//ArrowChat Code
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Becoming an addict... '85 Tri-Z

--

Becoming an addict... '85 Tri-Z

First the ATC 70 to relive my youth, then an '85 250r, and now an '85 Tri-Z... Always thought the Yamaha was a damn fine looking machine though, that split top tube design is just beautiful.

This one might sit for a little while since I have the cases split on the 250r. Maybe go through the carb and at least see if she'll fire.

Purchased from the 2nd owner, who really did a great job taking care of things prior to parking it a dozen or so years ago. Even has the license plate with tags that expired in 1988. No title but I think we'll be okay, even if I do have to lein it. Pretty clean though and it doesn't appear to have been monkeyed with very much.

Here's a teaser shot. The front fender is cracked so it's kind of goofy looking but he gave me a good one to go with it.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20180519_202748.jpg 
Views:	53 
Size:	2.62 MB 
ID:	252456

--
    Pulled the carb, pulled the float bowl, spotless... Even the pilot jet was clean. Shot some carb cleaner around, blew it out, wiped out the tank, added some fuel, and started kicking.

Name:	itsalive.jpg 
Views:	6 
Size:	72.0 KB 
ID:	252498

Doesn't run well but it runs! Now to swap out fuel / vent lines and check on the cooling system. Clutch doesn't work either... He said it was brand new but it's probably all stuck together. Oh well, the damn thing runs!

--
    I always thought the yellow tri z'triz's looked good. Nice find

--
    Some of these plastics have seen much better days! I tried to start out with scotch brite but quickly realized I'd need to scrape the oxidation off with a razor first. Here's a shot of the first quick pass on one side...

Name:	IMG_20180521_205156~2.jpg 
Views:	23 
Size:	1.81 MB 
ID:	252514

--
    that definitely works followed by wet sanding and then polish with ultra fine cut.the tri Z has been the hardest for me to wet sand and polish in my opinion but you won't hurt it it will definitely look better

--
    when you use a buffer with ultra fine cut like 3M or Meguiars don't concentrate on one spot too long with a buffer just keep moving around

--
    Not going for perfection on this one. The oxidation is literally 1/16" thick so this stuff is too far gone to look amazing again. Scraped it down and melted it, going to follow with a quick polish to help even it out. Here's after using the torch...

Name:	IMG_20180522_073508.jpg 
Views:	31 
Size:	1.97 MB 
ID:	252515

Here's another before and after on the rad shrouds...

Name:	IMG_20180526_153855.jpg 
Views:	10 
Size:	2.03 MB 
ID:	252594
    Last edited by HyKlas; 05-27-2018 at 07:29 PM.

--
    Clean rider quality, I like it!

Outlaw #24 is offline At The Back Of The Pack Arm chair racerAt the back of the pack
    --
    A torch huh? I have the Oem Plastic of our Tecate and it is so badly oxidized that we have scrapped with razor blades and still where the sticker were is raised up a 1/16 inch. Heat will probably smoothen it out some making it easier to get a good polish to it! This unit will be assembled within the next few weeks.
    Last edited by Outlaw #24; 05-22-2018 at 11:07 AM.

--
    I've seen heat guns bring a little bit of the color back

--
    I used a small-ish butane torch to melt the top layer and smooth out a lot of the roughness and scratches. After that it needs a buff and polish due to the uneven appearance. Takes a light touch but works very well.

--
    Instead of getting all new wheels and tires that will only fit this machine, I've decided to swap hubs instead. That way I can use all of my 4x110 Honda stuff. Is it true the TRX450R units fit on these? New ones are stupid cheap, like $45 each.

--
    I'm full of questions with no answers... Does this silencer come apart to repack? I have the back cover off but can't see how to pull anything else...

--
    Added another photo to the plastics above.

Here's a shot with it mostly back together. Engine is detailed as much as I'm willing and got the pipe repainted. Used VHT gloss black on the pipe and a satin black on the heat shield. Think it came out pretty nice. Still need to detail the front end and back half but tomorrow is a new day! New front tire incoming as well. Went with the CST Ambush 23x8-12.

Name:	IMG_20180527_183310.jpg 
Views:	28 
Size:	2.25 MB 
ID:	252597

--
    Nice job!

Never tried a flame torch, but I have played with the heat gun. Seems you really need to know when its time to pull the heat away, or the color can darken a fair bit. I had some Yamaha yellow turn orange and some KTM orange turn redish while dicking around with the heat gun.

I don't know what your secret is, but I find that as soon as you see a gloss forming on the surface its time to move about 2 seconds ago and that if you work too small of an area you get blotches.
    It sucks to get old

//ArrowChat Integreation Code //