//ArrowChat Code
Page 9 of 17 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 10 11 ... LastLast

Thread: KTM Three Wheeler Conversion - Done!!!

--
    Quote Originally Posted by Louis Mielke View Post
    I know I'm late to this party but just FYI, they do not pivot any more. Derrick had made plates to make the pegs "bolt on" without welding new mounting plates to the frame. I welded the pegs themseleves onto the plates that clip to the original peg mounts. Basically Bryan wanted the pegs pulled back 2" and the only way to make it happen was by welding the pegs to the plates. They're still removable in case of a bent peg, just have to cut them apart and weld on a new one.
    Better late than never

You mention pulling the peg ‘back’ 2”, but they look to have been moved forward from the original location, or am I wrong?

Having looked at a few of Kasey’s conversions it seems that he retains the stock peg location. I’m not sure what I’m going to do with mine yet, it will all depend what happens the first time I sit on the mocked up trike.

At the moment it seems that the clearance from the peg to the forward most edge of the rear fender might be a little tight. However, if I am otherwise comfortable on the trike I guess I will just cut the plastic fender back and that may end up being a blessing in disguise as I am also lacking some room to use the kick starter on the other side.

This project is going to get very quiet for the next few weeks as I’m going to be traveling and I still don’t have the triple clamps which at this point are necessary for me to progress any further. I was trying to figure out the airbox, but that is going to require that the shock is permanently located and not just halfarsed mocked up and falling on my hand every time I start wiggling things around to measure them. I would be curious to know what the guys doing the WR conversions ended up with for air filter/boxes. I guess I could just run a pod filer if it came down to it, but would rather house someone in the ATV fenders.

Hope to see you around a little more frequently. All suggestions, insight, and comments are welcome.
    It sucks to get old

--
    On my 450 ,I'm using the stock YFZ 450 air box and air cleaner. Its a clean set up on the WR conversions -if you plan it right. It retains the air cleaner, battery and the fuse block. Just had to fab up a small section if intake tubing from the carb to the air horn of the factory air box. I know you don't need the battery box or the fuse block, so maybe just doing some bracket fabbing on the stock KTM air box or finding a box off a quad that you can work with. The quad boxes are a lot bigger than the bike boxes so you can run a nice big air cleaner but they take up a lot more space. You can move the air box more to the rear to make room for the shock by making a extension and / or diameter adapter for the intake between the carb and the air box.

Your build is looking so nice. It would be a shame to see a pod filter just hanging there.

I am also using a set of stock YFZ foot pegs ( They are big) adapted to fit in the stock motorcycle location and retained the hinged mount and the ability to just remove the cotter pin to change them out if I need too. The position feels just like the rest of my trikes.
    Last edited by BOB MARLIN; 10-14-2018 at 10:07 AM.
    YAMAHA 450 HYBRID
    85 350X- RED
    85 350x -BLACK
    86 350x-WHITE (with Goki)
    85 250r
    83 atc 70
    84 atc 70
    84 atc 110
    09 yfz 450
    2006 Arctic Cat Prowler
    RZR XP 900

--
    Thanks Bob, glad to hear you Yamaha guys have it so easy

I will have to get some pictures posted up to demonstrate exactly what’s involved with this KTM rear fender that incorporates the airbox, but for now I can tell you that from the rear it looks really nice, but from the front it is a hodgepodge of angles, bends and other shapes related to the stock ATV filter. The stock ATV filter plumbing enters the airbox under the fuel tank in the center of the frame which is something that’s not an option with the dirt bike frame which routes the filter housing around the left-hand side of the offset rear shock.

My understanding is that silicone tube does not work well long term with gasoline and oil, so I was planning to use a radiator hose with a 2.5 inch inside diameter. John Deere uses one with elbows that opens to 2.8” at the other end, perfect for what I need, but where I need to mount a spigot on the air box/fender is as bad a place as can be.

