//ArrowChat Code
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Rebuilding a shock

--
    Quote Originally Posted by fabiodriven View Post
    Oh no worries, it's a thread about shocks!

I went to the Honda dealer today to get the shock charged but unfortunately they won't be able to do it until Saturday, so I brought the shock home with me and I'll go back up there Saturday.

When I got home, I installed the shock just so I could put the rear of the bike on the ground and lift the front to rebuild the forks. The shock as it is now with no nitrogen in it feels blown. I've never done this before so I don't know, is that normal? Should it feel like it's blown even though it's full of oil but with no nitrogen charge? I'm very curious because I want to find out if I've done this right or not, also because I don't want to waste the money on a charge if I'm going to have to take it all apart again.
    When the hose tore on mine, it was instantly back to being a pogo stick. Didn’t feel like you were compressing oil. But that’s in the bike still not with my bare hands. And no hose attached. But take it as you will. Kinda similar situation.

fabiodriven is offline Aspiring romance novel cover model, and the Official 3WW slayer of thieves and swindlers. Catch me if you can
    --
    Ghost all you'll have to do is fill and bleed the shock, put the new hose and reservoir on, bleed that, fill with nitrogen, and you'll be good. I was going to do that but decided to rebuild mine instead.
    85 Tri-Zinger 60
    85 ATC250SX
    86 ATC250SX
    87 ATC250SX
    02 XR650L conversion
    84 ATC 480R

--
    Start Hijack
    Quote Originally Posted by Green4life View Post
    Hey jb2wheels I thought about putting a banshee shock on my tecate as well. I have an 85 what year did you use and was it front or back banshee shock
    Any year Banshee rear shock
    Get the bolts and mounting point seals, etc.
    Mount upside down on T3
    Drill T3 upper mount bigger.
    Fits stock swing arms but will not fit some aftermarket like West Coast
    Slightly short than stock with slightly heavier spring

If you're patient you can get one for $40 or so.
    I got really lucky and grabbed 2 for $25ea on a buy it now auction about 30 minutes after it posted.

I also added an adjustable link because with the combination of 22" tires, Maier low-pro fenders, and me the tires rub on the fenders often.

It's no Fox Twin-Clicker but it's better than my blown out stocker.

End Hijack

fabiodriven is offline Aspiring romance novel cover model, and the Official 3WW slayer of thieves and swindlers. Catch me if you can
    --
    I found this video which does answer some of my questions and gives me some hope that my shock will perform correctly once charged, but I'm still wondering if it's correct for my shock to feel like it's blown because it doesn't have nitrogen in it. If I don't figure that out ahead of time I'll just go ahead and get it charged and if it's not right oh well, back apart it will come.

https://youtu.be/JjAiYKQj1V8
    85 Tri-Zinger 60
    85 ATC250SX
    86 ATC250SX
    87 ATC250SX
    02 XR650L conversion
    84 ATC 480R

--
    Well I dropped the shock off today for charging. The guy at the Honda dealer who charges shocks won't be in until Monday unfortunately, and the suspense is killing me. I asked them to relay the message to the shock guy to please see how the shock feels before he charges it to see if it feels right to him, so we'll see what happens.

Glamy I tried going to the welding supply place last week to see if they'd do it but they didn't have the means.

Fingers crossed!
    85 Tri-Zinger 60
    85 ATC250SX
    86 ATC250SX
    87 ATC250SX
    02 XR650L conversion
    84 ATC 480R

--

Rebuilding a shock

My shock rebuild has been a complete and utter failure. I'm not going to express the level of disappointment I'm feeling about this right now and I might just stay home this June.
    85 Tri-Zinger 60
    85 ATC250SX
    86 ATC250SX
    87 ATC250SX
    02 XR650L conversion
    84 ATC 480R

--
    Bummer man! Don’t let this setback get you all deflated. It’s time to rebound, and get work done!
    Red Rider's Sand Machine Updated 07/23/14

--
    I forgot to ask previously, is there a supplier where i can order the correct length hose and fittings for the reservoir to attach to the shock?
    Or can i pretty much call up any suspension place and place an order for this type of stuff?

--
    Lower washer stack was upside-down. It's back together and getting charged tonight.
    85 Tri-Zinger 60
    85 ATC250SX
    86 ATC250SX
    87 ATC250SX
    02 XR650L conversion
    84 ATC 480R

//ArrowChat Integreation Code //