//ArrowChat Code

Upcoming Events for the Next 120 Day(s)

Thread: 200X and 350x front master cylinders

dirtwheels is offline At The Back Of The Pack Arm chair racerAt the back of the pack
    --

200X and 350x front master cylinders

For those of you looking for new genuine Honda/Nissin close match front master cylinders for 350xs, 200xs, etc, the part number from Honda that is current and available is 45510-HM8-B41 for the TRX250. They run about $40.00 from Honda and are a good match for replacements on older bikes.

Recently on ebay I've seen late model master cylinders that are being described as NOS 200X HB5 or 350X HA5 and sold for $300.00. They are real Nissin cylinders but are not NOS and not vintage. Here is how to tell the difference between real NOS ones and the newer ones:

The quickest way to tell is on the bottom side. The newer ones have a boss and screw hole provision for the rear brake light controller wire. The original ones do not as there were no 3-wire brake lights on the 200x and 350x, only 2-wire taillights.

Other more subtle ways to tell:

The original 1986 master cylinders use a convex sight glass lens while the new late model ones are basically a flat lens. The exception to this is the HB5-670 part number for the 1987 200x only. This part number used a flat site glass. I attached a photo of an original NOS one I used on my 87 200x restoration.

Replacement master cylinders for the 86-87 200x and 85-86 350x were only sold as complete kits with lever and rubber already attached.

On the 350X only, some the original master cylinders that came on the bikes had HA5 embossed on the back side. The later replacement ones did not have this marking.

The handlebar clamp on the original master cylinders are concave to accept the countersunk screws, while the late model ones are flat and use 6mm flange bolts.

In the 80s and 90s most of the master cylinders sold by Honda came in boxes and not bags like they do today. Also, the labels would have been the older style with the circle.

Hope this helps someone out. The late model ones are great for $40.00. I have one on one of my bikes and its great. Only someone with a trained eye would be able to notice it. I dont want to see someone fork over $300.00 thinking they are getting the real deal when it is essentially a new part with half the part number conveniently missing by someone using a piece of tape on it and pulling it off. Also, look closely at the photo I posted with the complete part number label and the one from ebay (last photo), the barcodes are an exact match bar for bar as well as the VC and CP numbers on the side. The JD numbers are the lot numbers so they may differ.

People are free to do whatever they wish to try to make money on ebay. I get it, its a free market. Im just pointing these things out and people can draw their own conclusions.
    Attached Images Attached Images

dirtwheels is offline At The Back Of The Pack Arm chair racerAt the back of the pack
    --
    Forgot to mention that the new ones do not come with screws/bolts in the bag but they do come with the clamp as pictured. It looks as if the one on ebay, the clamp was switched after it was removed from the bag to the older style clamp and screws which are still available from Honda.

Arky-X is offline At The Back Of The Pack Arm chair racerFirst time rider
    --
    Quote Originally Posted by dirtwheels View Post
    Hope this helps someone out. The late model ones are great for $40.00. I have one on one of my bikes and its great. Only someone with a trained eye would be able to notice it. I don’t want to see someone fork over $300.00 thinking they are getting the real deal when it is essentially a new part with half the part number conveniently missing by someone using a piece of tape on it and pulling it off. Also, look closely at the photo I posted with the complete part number label and the one from ebay (last photo), the barcodes are an exact match bar for bar as well as the VC and CP numbers on the side. The JD numbers are the lot numbers so they may differ.

People are free to do whatever they wish to try to make money on ebay. I get it, it’s a free market. I’m just pointing these things out and people can draw their own conclusions.
    That's the problem with evil-Bay, full of misrepresented items. Covering a part number with tape is not a free market, it is false advertising. That is against their policy and I would hope someone would return the item for "item not as described" if it were advertised as so.

Your research and post makes for informed consumers. I would hope people would research and question a $300 part if they really were looking for NOS but we know that isn't always the case. I put "45510-HM8-B41" in my build notes so I know what to look for on my build.

Try finding this type of info on the Book Face!

Cheers!

--
    Great thread. Should be a sticky.

Thank you

Sent from my Z958 using Tapatalk

--
    Thanks for the heads up on this dirtwheels. Great information on this thread!
    • 1985 Honda 250SX
    • 1985 Honda 350X
    • 1985 Honda 350X
    • 1986 Honda 250R

I Love The 350x. Its So Bad

My Feedback Link!

--
    Thank you for this!! I tried to figure this out awhile back. And I got stuck with 2 new SILVER masters, LOL, but they work great.

Now I can get black, awesome share!!!! Thank you again!!
    86 ATC200X Flatrack ( I may not be fast but this is one FAST 200X!!).

86 ATC350X Motocross, 86 ATC452X Flatrack!!

07 Weekend Warrior Toy Hauler

//ArrowChat Integreation Code //