//ArrowChat Code

Thread: 1980 Yamaha Tri Moto 125 Restore- Resto-Mod?

--

1980 Yamaha Tri Moto 125 Restore- Resto-Mod?

Hello folks, I'm certainly not new to forums but new to this one. I picked up a Tri Moto as a new project, it runs, but not very well. So I'm trying to decide which way to go with this thing.
    First off, the carb that is on it is not the original. The PO said it was from a 200cc bike. It's a Mikuni and doesn't exactly fit right. Can anyone tell me what carb is compatible?

Next, are there options to replace the motor for an upgrade? I know these things aren't real popular so just a crazy thought, but has anyone discovered an aftermarket motor that fits?

I could go any way on this project for now. From stock restoration to resto-mod. Any info would really be appreciated.

Cheers.

--
    Free Yamaha trike manual downloads here

The correct carb info will probably be in there as well

https://threewheelermanuals.com

Post up pics. We like pics.

As far as popularity, we like em all. They all end up costing more than what we could sell them for, sport model or not, so it's a labor of love no matter what make/model.

If you want it to run better, start by putting the correct carb back on it especially with two stroke engines. If it doesn't fit well like you mentioned, you're sure to have air leaks somewhere in the path between the cylinder and the air filter. I wouldn't run the engine much until then, that way you're not running lean and seizing it.

Sent from my Z958 using Tapatalk
    Last edited by ironchop; 07-05-2018 at 08:44 PM.

--
    I believe that you can use IT/DT motorcycle engines on these. They have a kick start and manual clutch.

--
    Thank you for the info/Replies. I actually found the original carb, glad because they are hard to come by. So, I'm hoping I can rebuild it. I looked around a little on the interwebs at the DT's, not too sure about the mount locations matching up. I'm hoping that wouldn't be a big obstacle no matter what route I go. I got it all torn down already and plan on powder coating the frame and refreshing the paint on the forks. Then just the painstaking cleaning and degreasing of all of the parts and fasteners.
    I'll see if I can upload pics...
    Cheers!
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	TriMoto.jpg 
Views:	25 
Size:	82.4 KB 
ID:	253468

//ArrowChat Integreation Code //