//ArrowChat Code
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Becoming an addict... '85 Tri-Z

--
    The blotches mostly come out with a good cutting compound then polish. I found it was a lot easier to control the torch than it was the heat gun. The gun just seemed to heat too large of an area far too fast and caused dimples.

If I wanted a like new finish, I wouldn't have used heat at all. For that it's best to start with 80 grit sandpaper and work your way up to 2000 wet then finish with a polish. Same as you'd do with a painted surface really...

--
    Quote Originally Posted by HyKlas View Post
    Added another photo to the plastics above.

Here's a shot with it mostly back together. Engine is detailed as much as I'm willing and got the pipe repainted. Used VHT gloss black on the pipe and a satin black on the heat shield. Think it came out pretty nice. Still need to detail the front end and back half but tomorrow is a new day! New front tire incoming as well. Went with the CST Ambush 23x8-12.

Attachment 252597
    Looking good

Except for those fork boots. Those boots are bringing down the property values in the whole neighborhood.

Probably looked ok before you went all shiny everywhere else.

Fenders look great though

Sent from my Z958 using Tapatalk

--
    Those are the rare factory orange fork boots man! Okay, I lied... Will have to agree 100% and that is on the list of to-dos. The forks are totally shot so I'm bouncing stuff around trying to figure on the best course of action.

New front tire is mounted and installed though. Glad to be rid of that cracked up 25" monster...

--
    Ok if your going to do the forks, which sounds like it's time. Most shops are $65 a leg plus fluid and seals. I would go the extra $100 mile and order Progressive Fork Springs. Stock is fine so don't feel obligated it's just the mod is worth it IMO. Oil weight is based on feel and style of riding you do. Get some guide from your suspension shop as to weight, I do a blend. There's a guy that sells New Rubber style fork boots on eBay. They don't match OEM but look, fit, and perform just fine, funny but I think he was out of Ohio. You have read over this post haven't you? http://www.3wheelerworld.com/showthr...with-TRI-Z-250
    If not it's got good useful info

--
    I have scanned through that one a few times, definitely a good read. A bit could be added to that thread since doing a bit of my own research as well.

My local place quoted me about $180 if I bring them the parts, oil, and forks off the bike. At that rate, I'll probably just figure out what seal driver I need and do it myself. Figure if I can do half the crap I do at work every day, I can rebuild a set of forks.

--
    No doubt if you got the right tools, it's not bad. Please add to the post any of your finds it's way better to refresh a Topic than creating a New post that may get lost. Keep in mind the rear shock...still very do able to cob one together, or go with something that fits and performs less. Axis, PEP and others can give you the best of today's tech for around $800. IMO once you've rode a Z with one, talking about dollars is pointless.

--
    Quote Originally Posted by Tri-Z 250 View Post
    .... Please add to the post any of your finds it's way better to refresh a Topic than creating a New post that may get lost....
    AMEN TO THIS STATEMENT

For the life of me, I can't figure out why someone hasn't archived these interchange type threads into their own subforum location after all these years. It's a real PIA to find them if you don't remember the exact title, case sensitive spellings, etc when using the search feature here and these threads are friggin priceless. Searching for the OP is useless too most times. I tried to find Matt's manual depository thread the other day and I can't find it either. It's only a couple months old so this is VERY aggravating

That Tri-Z interchange, the Tecate interchange, numerous Honda interchange and component swap threads are invaluable to this place and separate this forum from all other online forums that give any mention to trikes at all

--
    Quote Originally Posted by ironchop View Post
    AMEN TO THIS STATEMENT

For the life of me, I can't figure out why someone hasn't archived these interchange type threads into their own subforum location after all these years. It's a real PIA to find them if you don't remember the exact title, case sensitive spellings, etc when using the search feature here and these threads are friggin priceless. Searching for the OP is useless too most times. I tried to find Matt's manual depository thread the other day and I can't find it either. It's only a couple months old so this is VERY aggravating

That Tri-Z interchange, the Tecate interchange, numerous Honda interchange and component swap threads are invaluable to this place and separate this forum from all other online forums that give any mention to trikes at all

Agreed. At a minimum I think there should be separate sections dedicated to the more popular machines. So, if you have a question about the 250R, it goes in its own section. That way it is easier to find, and if you're just looking to read threads about your machine there's one place to go. Being biased towards the 250 two strokes I think each should have its own section, along with the 200X, 350X, etc. Some of the more popular utility trikes could also have their sections. I know currently there is the group section, but they seem to get very little traffic.

--
    Find it better to spend the money on a quality tool and DIY vs handing the money off to someone else. Then you have the tool and a little experience for next time.

As per the threads... I always prefer to bump old ones with new info, especially if that's the #1 thread on a Google search of the subject. And yes, forum searches are generally garbage. I prefer to use something like the one below in Google.

Yamaha tri-z part interchange site:3wheelerworld.com

Using the "site:" identifier in the Google search bar is invaluable. Even works well for finding craigslist ads or completed eBay auctions beyond the 90 day limit. Just substitute 3wheelerworld.com with craigslist.org, ebay.com, or whatever site you're trying to search.

--
    Got a set of TRX450r hubs and they fit reasonably well. Had to tap them on but no big deal. With those and the set of 9" wide, 3" backspacing wheels, this thing is 51" wide out back! That's a little much I think...

//ArrowChat Integreation Code //