//ArrowChat Code
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Not Another Suspended 185S Build

--

Not Another Suspended 185S Build

Actually, yes it is.....

Picked this bike up a few years ago, kind of by accident and not knowing what it was at the time. It was advertised as an 84 200S, I bought it pretty much in the dark and at the it had grossly oversized mud tires that were chewing at the rear fenders, I verified that it ran and loaded up.

This was my first trike purchase after growing up riding an 84 ATC70, so I didnt look too much into it. By the light of day, the setup wasn't adding up and didn't look like a stock 200S, ran the neck number and it came back as an 81 185S. Still this bike didn't look like one of those either. So down the rabbit hole of aftermarket suspended bike research I went. I started collecting parts to return it to it's past glory (maybe, I have no idea of it's true history). One part of the ad was right though, it does have a 200S motor installed.

I picked up an 85 200X and an 85 350X, to have riders while I worked on restoring the 185S. Then I moved, and a few other hobbies took over. All the trikes sat neglected, and i finally sold the pair of 85's this past weekend, but wasn't quite ready to let go of this one just yet. So I have decided to put some effort into it. My mind has been teetering with idea of selling this past week, but cuurrent plan to is to get it running and functional, then decide whether to finish making it shiny and nice or pass on to next owner.

When I purchased it, it had a later model front hub mounted utilizing a couple dozen flat washers as spacers which was no bueno. I located a stock front axle and brake setup, and what was a NOS aluminum Mitchell wheel with correct bolt pattern and centered spacing (I believe it was intended for a Honda Odyssey) and wrapped it in a new Carlisle Knobby. After collecting dust for a few years, installing these parts was my starting point, and got it back on all 3.

So the jourmey starts to get this trike running and moving again.

Still haven't been able to positively identify what manufacturer(s) parts I have. If you have any input or information I'm all ears. From comparing pictures I believe it to be a HP-ATC weld-on swingarm kit and Darryl Smith triple trees with fork tubes from a dirt bike or small street bike.

Does it still count as a barn find if you're the one who left it there 3 years ago?

After it became a roller again and got rinsed off

"Interesting" paint work on the tank it came with. Maybe somebody recognizes it from a past life
    Last edited by Josh in FLA; 05-31-2018 at 08:34 AM.
    1984 ATC70- Original owner
    1981 Suspended ATC185s- The Project

--
    Nice score . It's got some good stuff !!!!!!!!!!!!!
    * 1970 US90 Red
    * 1978 ATC 90/180 Helm&Son, Bandito /3D springer. ( Spaghetti Winder )
    * 1978 ATC 90/128 Bandito / Ace Williams Springer.
    * 1980 ATC 110/ ? Helm&Son, Dickson Full Suspended
    * 1981 ATC 110 MTC Full Supended
    * 1985 ATC 200s
    *1986 ATC 250R/310 2"+ Westcoast Swinger

http://www.ebay.com/usr/jwheeler760

--
    That thing is sweet. Would love to see it restored.

Sent from my Z958 using Tapatalk

--
    I love the paint on that tank! I'd try to save it if at all possible. It may not be the prettiest, but it's definitely one of a kind!

--
    That's a great score!! I love the older 90's and 185's, there are some cool setups out there,

I found this one months ago: https://www.ebay.com/itm/18316587676...m=183165876765

I couldn't understand why no one bought it?? Was relisted numerous times. If I had the room, it would be mine...
    All our government does is distract us while they steal from us, misspend our tax $ and ruin our country

--
    Quote Originally Posted by 350for350 View Post
    I love the paint on that tank! I'd try to save it if at all possible. It may not be the prettiest, but it's definitely one of a kind!
    It's definitely different, but probably going to go by wayside for Honda red and restoration decals unless I can find another tank in useable shape and budget friendly. Looking it over again today, I found a name on one of the panels and after some social media sleuthing it seems to match a bike painter from Ohio. So I've reached out to him in hopes of a response and maybe some history on the trike.

--
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirtcrasher View Post
    That's a great score!! I love the older 90's and 185's, there are some cool setups out there,

I found this one months ago: https://www.ebay.com/itm/18316587676...m=183165876765

I couldn't understand why no one bought it?? Was relisted numerous times. If I had the room, it would be mine...
    That is a pretty nice setup, looks of good looking parts and a great basis for a build. I have no idea what pricing for these suspended bikes is, but price it was listed at seemed reasonable for a package deal like that.

--
    Got some more work done in past couple of days. Cleaned spray paint off of fork tubes and lowers. Swapped on some different handlebars I had around. Gave it a good thorough wash down. Picked up a new spark plug cap to replace the missing one and verified I still have spark. Going to pull the carb and see if I can at least get it started with a quick cleanup and proceed from there.

