//ArrowChat Code
Page 2 of 17 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 12 ... LastLast

Thread: KTM Three Wheeler Conversion - Done!!!

--
    Quote Originally Posted by El Camexican View Post
    In for a penny, in for a pound.

Attachment 252560
    That's not a dirt tire!

Sent from my Z958 using Tapatalk

--
    Quote Originally Posted by fabiodriven View Post
    This is great Nico. Just remember, it's going to be more work than you think. I've been wrenching full time on three willers lately and I've noticed how much more work everything is than I'm anticipating! I'm excited to see this though and I know it's going to come out great. Chappy's quad is mere paces from me so...
    No doubt this is going to be a challenge.

Hopefully I won’t have to bug you too much for quad information, but I appreciate that it is available. The only big unknown right now is how the seat attaches to the rear fender. I’m not sure if there are some brackets I need to buy, or if it just clips into place with what looks like a rubber strap at the back.

The Tecates kicked to the rear right? At a glance it seems that I will probably have to either cut the fender on the kickstart side, or kick start the vehicle with my toe while facing towards the rear and standing on the ground. These engines aren’t that hard to start with the stock stock head, I guess they use a friendly ratio.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	5E14C774-1C38-46EA-92E6-5129746B2A44.jpeg 
Views:	56 
Size:	2.69 MB 
ID:	252562
    It sucks to get old

fabiodriven is offline Aspiring romance novel cover model, and the Official 3WW slayer of thieves and swindlers. Catch me if you can
    --

Wish me luck!

I will say that the plastics are unnecessarily complex to remove from that quad. I don't recall right this moment how the seat attaches, but every time we have to do anything to that quad, it's a lot of time. My opinion would be to forget how KTM does it and look to the masters of three wheeled production, you guessed it; Honda. Take a chapter from their book and make a seat that attaches to the plastics and have the whole kit and kabootle removable with one simple leever. (Say it, LEEVER) Then it doesn't matter if your kick start goes left, right, up, down, or gay (not that there's anything wrong with that). You'll have all the room in the world to kick. This is assuming, however, that you don't figure a way to do it with the plastics attached. Yes, Kawi had an indent on the Tech-8 fenders so you can kick improperly, that is backwards, so it is feasible.
    Last edited by fabiodriven; 05-25-2018 at 11:31 PM.
    85 Tri-Zinger 60
    85 ATC250SX
    86 ATC250SX
    87 ATC250SX
    02 XR650L conversion
    84 ATC 480R

--
    Quote Originally Posted by fabiodriven View Post
    .... Take a chapter from their book and make a seat that attaches to the plastics and have the whole kit and kabootle removable with one simple leever. (Say it, LEEVER) Then it doesn't matter if your kick start goes left, right, up, down, or gay (not that there's anything wrong with that). You'll have all the room in the world to kick. This is assuming, however, that you don't figure a way to do it with the plastics attached. Yes, Kawi had an indent on the Tech-8 fenders so you can kick improperly, that is backwards, so it is feasible.

I agree. Do a custom mount that quickly detaches to kick it.

The Kaw indent was ok unless you wear a 13.5 boot. No beuno for big foot guys

--
    Quote Originally Posted by ironchop View Post
    That's not a dirt tire!

Nope LOL!!!
    It sucks to get old

--
    I'm not sure if you've looked into the process that the good conversions are going by, so I'll go through it. There's a lot of ill handling dirt bike conversions being made because people aren't following the steps correctly. Get your front end set up finished and bolted on. Once that is done use jack stands, shims and straps to get your rake and ride height set where you want it to be. Once that is locked in then work on your rear end setup. This order will ensure you have a trike that handles like a trike.

Knowing you I'm sure you'll knock it out of the park. Those fenders look like they may not interfere with a rear kick, I hope that's how it works out.
    Looking for a Bassani silencer for a 2nd gen tecate, the style with the movable mount. 1st gen will work

fabiodriven is offline Aspiring romance novel cover model, and the Official 3WW slayer of thieves and swindlers. Catch me if you can
    --
    I agree with Swatland but based on the street tire I would like to add that street trikes and dirt trikes are two very different things and would require two very different stances and rakes. I happen to have a metric ton of street trike experience so I can help you in that department, but actual rake numbers I'll leave to Chop and Bob Marlin. I think that's who the other guy was, as they taught me what I thought I knew about rake was completely wrong.
    85 Tri-Zinger 60
    85 ATC250SX
    86 ATC250SX
    87 ATC250SX
    02 XR650L conversion
    84 ATC 480R

--
    Quote Originally Posted by 86T3 View Post
    I'm not sure if you've looked into the process that the good conversions are going by, so I'll go through it. There's a lot of ill handling dirt bike conversions being made because people aren't following the steps correctly. Get your front end set up finished and bolted on. Once that is done use jack stands, shims and straps to get your rake and ride height set where you want it to be. Once that is locked in then work on your rear end setup. This order will ensure you have a trike that handles like a trike.

