//ArrowChat Code

Thread: 85 ATC 250R Frame cracks - best repair method

--

85 ATC 250R Frame cracks - best repair method

I posted this in the new member area while waiting to get my privileges to post in Trikesylvania:

Just picked up an 85 ATC 250R a few days ago and wanted to ask for advice moving forward. The frame is cracked in a few places (see pics), and I wanted some input on the best repair method. This is something that I will hire out (though mechanically inclined, I am not a welder), however I would like to be armed with the right information to instruct specific methods if so necessary.

I am pulling the engine to have it gone through top to bottom, so the trike will be partially stripped anyway, and this may aid in making the repair.

Let me know your thoughts and what you have done to repair frame cracks.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20180604_130632.jpg 
Views:	71 
Size:	1.49 MB 
ID:	252817Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20180606_135744.jpg 
Views:	69 
Size:	1.31 MB 
ID:	252818
    Last edited by dbtiger; 06-07-2018 at 04:13 PM.
    85 ATC 250R
    85 ATC 350X
    87 Quadzilla LT500R

--
    Buddy I hate the be the bearer of bad news, but that looks pretty bad.

Take a good look and make sure that the frame hasn’t rusted from the inside so badly that the paint is thicker than the remaining steel.

If the steel is sound make sure the frame isn’t twisted up and that there aren’t more cracks starting in less obvious places. Suggest you strip the frame of all parts and get it sand blasted so you can see everything.

If it all checks out and you have a straight and otherwise sound frame that just happens to have cracked from falling off a cliff or some other one time mishap then you should be able to repair it with gussets and welding.

For the round tubes I would preheat and weld them, then grind the welds flat and cover them with horizontally split tubes with an ID the same as the OD of the frame tubes and weld them length ways over the cracked area. Do not weld the ends of these fish plates or you will create stress points that will eventually crack.

If there are gusset kits for these frames someone on here will know and advise you. Best get one.
    Last edited by El Camexican; 06-07-2018 at 05:23 PM.
    It sucks to get old

--
    Quite honestly I have told guys to ditch their frames with cracks not as bad as those. The best route is to get another frame as those are in very high stress areas, but should you need to fix it for whatever reason see my PM.
    Feedback for yaegerb: Click Here

Need something blasted or polished or both? Send me a PM

--
    That frame is jacked. I'd get another one.

Those are pretty catastrophic breaks

Sent from my Z958 using Tapatalk

Billy Golightly is offline Always finding new and exciting ways to not give a hoot in hell Catch me if you can
    --
    Blog Entries
    Those are both fixable - but I am willing to bet what you're dealing with there is a more internal rust in the frame tubes than you realize, and that has thinned and weakened the tubing, and is causing it to crack, and it'll continue to do so.

I had one frame with a couple pin holes in the bottom, I didn't pay much mind to it, but I kept running it and before long every mount on the bottom was cracked out and the swingarm pivot plates looked like they had spider webs running from the back part of the cradle around them.

It can be patched, but thats exactly what it is - I'd be hunting a better frame as soon as possible.

--
    Quote Originally Posted by Billy Golightly View Post
    Those are both fixable - but I am willing to bet what you're dealing with there is a more internal rust in the frame tubes than you realize, and that has thinned and weakened the tubing, and is causing it to crack, and it'll continue to do so.

I had one frame with a couple pin holes in the bottom, I didn't pay much mind to it, but I kept running it and before long every mount on the bottom was cracked out and the swingarm pivot plates looked like they had spider webs running from the back part of the cradle around them.

It can be patched, but thats exactly what it is - I'd be hunting a better frame as soon as possible.
    Had many like that could be from abuse but like others said strip it and take it to a pro and gusset those areas good to go !!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

--
    Well, the consensus seems to be find a better frame. That works for me since the engine is out.

What’s the best avenue for finding a frame, eBay?
    85 ATC 250R
    85 ATC 350X
    87 Quadzilla LT500R

--
    Glad to hear it. Life is short, be safe, not sorry.

Try to find one that was used in CA or AZ, verses anywhere they have water, mud or salt.
    It sucks to get old

--
    Quote Originally Posted by dbtiger View Post
    Well, the consensus seems to be find a better frame. That works for me since the engine is out.

What’s the best avenue for finding a frame, eBay?
    Yes eBay is your friend/foe at the moment.
    Feedback for yaegerb: Click Here

Need something blasted or polished or both? Send me a PM

//ArrowChat Integreation Code //