//ArrowChat Code

Thread: Just bought my first ATC

--

Just bought my first ATC

Hi everyone, new here, I always come across this site when I search for specs on various ATC's. Looks like there is a ton of information here.

I finally just came across my first ATC, picked up a 1983 YTM200. It's in rough shape, it runs, smokes a lot, plastics are rough, leaks oil, overall it should be a fun project! Not sure how far I want to go with it, but I mainly want a fun little camp bike for Glamis to cruise the little dunes.

One thing about it that I think is pretty unique, it has rear suspension. I searched a little and found out there was a kit made back in the day to add rear suspension, but I don't know much else about it. Previous owner knew nothing about the bike, so I have a lot to learn. First things I need to do are figure out the smoking issue and it doesn't have a rear brake assembly at all, no disc, caliper, cable, lever, nothing. Any ideas on how to get a complete assembly or do I need to piece it together?

--
    Quote Originally Posted by jbennett View Post
    Hi everyone, new here, I always come across this site when I search for specs on various ATC's. Looks like there is a ton of information here.

I finally just came across my first ATC, picked up a 1983 YTM200. It's in rough shape, it runs, smokes a lot, plastics are rough, leaks oil, overall it should be a fun project! Not sure how far I want to go with it, but I mainly want a fun little camp bike for Glamis to cruise the little dunes.

One thing about it that I think is pretty unique, it has rear suspension. I searched a little and found out there was a kit made back in the day to add rear suspension, but I don't know much else about it. Previous owner knew nothing about the bike, so I have a lot to learn. First things I need to do are figure out the smoking issue and it doesn't have a rear brake assembly at all, no disc, caliper, cable, lever, nothing. Any ideas on how to get a complete assembly or do I need to piece it together?
    Photos? We love photos.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

fabiodriven is offline Aspiring romance novel cover model, and the Official 3WW slayer of thieves and swindlers. Catch me if you can
    --
    Those 200's were great bikes. The brake you'll either have to piece together or you'll have to find your own solution with a disk and some fabrication. Pro-tec produced a good portion of the rear suspension kits found on Yamahas but it could be a different brand or it could even be homemade.
    85 Tri-Zinger 60
    85 ATC250SX
    86 ATC250SX
    87 ATC250SX
    02 XR650L conversion
    84 ATC 480R

--
    Quote Originally Posted by ivan-083 View Post
    Photos? We love photos.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Yeah, what Ivan said

Pics would help determine what you got going on. If it was a kit, I'm sure it has provisions for a rear break to be mounted

Sent from my Z958 using Tapatalk

--
    I'm assuming a stock brake setup would work, but I really have no idea. Here are a couple of pictures of how she looked when I brought her home last night. I want to get her cleaned up a bit and I'll get better pictures and post those later.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20180525_204137.jpg 
Views:	55 
Size:	1.16 MB 
ID:	252565

Name:	IMG_20180525_204223.jpg 
Views:	59 
Size:	1.34 MB 
ID:	252566

--
    It's definitely a rare bird. I'd recommend keeping it.

fabiodriven is offline Aspiring romance novel cover model, and the Official 3WW slayer of thieves and swindlers. Catch me if you can
    --
    That looks like a works shock, looks like a Pro-tec kit too, but don't quote me on either.
    85 Tri-Zinger 60
    85 ATC250SX
    86 ATC250SX
    87 ATC250SX
    02 XR650L conversion
    84 ATC 480R

--
    I tore into this thing a bit today, it needs a lot of work!! Main issues that need attention first, the engine smokes a ton, compression is at 100psi min spec that I found was 114psi. What's my best option to fix it?

I adjusted the valves, they were way out of spec, way loose. Quieted the engine down a bit.

The recoil works, but doesn't always spring back and suck the handle in, can I adjust this or do I need to replace it? Are they easy to come by?

I need a rear brake assembly, I'll have to keep an eye out for those parts.

