//ArrowChat Code

Thread: Custom Tri-z clutch basket

--

Custom Tri-z clutch basket

I finally got the billet clutch basket finished for my Tri-z, just came back from the platers today.
    I made this at work after hours out of a piece of scrap Aluminum.
    I was already halfway done with it before I realized that Talon makes them. So I bought one of those and an extra set of mounting hardware.
    I reverse engineered this from my junk, stock basket.
    I weighed my stock basket 9.12oz., my custom basket 9.44oz. and the talon basket 12oz.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 20180515_190336.jpg   20180515_190406.jpg   20161015_115832.jpg  

--
    DAMN!

VERY NICE PIECE

Sent from my Z958 using Tapatalk

--
    Very impressive!!! The reason the Talon baskets weigh more than the stockers is that they have much thicker fingers. I think the diameter is about 3 or 4 mm bigger on the Talon. Requires grinding a tiny bit of material off the inside of the clutch cover to clear.
    It sucks to get old

--
    Quote Originally Posted by El Camexican View Post
    Very impressive!!! The reason the Talon baskets weigh more than the stockers is that they have much thicker fingers. I think the diameter is about 3 or 4 mm bigger on the Talon. Requires grinding a tiny bit of material off the inside of the clutch cover to clear.
    Winner winner chicken dinner. They are stout baystads
    Feedback for yaegerb: Click Here

Need something blasted or polished or both? Send me a PM

--
    Very nice. How are you connecting the clutch gear--the large one on back?

--
    I thank you gentlemen for the kind words. The Talon baskets are quite a bit beefier than mine. I did my best to shave weight everywhere that I could without allowing any dimensions to fall below my stock baskets measurements.
    I found that my stock clutch basket had an overall taper of .060in from bottom to top on the O.D. It measured 5.895in at the bottom, and 5.835in at the top. Since the clutch discs didn't even reach the outer edge of the stock basket, I made mine 5.845in with a straight wall on the O.D.
    I did buy two new baskets from Talon ($200ea.), and one extra mounting hardware kit ($20).
    I thought I should have "Plan B" ready in case mine fails.
    The Talon baskets also have a straight wall on their O.D., and measure at 5.910in(probably why they rub). I'd recommend the Talon clutch baskets to anyone, but you should use longer mounting bolts than what they supply with their kit.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20180517_172827.jpg 
Views:	17 
Size:	1.59 MB 
ID:	252418 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20180517_172752.jpg 
Views:	18 
Size:	1.58 MB 
ID:	252419
    christph: the only special part of the mounting kit is the rivet nuts. They look like they were turned on a lathe, out of hex stock. They're sized for a slip-fit in the factory gear.

--
    Quote Originally Posted by bobtdms View Post
    I'd recommend the Talon clutch baskets to anyone, but you should use longer mounting bolts than what they supply with their kit.
    I called them about the short bolts. They said there's no stress on the bolts and that's why they are so short. Said its all side loading.
    It sucks to get old

--
    I thank you gentlemen for the kind words. The Talon baskets are quite a bit beefier than mine. I did my best to shave weight everywhere that I could without allowing any dimensions to fall below my stock baskets measurements.
    I found that my stock clutch basket had an overall taper of .060in from bottom to top on the O.D. It measured 5.895in at the bottom, and 5.835in at the top. Since the clutch discs didn't even reach the outer edge of the stock basket, I made mine 5.845in with a straight wall on the O.D.
    I did buy two new baskets from Talon ($200ea.), and one extra mounting hardware kit ($20).
    I thought I should have "Plan B" ready in case mine fails.
    The Talon baskets also have a straight wall on their O.D., and measure at 5.910in(probably why they rub). I'd recommend the Talon clutch baskets to anyone, but you should use longer mounting bolts than what they supply with their kit.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20180517_172827.jpg 
Views:	17 
Size:	1.59 MB 
ID:	252418 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20180517_172752.jpg 
Views:	18 
Size:	1.58 MB 
ID:	252419
    christph: the only special part of the mounting kit is the rivet nuts. They look like they were turned on a lathe, out of hex stock. They're sized for a slip-fit in the factory gear.
    Where did you order your Talon baskets from? What YZ models share the basket with the Z--I assume they don't list them under TRI-Z.

--
    Dubya USA, is the U.S. distributor for Talon parts. www.dubyausa.com. ph. 714-279-0200
    The talon part number is TY004, I believe the Dubya number is 68-023. They have it listed under 83'-87' YZ250 and 83'-96' YZ490.

--
    Dubya USA, is the U.S. distributor for Talon parts. www.dubyausa.com. ph. 714-279-0200
    The talon part number is TY004, I believe the Dubya number is 68-023. They have it listed under 83'-87' YZ250 and 83'-96' YZ490.
    I got a couple from them, but I had to wait 2 months for delivery, $200ea plus shipping. There is a member on here that stocks and sells them as well. $225 delivered, no waiting. He'll even install them if you want. They are listed in the ATV Classified section.
    Last edited by El Camexican; 05-19-2018 at 04:42 PM.
    It sucks to get old

--
    Beautiful work! I had the same idea and was going to produce a batch of them but..... At $200 for a talon one I have a hard time talking myself into the time it will take to produce one. As you well know hours of design and machine time. Aint nobody got time for that! haha. Did you use 6061?
    1985 tri-z pretty much stock

//ArrowChat Integreation Code //