Knowing you I'm sure you'll knock it out of the park. Those fenders look like they may not interfere with a rear kick, I hope that's how it works out.
    The handing is a major concern for me.

It would appear that the rake on the donor bike is almost identical to the rake on my Tri-Z which is slightly shortened up due to the extended swing arm. This was a motivating factor in the decision to advance on this project.

The new tire in the photo is 22” whereas the one on my Z is 24”. I don’t believe there are any limitations to the amount I can shorten the forks internally, other than the fact I don’t want to be left with 4” of suspension travel. I don’t have the number in my head at the moment, but I believe I can get the top of the steering head to within an inch of the Tri Z and still have 10” of travel and a relatively large front tire.

At the rear I plan to make an adjustable lower pivot point that should allow for right height (and rake) adjustment of at least 4”. Hopefully between starting out close to the geometry of the Tri Z and being able to adjust both ends it won’t be too difficult to get it to handle.

One thing I do not like about the four stroke conversions that I have seen is how tall they are. I am really hoping I am able to give this thing a low stance and a seat height that is no more than 2 inches higher than The Tri Z.
    It sucks to get old

--
    Quote Originally Posted by glamy View Post
    show us the inside of you colon
    I’d be happy to, but first you need to pull your head out of your own arse and get down to MTY.
    Last edited by El Camexican; 05-26-2018 at 10:27 AM. Reason: Starting to think Glamy got himself put on the no fly list
    It sucks to get old

--
    Does anyone have a Tri-Z front axle, rim or brake disc for sale?

Decided to go with the Z wheel for the 12” diameter and the fact that I have a spare hub here that looks like it can be adapted to work with the WP forks fairly easily.

Looks like a custom tree is in order as I don’t want to be restricted to the narrow setup that the street cruiser bikes have and I want to make sure the offset is enough to keep the fork tubes from hitting the rads.
    It sucks to get old

--
    Another thing I forgot to mention is the amount of suspension sag you have when you sit on the trike. Instead of shortening your forks, you could get progressive springs or softer springs so you are at 2 or 3"s of sag when you sit on it. The best way to visualize this is to think of a stadium truck. The sit relatively low when driving around but when theyre in the air you really see how much travel they have.

For the ease of parts and to open your tire options up I would go with the 250r front hub.
    Looking for a Bassani silencer for a 2nd gen tecate, the style with the movable mount. 1st gen will work

--
    Quote Originally Posted by 86T3 View Post
    Another thing I forgot to mention is the amount of suspension sag you have when you sit on the trike. Instead of shortening your forks, you could get progressive springs or softer springs so you are at 2 or 3"s of sag when you sit on it. The best way to visualize this is to think of a stadium truck. The sit relatively low when driving around but when theyre in the air you really see how much travel they have.

For the ease of parts and to open your tire options up I would go with the 250r front hub.
    Re: Sag

That’s should be an easy adjustment with the full sized WP forks, unlimited spring options and a nice spring preload design from the factory.

If possible I plan to stick with the Yamaha wheel if for no other reason because I already have a Yamaha that will except wheels back-and-forth.
    It sucks to get old

--
    John, when you get a chance could you take a photo of the foot peg mount on the quad and let me know the width of the mounts?

Thanks!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	A6C7FD61-9B56-4BCF-B0B1-67C3CE9A57C8.jpeg 
Views:	44 
Size:	2.05 MB 
ID:	252570
    It sucks to get old

--
    Why does Fabio have such easy access to a kwad? Did he buy a kwad? Do I need to make a shirt that proclaims his love for a kwad?

--
    This is what we've got Nico.

That's Chappy's kwad Joe. Only one way to solve this, with a kwad kount.

Kwadz owned by me- zero. Your turn.
    85 Tri-Zinger 60
    85 ATC250SX
    86 ATC250SX
    87 ATC250SX
    02 XR650L conversion
    84 ATC 480R

//ArrowChat Integreation Code //