//ArrowChat Code

Thread: Proper Timing Adjustment - 1985 200S

--

Proper Timing Adjustment - 1985 200S

My original 1985 200S my dad got me - got it running last summer and replaced a ton of stuff. I keep getting confusing information on how to properly time it? Can someone guide me? The plug is always black as well, which would signal too rich I would assume (I bought a cheap carb from ebay and guessing the float sticks open?) but I was never quite sure the timing was correct either.

FYI - I searched this forum for timing for a good hour and didn't find what I needed so my apologies if I overlooked something.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_5047.jpg 
Views:	20 
Size:	755.5 KB 
ID:	252668Thanks in advance.

--
    Here is the online manual.

www.oscarmayer.net/atc/manuals
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

'83 200X

Chicks love guys that ride trikes

--
    Quote Originally Posted by rideus74 View Post
    My original 1985 200S my dad got me - got it running last summer and replaced a ton of stuff. I keep getting confusing information on how to properly time it? Can someone guide me? The plug is always black as well, which would signal too rich I would assume (I bought a cheap carb from ebay and guessing the float sticks open?) but I was never quite sure the timing was correct either.

FYI - I searched this forum for timing for a good hour and didn't find what I needed so my apologies if I overlooked something.

Name:	IMG_5047.jpg 
Views:	20 
Size:	755.5 KB 
ID:	252668Thanks in advance.
    Well I always say, nothing like OEM when you have a stock trike. I would try to find a stock carb, you don't have the original Carb any longer?
    90 nickolson Bored and Stroked "The Good"

Big Bore 110 Pauter frame "The Bad"

90 Bored and Stroked “vey’s frame” "The Ugly"

110 JSC frame Bored and Stroked
    flat track build. “Shop trike”

1974 original 90 X 2

1974 Original 70.

--
    Honestly, it had been running fine since September of last year - smooth idle, good top end. Top speed about 58/59. Then this past Sunday it started cutting out/bogging down on top end. It will idle good with idle screw set rather lean but the minute you give it gave it dies. I just figured the carb is crap already? The timing I've never checked, tweaked etc. I don't believe the original carb is anywhere but I'll check the shed. Thanks everyone.

--
    I think your timing is probably ok if it was running fine before. Sounds like carb problems really. You mentioned the black plug. If it is running rich at the top end you could drop the needle one notch. I'm assuming the china/ebay carbs still have a clip adjustment for the needle. Also, throw a new plug in there and see what happens.
    - Frank

1984 200ES Big Red
    1985 350X (x2)
    1986 350X
    1986 250SX
    1984 Auto-X
    1984 ATC70
    1985 ATC70

--
    Thanks - the carb does have the needle with the Eclip - currently on the 3rd groove. I'll try that and throw in a new plug. I've cleaned existing one but feel it has been pulled too many times and cleaned due to being all black - which was happening even when it was running right....

Appreciate the input.

--
    So I got a new carb today and installed - started up great. Used a timing light and the "F" mark lines up perfect at idle - does that mean I am good to go on the timing? I'm not sure what the manual means on the snippet I attached. Are there other marks I should see on the flywheel? Maybe I need to clean more rust off. I just know when I rev it up, it doesn't like up and I can't see the "F".Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Capture.PNG 
Views:	24 
Size:	8.3 KB 
ID:	252679

--
    Quote Originally Posted by rideus74 View Post
    So I got a new carb today and installed - started up great. Used a timing light and the "F" mark lines up perfect at idle - does that mean I am good to go on the timing? I'm not sure what the manual means on the snippet I attached. Are there other marks I should see on the flywheel? Maybe I need to clean more rust off. I just know when I rev it up, it doesn't like up and I can't see the "F".Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Capture.PNG 
Views:	24 
Size:	8.3 KB 
ID:	252679

Name:	IMG_20180531_200342423_HDR.jpg 
Views:	22 
Size:	2.51 MB 
ID:	252680

Sounds like you got it, RPM needs to be within a certain range and yes when you rev it it moves.
    90 nickolson Bored and Stroked "The Good"

Big Bore 110 Pauter frame "The Bad"

90 Bored and Stroked “vey’s frame” "The Ugly"

110 JSC frame Bored and Stroked
    flat track build. “Shop trike”

1974 original 90 X 2

1974 Original 70.

//ArrowChat Integreation Code //