//ArrowChat Code

Thread: Yamaha Tri-Z Experts - HALLLLLP!

--

Question Yamaha Tri-Z Experts - HALLLLLP!

Gentleman, I've got a few dozen questions concerning my 85 Z Resto but I'm going to condense them somewhat quickly here for now. I have included Numbers on all attached photos for relevance. Your expert advice is beyond appreciated (in advance):

1. Does anyone have a proper diagram (or better yet VIDEO) outlining the exact placement & positioning for every aspect of the OEM Fuel System. I have always had only one petcock. I know that isn't right but, lets face it, the 2nd petcock for the reserve is silly. I essentially need to know (see) how everything is supposed to be correctly so I can do it incorrectly. I'm also wondering if my fuel pump is OEM. I've owned this machine since circa 2003. I forgot about it and left it sitting outside rotting circa 2006 before doing a full "cost is of no concern" resto this year that has firmly reminded me why if I can't pay someone else to do it absolutely perfectly; I shouldn't be doing it. Regardless, Here we are & everythings "new" (Literally or close enough). My questions are: Is my Fuel Pump Correct and is my Petcock the correct not-the-reserve petcock?

2. Exhaust System. One of the few things I didn't replace was the exhaust system. It has an unidentified header ("expansion chamber" w/e you 2 Stroke Maniacs prefer. #BRAPPP) that I think is likely just a DG/Cobra free flowing aftermarket (loud) item. The silencer, however, is an authentic KLEMM Research. My Questions are: can anyone ID my Header and how rare are the KLEMM Research Silencers really? Shouldn't my header have a gasket in it? (I assume thats an easy YES but...idk)

3. Rear Suspension & Wheels. Is there anything wrong here as far as fitment on that lower shock to swingarm link? I feel like I may have put the bottom link in backwards...but I already thought that once before and switched it. Maybe nothing is even close - That is why I'm here. Good thing I took a ton of photos before the resto of completely irrelevant unhelpful fitments. -_-
    These Gold wheels - They're 9 Inchers when OEM was 8 inch, correct? They had OHTSU or w/e all the Hondas ran OEM Tires. Do I have 250R Rims on this thing or more likely Banshee/Warrior wheels?

4. Coolant Tank. Where the heck do you mount the overflow tank on these things? That was another part the previous owner 15+ Years ago decided wasn't necessary. I've never had an overflow until I bought one for the resto 2 monthes ago. I even went to ask the parts guy at my local Yamaha dealer and the schematics don't even show any relevant mounting information. Also, I see them mounted in several places for everyone else's Z's. My assumption is it should go under the rear fenders and the hole is there for the cap...right?...and it mounts via a strap like the Boost Bottle does...Right? lol i see them mounted at every end of these machines and its driving me wild!!

That will be it for tonight, I have some really exciting nitpicking OEM Bolt questions for a later date.

Thank you again, Everybody who can assist!

-Mak
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails dfdsf.jpg   32731985_1897812876917311_650039305930014720_n.jpg   32738523_1897812956917303_2816643581396123648_n.jpg   32754025_1897812490250683_8788084729267093504_n.jpg   32673711_1897812806917318_5201287158748413952_n.jpg   32684128_1897812393584026_3636942563534962688_n.jpg  

32706696_1897812643584001_6077778855878197248_n.jpg  

--
    Sent you a pm
    It sucks to get old

--
    Don't forget to post more pics of your machine as you figure it out/restore it.

There's not enough Tri-Zs on here. We could use some more Z-love

Sent from my Z958 using Tapatalk

--
    Quote Originally Posted by Makaveli View Post
    Gentleman, I've got a few dozen questions concerning my 85 Z Resto but I'm going to condense them somewhat quickly here for now. I have included Numbers on all attached photos for relevance. Your expert advice is beyond appreciated (in advance):
    1. Does anyone have a proper diagram (or better yet VIDEO) outlining the exact placement & positioning for every aspect of the OEM Fuel System. I have always had only one petcock. I know that isn't right but, lets face it, the 2nd petcock for the reserve is silly. I essentially need to know (see) how everything is supposed to be correctly so I can do it incorrectly. I'm also wondering if my fuel pump is OEM. I've owned this machine since circa 2003. I forgot about it and left it sitting outside rotting circa 2006 before doing a full "cost is of no concern" resto this year that has firmly reminded me why if I can't pay someone else to do it absolutely perfectly; I shouldn't be doing it. Regardless, Here we are & everythings "new" (Literally or close enough). My questions are: Is my Fuel Pump Correct and is my Petcock the correct not-the-reserve petcock?
    You don’t have the OEM fuel pump The pump you have puts out about 1/3 the volume of the OEM pump, but that said I’ve seen them on 440 sleds, so I don’t know why the Tri Z needed such a big pump . The OEM pump looks like the one in the photos. The routing is as shown. I don’t think the secondary petcock is there just because Yamaha wanted to add cost to the trike. There was either a law about having one, or they didn’t want them to start syphoning up from the tank and though the carbs however that might have happened in the right circumstances. Mine leaked in the trailer once, so I know it can happen. You can get the correct pump on eBay for under $50 bucks and rebuild it for under $30 more.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Tri Z Pump 1.JPG 
Views:	21 
Size:	2.02 MB 
ID:	252423

