I know?).

  6. #36
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    TTown, Alabama, United States
    --
    764
    i do it the way the video shows, because i found i dont have a good grip on it if I use both hands and there's an action slamming shut and bad things could happen but maybe I'm paranoid because of a chinese sks i once had...
    Suicide Hill Survivor

    The rides:
    1981 ATC110
    1982 ATC185
    1983 ATC185s
    1984 ATC200es
    1985 ATC200x

    When the going gets tough, the tough get sideways

  7. #37
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Bowling Green KY
    --
    3,470
    Quote Originally Posted by 83ATC185 View Post
    i do it the way the video shows, because i found i dont have a good grip on it if I use both hands and there's an action slamming shut and bad things could happen but maybe I'm paranoid because of a chinese sks i once had...
    Try an Egyptian Hakim.... It's like trying to load a meat slicer while it's running

    Sent from my Z958 using Tapatalk

//ArrowChat Integreation Code //