//ArrowChat Code
Page 3 of 17 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 13 ... LastLast

Thread: KTM Three Wheeler Conversion - Done!!!

--
    Humm... Not what I was hoping for, but thank you just the same. The trike Bren-Downe posted up has ATV pegs on it and I was hoping they were an easy swap from the quad to the bike as KTM uses soooooo many of the same parts and designs between bikes, but I guess I need to decide if I trust welding extensions onto the bikes factory forged pegs, of if I need to start from scratch.

Looking closely at the photo of that KTM F conversion is creating more questions than its answering. Looks like the seat has a splice in it and that he used some sort of combination of ATV and bike plastic between the rear fenders and the seat. It also looks like he used a rear bike fender to make the front fender.

Yesterday I realized I was going to have to use a 10" front disc in order to use the WP forks and stock Brembo caliper, so my need for a stock disc has ended.

I'm thinking that the best way to do this will be to get a piece of steel laser cut to fit the Tri-Z wheel hub and also act as a brake hub that I can bolt a Galfer KTM disc onto. The distance that the adapter hub will add to the offset of the disc location in relation to the rim should give me at least 10mm of clearance between the caliper and the rim, but bolting the disc on with the caliper in place is probably still going to be a thing, unless I get lucky and the waves in the disc allow it.
    It sucks to get old

--
    Quote Originally Posted by El Camexican View Post
    ... but I guess I need to decide if I trust welding extensions onto the bikes factory forged pegs, of if I need to start from scratch...
    Preheat the forged part with a torch if you're worried about it. I've only preheated on larger forged pieces though. Something as small as the footpeg lug might not require it. IIRC, the issue was molecular density so the mild steel melts faster than the forged causing the puddle to make more penetration on one part than the other but if your good at mig and can concentrate heat more towards the forged part or you are tig and have even better melt control, it won't really be an issue

You could always send it to KY to get a mild steel lug repopped but I'll bet you can pull it off without that

Sent from my Z958 using Tapatalk

--
    Quote Originally Posted by ironchop View Post
    Preheat the forged part with a torch if you're worried about it. I've only preheated on larger forged pieces though. Something as small as the footpeg lug might not require it. IIRC, the issue was molecular density so the mild steel melts faster than the forged causing the puddle to make more penetration on one part than the other but if your good at mig and can concentrate heat more towards the forged part or you are tig and have even better melt control, it won't really be an issue

You could always send it to KY to get a mild steel lug repopped but I'll bet you can pull it off without that

I may have an old one to weld and test. Trying to error on the side of caution, can’t think of a worse part to break on a trike.
    It sucks to get old

--
    Quote Originally Posted by El Camexican View Post
    I may have an old one to weld and test. Trying to error on the side of caution, can’t think of a worse part to break on a trike.
    Hey worst thing that could happen is to slip a peg, break your ankle and have the tire eat all the hair and skin off the back of your calf. That's child's play

--
    2.5. But they're all super kool, so its ok.

Can you post a pic of the dirt bike peg Nico?
    Looking for a Bassani silencer for a 2nd gen tecate, the style with the movable mount. 1st gen will work

--
    Quote Originally Posted by 86T3 View Post
    2.5. But they're all super kool, so its ok.

Can you post a pic of the dirt bike peg Nico?
    Post 29, or did you want a closer shot? What does 2.5 mean?
    It sucks to get old

--
    Quote Originally Posted by ironchop View Post
    Hey worst thing that could happen is to slip a peg, break your ankle and have the tire eat all the hair and skin off the back of your calf. That's child's play

No interest in taking extra risks, at my age stuff takes forever to heal and like my buddy says "Now it takes me all night to do what I used to do all night"
    It sucks to get old

fabiodriven is offline Aspiring romance novel cover model, and the Official 3WW slayer of thieves and swindlers. Catch me if you can
    --
    2.5 is how many kwadz Joe has Nico.
    85 Tri-Zinger 60
    85 ATC250SX
    86 ATC250SX
    87 ATC250SX
    02 XR650L conversion
    84 ATC 480R

--
    Thanks, I skipped over it somehow. The pegs on my klx are bolted on so it was easy for Jason to make an adapter plate to bolt on the kwad pegs. You're definitely going to have to do some welding. Id recommend waiting till the bike is on 3 before mounting the pegs because it is likely that you won't want them in the position they were on the dirt bike. It's harder to do but sometimes needs to be done if you want the geometry to be correct. Because he moved the pegs on mine, Jason also had to make a new brake pedal and shifter.
    Looking for a Bassani silencer for a 2nd gen tecate, the style with the movable mount. 1st gen will work

--
    Thanks, I skipped over it somehow. The pegs on my klx are bolted on so it was easy for Jason to make an adapter plate to bolt on the kwad pegs. You're definitely going to have to do some welding. Id recommend waiting till the bike is on 3 before mounting the pegs because it is likely that you won't want them in the position they were on the dirt bike. It's harder to do but sometimes needs to be done if you want the geometry to be correct. Because he moved the pegs on mine, Jason also had to make a new brake pedal and shifter.
    I sure hope you’re wrong

Prior to committing to this I took a bunch of measurements from the steering head to varios “fixed” points on the frame including the foot pegs of my Tri Z and then took the same measurements on the donor bike.

I recal that the numbers were surprisingly similar with respect to how the riders hand to foot position would be between the two vehicals if nothing else changed. The biggest concern I have at the moment is what the seat height will end up like in relation to the foot pegs, but until I get my hands on the ATV seat it’s hard to even guess what might be required to make it low enough to avoid moving the pegs and then (ugg) modifying the brake and shifter. Even the kicker would be affected.

Moving on to happier thoughts the dxf file for the front disc adaptor is at the laser shop and the front axle drawings should be ready in the morning. Found a place in MO for the triples as well. The guy was totally into the job and the photos of his work look awesome.
    It sucks to get old

--
    If your measurements are correct then I bet you'll be fine. Different dirt bikes have different geometry, your frame may be closer to a trike geometry than mine was. It's just something some people don't put any thought into. Mine is actually based off of a (sigh) '86 250r

--
    If your measurements are correct then I bet you'll be fine. Different dirt bikes have different geometry, your frame may be closer to a trike geometry than mine was. It's just something some people don't put any thought into. Mine is actually based off of a (sigh) '86 250r
    Haha! The dreaded 250R geometry LOL! Seriously, I wish I had one here to copy.

KTM’s are known for being built to suit the needs of those strapping young men in lederhosen. Not sure if that’s a good thing or a bad thing for a conversion, but different they are.
    It sucks to get old

--
    Well, it would be faster if it was 87 Tecate geometry, but not everyone is into winning and being cool

--
    The plate that will allow me to run a 10 inch KTM desk on a Yamaha hub will be ready next week. I’m getting them made in three different thickness so situating the disc in the caliper won’t require as much messing with the axle spacers. They’re pretty cheap, so I ordered 3 of each thickness if someone happens to want to put a 10” KTM disc on their Tri Z let me know.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	41601FC8-1FB2-4994-B16B-EFFBD357EA51.jpg 
Views:	43 
Size:	2.78 MB 
ID:	252682
    It sucks to get old

--
    Fits like a glove

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	93C616AB-AFA7-4909-A6D4-C6BEF5244894.jpeg 
Views:	63 
Size:	2.67 MB