Name:	Tri Z PUMP 2.JPG 
Size:	2.42 MB 
ID:	252424

Name:	Tri Z PUMP 3.JPG 
Views:	18 
Size:	2.27 MB 
ID:	252425

Name:	Tri Z PUMP 4.JPG 
Views:	18 
Size:	2.28 MB 
ID:	252426

2. Exhaust System. One of the few things I didn't replace was the exhaust system. It has an unidentified header ("expansion chamber" w/e you 2 Stroke Maniacs prefer. #BRAPPP) that I think is likely just a DG/Cobra free flowing aftermarket (loud) item. The silencer, however, is an authentic KLEMM Research. My Questions are: can anyone ID my Header and how rare are the KLEMM Research Silencers really? Shouldn't my header have a gasket in it? (I assume thats an easy YES but...idk)
    That is for sure not a DG pipe and if you do have a Klemm silencer (I can’t tell) you might also have a Klemm pipe, or one marketed by him. If so, lucky you, those are not common. I’m sure someone out there will trade you an OEM pipe and silencer for them. There is supposed to be a collar that fits over the snout of the cylinder and into the pipe. Not running one makes a big mess and will eventually ruin your cylinder. You will have a hard time finding a stock one, but there are aftermarket units for sale on the 3WW store, or directly from our 3WW friend Muthey. You can get a stock looking one, or upgrade to his new o-ring unit. We won’t tell anyone it’s not OEM

Name:	Tri Z EX.JPG 
Size:	2.27 MB 
ID:	252427

3. Rear Suspension & Wheels. Is there anything wrong here as far as fitment on that lower shock to swingarm link? I feel like I may have put the bottom link in backwards...but I already thought that once before and switched it. Maybe nothing is even close - That is why I'm here. Good thing I took a ton of photos before the resto of completely irrelevant unhelpful fitments. -_-
    These Gold wheels - They're 9 Inchers when OEM was 8 inch, correct? They had OHTSU or w/e all the Hondas ran OEM Tires. Do I have 250R Rims on this thing or more likely Banshee/Warrior wheels?
    Suspension looks fine. Here are photos to look at. Not sure what wheels came stock as mine came with aftermarket rims.

Name:	Tri Z 006.JPG 
Views:	15 
Size:	2.72 MB 
ID:	252428

Name:	Tri Z 018.JPG 
Views:	13 
Size:	1.63 MB 
ID:	252429

4. Coolant Tank. Where the heck do you mount the overflow tank on these things? That was another part the previous owner 15+ Years ago decided wasn't necessary. I've never had an overflow until I bought one for the resto 2 monthes ago. I even went to ask the parts guy at my local Yamaha dealer and the schematics don't even show any relevant mounting information. Also, I see them mounted in several places for everyone else's Z's. My assumption is it should go under the rear fenders and the hole is there for the cap...right?...and it mounts via a strap like the Boost Bottle does...Right? lol i see them mounted at every end of these machines and its driving me wild!!
    If your trike is an 85 the coolant tank mounts behind the carb and in front of the shock. There should be a cross bar welded between the frame tubes with two large holes that hold rubber grommets that the tank bolts to. You need to remove the tank to run a pod filter. If you have an 86 the coolant tank mounts above the drive sprocket area on the side of the frame and I think that one uses a rubber strap like the boost bottle, but I don’t think the 85 uses a strap on the bottle .

Name:	Tri Z COOL (1).JPG 
Views:	14 
Size:	2.13 MB 
ID:	252430

You can click on here to see an 86 mount. https://www.google.com/search?q=1986...=1526599659899
    It sucks to get old

--
    Thank you so much, El Camexican. Beyond helpful! Where the heck did I end up with that fuel pump from? I always thought it looked like it was off a Lawn Tractor but you're hinting that it might be just a generic aftermarket snowmobile fuel pump? The odd things these bums do to these poor machines -_-

THANK YOU AGAIN, My friend!!

-Mak

--
    Those pumps are found on a lot of machines, lawn mowers, dirt bikes, snowmobiles, riding tractors etc. I’m sure you don’t have the only Tri Z that ended up with one. Much cheaper than the Tri Z pump and probably installed prior to the advent of eBay where you can now get a rebuild kit for under $30 bucks.
    It sucks to get old

--
    EL CAMEXICAN. All I have to say are three words. "You are the man" ! I've read you posts throughout the years and you are awesome. I just wanted to say that. Have a nice day.

--
    Quote Originally Posted by Yamaha3wheeler View Post
    EL CAMEXICAN. All I have to say are three words. "You are the man" ! I've read you posts throughout the years and you are awesome. I just wanted to say that. Have a nice day.
    Technically that’s four words but I’m cyber blushing here so I’ll let it slide.

I appreciate that you realize it takes a bit of effort to answer some questions, but I don’t mind doing it if I know the answer and time permits because I’ve been asking others questions and learning from the answers for over 50 years, so the least I can do is pass on the knowledge I’ve picked up along the way.

Life gives us back everything we put into it and more.

Peace bro
    It sucks to get old

--
    I'm pretty sure that is a Klemm pipe that you have. Check out www.klemmvintage.com
    Go into their "about us" section, and scroll down. I have the same pipe, and the silencer that they show as being part of their "Tri-z 200, 250 and 341cc national kits". I also have the same silencer shown in the pic. I'm not sure if they are actual klemm products, or just what they sold with the engine kits.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20180118_195035.jpg 
Views:	16 
Size:	2.39 MB 
ID:	252529

Name:	20180118_194825.jpg 
Views:	13 
Size:	1.69 MB 
ID:	252530

--
    MANY MANY Thanks for your help, El Camexican (love that name lol) & everybody else. In all honesty, I think I've about given up for now & really can't be bothered to do the 1% of work the machine needs to be finished. Here is where it was at for all interested who contributed. Again, THANK YOU!

Name:	32419252_1894795610552371_306155928967708672_n.jpg 
Views:	26 
Size:	502.4 KB 
ID:	252650

--
    Where is BLC?
    It sucks to get old

3Z with Fangs! is offline At The Back Of The Pack Arm chair racerFirst time rider
    --
    Any updates on this restoration? Looks like it was coming along nice.

//ArrowChat Integreation Code //