Once I got it cleaned up and looking better I couldn't resist throwing the plastics and tanks on to see how it mocks up.

What's the opinion on fender placement: high mount to bottom of lower triple tree or low mount to the fork lowers? I'm missing the brackets needed to mount to the lowers, but from ones I've seen they wouldn't be too hard to recreate.

High-mount mockup:

Low-mount mockup:

The current rear shock is shot, but have two current options: 1) 81 ATC250R rear shock, like this one as an OEM part and definitely period correct but just noticed some rust on the shaft so may not be best choice. 2)a Works shock, decent shape and no rust on shaft, about 1" taller than the 250R.

The gold R wheels are not staying, they originally came on my 350X and got tired of seeing them spray painted black so stripped them down. Hoping to mount my new rear tires tomorrow, then swap out to the 3 lug hubs and see how it sits.

Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 20180526_173807.jpeg   20180526_173753.jpeg   20180526_173638.jpeg   20180526_173625.jpeg   20180526_173827.jpeg  
    Last edited by Josh in FLA; 05-31-2018 at 08:37 AM.

--
    Looking good. I would go with high mounted fender
    If its on the internet its got to be true they can't put any lie's on the internet

fabiodriven is offline Aspiring romance novel cover model, and the Official 3WW slayer of thieves and swindlers. Catch me if you can
    --
    High mount fender and Works shock!
    85 Tri-Zinger 60
    85 ATC250SX
    86 ATC250SX
    87 ATC250SX
    02 XR650L conversion
    84 ATC 480R

--
    Wow! Looks even better cleaned up.

Low mount fender looks ghey. High mount looks all business.

Rusty shafts even cleaned up will tear up your shock seals fast and leak out the oil. You could have the shaft rechromed and rebuild the shock while it's apart. Personally, I would throw on the Works shock and see what your stance looks like. It might be too high-assed or maybe not.

Again, nice score and glad to see another one of these rare survivor pieces saved from barn duty or the scrap pile.

Also, I'll bet that motor has been worked over some too. Hard to see someone going all cosmetic and suspension upgrades with just a stock mill.

If not, there are some really sweet cam and hi-comp piston upgrades you can buy which will make a world of difference. Look into the 83-85 200X cams from Megacycles or Web Camshaft.

--
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirtcrasher View Post

Looks like it may have sold

Said it was relisted and now says "Item no longer Available"

--
    Well as of today she's a runner.

Gave the carb a quick onceover, luckily had non-ethanol gas in it when put up. Just a little sediment, but cleaned up easy. Set adjustments to factory specs and she fired right up. Smokes a tiny bit, so a topend might be in future. Idles pretty good, but want to verify valve adjustment and dial in from there.

My brother and I mounted the new Scorpions for the rear yesterday. Swapped in the 3 lug hubs and mounted them today as well.

Found these footrests in my parts when digging. Will wait till teardown and cleanup to install.

Will be picking up bolts and rubber washers to mount the front fender. Seals are ordered for the front forks. Rear shocks has been removed and making way for the incoming Works shock.

Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 20180528_200055.jpeg   20180528_200815.jpeg  
    Last edited by Josh in FLA; 05-31-2018 at 08:39 AM.

--
    Looking good !
    78 atc 90/180cc Dickson Full Suspension
    76 ATC90/180cc Nicholson
    77 atc 90 Dickson Full Suspension
    84 KLT 110/123cc Powroll Racer from 80s
    87 atc 125m stock
    84 atc 200x Curtis Sparks
    84 atc 200x Powroll My race bike from 80's
    83 atc70/108cc Powroll blue Xmas Special
    81 atc185s HP-ATC full suspension

Performance Shop is Open PM me for Service

My Feedback http://www.3wheelerworld.com/showthr...ck+shortline10

--
    Quote Originally Posted by shortline10 View Post
    Looking good !
    Thank you kind sir. Your suspended 185s build thread is my inspiration for a clean period-correct trike, I think I've read it a few times through now.

A little bit more progress, front fender mounted. Not perfect but will do for now.

Works shock installed, and reservoir temporarily mounted. Any buddy happen to know what the nitrogen charge pressure should be on these? Went with a conservative pressure a bit under the 250r spec, but still seems a bit soft. May just be the way it is, not sure of the spring rate.

Still waiting on front fork seals to show up, but was able to come up with an oil spec and fill amount for them today. Air filter and sock ordered, as well as a front number plate from John (jeswinehart).

Sorry for goofy sideways pics, not sure why that is happening
    Last edited by Josh in FLA; 05-31-2018 at 08:40 AM.

//ArrowChat Integreation Code //