I may end up cutting the entire front face of the airbox/fender off and bolting in a flat metal sheet in order to have a spigot where I need it, but I don’t want to do any of this until I know exactly where the rear shock is going as it may also interfere with the forward most section of the airbox and if that is the case even further modify modifications would be needed.
    It sucks to get old

--
    Quote Originally Posted by BOB MARLIN View Post
    Your build is looking so nice. It would be a shame to see a pod filter just hanging there.
    Amen! A pod filter would definitely be easier, but from what I've seen so far, your fab skills are better than that, and don't require the easy way out. I say, take the time to do it right. When you're done, it should look like it belongs on a KTM showroom floor.
    Red Rider's Sand Machine Updated 07/23/14

3Z with Fangs! is offline At The Back Of The Pack Arm chair racerFirst time rider
    --
    Quote Originally Posted by El Camexican View Post
    Thanks Bob, glad to hear you Yamaha guys have it so easy

I will have to get some pictures posted up to demonstrate exactly what’s involved with this KTM rear fender that incorporates the airbox, but for now I can tell you that from the rear it looks really nice, but from the front it is a hodgepodge of angles, bends and other shapes related to the stock ATV filter. The stock ATV filter plumbing enters the airbox under the fuel tank in the center of the frame which is something that’s not an option with the dirt bike frame which routes the filter housing around the left-hand side of the offset rear shock.

My understanding is that silicone tube does not work well long term with gasoline and oil, so I was planning to use a radiator hose with a 2.5 inch inside diameter. John Deere uses one with elbows that opens to 2.8” at the other end, perfect for what I need, but where I need to mount a spigot on the air box/fender is as bad a place as can be.

I may end up cutting the entire front face of the airbox/fender off and bolting in a flat metal sheet in order to have a spigot where I need it, but I don’t want to do any of this until I know exactly where the rear shock is going as it may also interfere with the forward most section of the airbox and if that is the case even further modify modifications would be needed.
    Honestly Brother, I've used silicone hose on my Warrior for a handful of years now. I had to do a custom intake of all sorts to put the 39mm FCR on it. I personally would trust silicone more than a rubber radiator hose. At work I've seen far too many times what oil will do to radiator hose but this is my opinion my friend. How much do you need to make and could you have a piece of pipe bent and just use silicone couplers? Just an idea, I'm not 100% certain what you need to do.

3Z with Fangs! is offline At The Back Of The Pack Arm chair racerFirst time rider
    --
    Also, is a complete airbox an absolute must have? With my Rap 700 the FCI intake was pretty awesome (one of the best actually) and you could get it with this skid plate looking thing really. All it really did was protect the filter from being hit with mud/Water from underneath. It worked great on my 700. Maybe this is also an option??

--
    3Z, I’m not sure what will happen to a rubber rad hose after long term exposure to oil and gas, but if some of the rad hoses I’ve seen on 30 year old Tri-Z’s run without exhaust gaskets that spewed oil all over them is any indication it should hold up for a good while.

Everything I’ve read about silicon hose and fuel is a no no, so I’d like to avoid it if possible as there is a fair amount of blowback in my stock KTM intakes, so I’m expecting the same with this engine, although it will probably be at an angle that won’t allow it to collect like the stock plumbing does.

As per Red Rider’s pep talk, I want people to think that all the parts came off a stock bike/trike when they look at it and not have them immediately realize I put it together in my garage as easily as possible.
    Last edited by El Camexican; 10-14-2018 at 07:44 PM.
    It sucks to get old

--
    I certainly can't dispute how good the stock hoses on the Z are but I'm not sure they're me of exactly the same did as typical parts shop radiator hose. Oil alone will swell and soften today's off the shelf hoses.

--
    Quote Originally Posted by 3Z with Fangs! View Post
    I certainly can't dispute how good the stock hoses on the Z are but I'm not sure they're me of exactly the same did as typical parts shop radiator hose. Oil alone will swell and soften today's off the shelf hoses.
    Guess I should do some testing while I wait on parts.
    It sucks to get old

--
    Quote Originally Posted by El Camexican View Post
    As per Red Rider’s pep talk, I want people to think that all the parts came off a stock bike/trike when they look at it and not have them immediately realize I put it together in my garage as easily as possible.
    Whoopsie! Sorry everyone. I think I just added a few more weeks onto El's conversion project.
    Red Rider's Sand Machine Updated 07/23/14

--
    Took a little longer than expected, but the triple clamps arrived this week.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	3FCA2EFB-BFFA-4B73-89E6-AEC5CAE9D59D.jpg 
Views:	59 
Size:	1.46 MB 
ID:	255677

Name:	CE6D4D1E-CE1B-48B6-B3BC-A55FF47747A5.jpeg 
Views:	56 
Size:	2.46 MB 
ID:	255678

They fit the forks perfectly, but I wasn’t thrilled with the milling marks, so I decided to polish them. Started with the upper clamp this evening.