I was messing with the swingarm and shock, it does look like a Works shock, they are the only ones I've ever seen with blue and white springs.
    Cleaned it up a bit and I noticed the chain was a bit off to one side, both sprockets are parallel, but they aren't in line with each other. It doesn't look like there is any adjustment for that, but I'm not sure. I tried to get a picture showing it, not sure how well you can see it.

Also, the chain is really loose on the sprocket, not loose, like it needs tightening, more like it's the wrong size or just stretched really bad. It moves around on the sprocket even when the tensioner is tight.

Name:	20180526_162153.jpg 
Views:	34 
Size:	1.04 MB 
ID:	252576

Name:	Yamaha Chain.jpg 
Views:	34 
Size:	314.0 KB 
ID:	252577

--
    Trikefest surviver 2013 and 2014

--
    I tore into this thing a bit today, it needs a lot of work!! Main issues that need attention first, the engine smokes a ton, compression is at 100psi, min spec that I found was 114psi. What's my best option to fix it?

I adjusted the valves, they were way out of spec, way loose. Quieted the engine down a bit.

The recoil works, but doesn't always spring back and suck the handle in, can I adjust this or do I need to replace it? Are they easy to come by?

I need a rear brake assembly, I'll have to keep an eye out for those parts.

I was messing with the swingarm and shock, it does look like a Works shock, they are the only ones I've ever seen with blue and white springs.
    Cleaned it up a bit and I noticed the chain was a bit off to one side, both sprockets are parallel, but they aren't in line with each other. It doesn't look like there is any adjustment for that, but I'm not sure. I tried to get a picture showing it, not sure how well you can see it.

Also, the chain is really loose on the sprocket, not loose like it needs tightening, more like it's the wrong size or just stretched really bad. It moves around on the sprocket even when the tensioner is tight.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Yamaha Chain.jpg 
Views:	36 
Size:	314.0 KB 
ID:	252589   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20180526_162153.jpg 
Views:	36 
Size:	1.04 MB 
ID:	252590  

--
    Weird, it didn't show my post from last night, so I posted it again this morning, that didn't show at first, but now both of them show up?

Is that normal?

Oh well, I tore apart the recoil today and cleaned it and lubed it, works perfect now! Glad I didn't have to buy any parts to fix that!

--
    Just curious, is there an area for build threads or for technical advice specific to certain bikes or parts of bikes? i.e. suspension section, engine section, body section, etc?

I started tearing it down a little more today and before I knew it, nearly everything was apart! These things come apart easy, I just hope I remember how she goes back together whenever I get around to assembly.

Name:	IMG_20180528_110651.jpg 
Views:	25 
Size:	1.50 MB 
ID:	252617

Does anyone know what suspension kit this is? Or what bearings it takes? I figure while it's torn down, might as well replace the bearings if I can find them.

Name:	IMG_20180528_110854.jpg 
Views:	26 
Size:	1.34 MB 
ID:	252618

Name:	IMG_20180528_110918.jpg 
Views:	26 
Size:	1.42 MB 
ID:	252619

I want to also do the carrier/axle bearings. I found some on ebay for $10 with seals, no brand name though. Any recommendations for good replacements?

I guess I'm going pretty deep into this thing, but I really don't want to spend a ton of money, I just figure as long as it's torn down, might as well do it right! Figured I'd throw a quick coat of paint on the frame while I had a chance.

Name:	IMG_20180528_135749.jpg 
Views:	29 
Size:	1.58 MB 
ID:	252620

--
    Honestly. From what you described in the first post I thought it was going to be a mess. Duct tape holding things together...
    It is not a eye soar.

About the engine: Compression is low and blows smoke. OK. If it were me. Change the oil. Run it around. Rings could be sticky from sitting around. Both compression and oil control.

Also heard that putting a bit of diesel fuel in the cylinder may loosen up the rings. Maybe even seafoam(?) I don't want to give bad advice on which route to take. Something to think about.
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

'83 200X

Chicks love guys that ride trikes

//ArrowChat Integreation Code //