Name:	35CB5C59-1A81-404D-B340-936C5D1A8066.jpeg 
Views:	53 
Size:	161.1 KB 
ID:	255679

Name:	4A8ED63F-89E8-4689-818B-5E96FD06CE01.jpeg 
Views:	44 
Size:	77.7 KB 
ID:	255680
    It sucks to get old

--
    Those triples are gorgeous, great job. As for the air box, look into a YFZ450 intake boot (carb to air box) or an aftermarket version like the FCI.
    Looking for a Bassani silencer for a 2nd gen tecate, the style with the movable mount. 1st gen will work

--
    Quote Originally Posted by 86T3 View Post
    Those triples are gorgeous, great job. As for the air box, look into a YFZ450 intake boot (carb to air box) or an aftermarket version like the FCI.
    Thanks Joe. I’ve looked at the FCI stuff, but never saw anything that looked like it would work.

As far as the YZF set up, I have to assume that the shocks on the Yamahas are further to the rear than the KTM PDS shocks are. I have a design in mind to use the stockbox, so hopefully it works.

Got the lower clamp done today.

Name:	06589E60-A853-4B6B-B89A-79F440AC2D02.jpeg 
Views:	43 
Size:	175.3 KB 
ID:	255693

Name:	E0D3E1CD-FF5E-4042-A5D2-07C441A6EE42.jpeg 
Views:	44 
Size:	227.8 KB 
ID:	255694
    It sucks to get old

--
    I'm a little surprised how rough the mill marks are on the triple clamps as it not hard to get a good finish in aluminum. Although some people like the rough "billet" look. I think they look MUCH better now that you have them polished up. I like the way they did the bar clamp mounts, allowing for adjustment.
    YAMAHA 450 HYBRID
    85 350X- RED
    85 350x -BLACK
    86 350x-WHITE (with Goki)
    85 250r
    83 atc 70
    84 atc 70
    84 atc 110
    09 yfz 450
    2006 Arctic Cat Prowler
    RZR XP 900

--
    Quote Originally Posted by BOB MARLIN View Post
    I'm a little surprised how rough the mill marks are on the triple clamps as it not hard to get a good finish in aluminum. Although some people like the rough "billet" look. I think they look MUCH better now that you have them polished up. I like the way they did the bar clamp mounts, allowing for adjustment.
    It was even worse than the milling tracks which I usually like if it they’re symmetrical and proportionate to the part.

Here’s some of what had to be cleaned up.

Name:	7554646E-DFA8-4E4C-AE69-317AED6326F5.jpeg 
Views:	37 
Size:	1.69 MB 
ID:	255698

Name:	13B7FC4C-51B1-4F72-9DEE-7FE2F96E3C63.jpeg 
Views:	47 
Size:	2.66 MB 
ID:	255699

Name:	1EB216BF-B540-4756-8381-7B5E3AEECFF1.jpeg 
Views:	41 
Size:	2.02 MB 
ID:	255700

Name:	6F1F735C-BD34-4E83-8379-AAFFF36678D8.jpeg 
Views:	31 
Size:	1.97 MB 
ID:	255701

We spoke, Gary politely gave his side of the story and I’m in a happy place. If I wanted to complain it would be about the shops I called yhat weren’t interested in making trike clamps at any price.

The mount holes are much like the stock KTM clamps as are the steering stop locations. I picked up a used Scott’s damper mount that will bolt right up as well.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails E7CC1268-64A8-4139-A4ED-B36D739D8B08.jpeg   91139FC8-1381-46C1-A4B4-5D463A70691D.jpeg  
    It sucks to get old

//ArrowChat Integreation Code //