//ArrowChat Code
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Travis Pastrana jump in Vegas.

--

Travis Pastrana jump in Vegas.

Anyone watch it? Thoughts?

I thought it was ok. He made it look easy using the flat track style bike. I did find it funny how there was NO word of Robbie who has done jumps live... He had some issues with drinking and driving. Guess they wanted to not include him in this piece of History.

Looks like I am going to Nitro Circus at the end of September. Should be a good show. Also going to a flat track race in a couple weeks at a horse track. I went last year. Found it cool.
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

'83 200X

Chicks love guys that ride trikes

--
    Oh yeah! It was effortless looking for him though. Alot of hype but I still thought it was cool. I want a travis pastrana stunt cycle! haaaaaa! Hopefully we won't see the end of some other pro's wanting to get in on this. Seth enslow's record was just beat by pastrana with the bus jump. Seth is only 43, he still has one more jump in him.

the tecate kid is offline At The Back Of The Pack Arm chair racerAt the back of the pack
    --
    I agree, just think about the advancements made in technology since the original Caesar's jump...… Not only with the machinery but with the ramps, etc. I guarantee back in the day they just threw together some plywood and 2x4's, gave Evel a 5th of Jack and told him to go for it! lol. The brutal honestly and straight forward interviews that Evel gave will never be matched, but you can't take Travis' skill away... Anyone that can keep his head in the air, and use his back brake to bring the front end down, then nail it at the end to bring the front end back up, while jumping over that many buses on a V-twin in 107 degree heat in white dress boots is OK in my book. No way in heck...…….
    Been There...Dug That.

--
    Well said
    Please help those who cannot help themselves.

ALWAYS buying Museum quality machines,3 and 4 wheels. And any and ALL ,NOS parts,EVERY brand.

I am turning my PM's Off,my Email is billsracing@hotmail.com,put 3WW in the subject. Thanx!

Gun laws do not stop criminals. BULLETS do.

--
    Quote Originally Posted by the tecate kid View Post
    I agree, just think about the advancements made in technology since the original Caesar's jump...… Not only with the machinery but with the ramps, etc. I guarantee back in the day they just threw together some plywood and 2x4's, gave Evel a 5th of Jack and told him to go for it! lol. The brutal honestly and straight forward interviews that Evel gave will never be matched, but you can't take Travis' skill away... Anyone that can keep his head in the air, and use his back brake to bring the front end down, then nail it at the end to bring the front end back up, while jumping over that many buses on a V-twin in 107 degree heat in white dress boots is OK in my book. No way in heck...…….
    100%. Evil would just 'SEND IT' He was a tuff SOB. I am oldish (47) but never saw the jumps as a child. I was out eating dirt and burning ants with a magnifying glass...
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

'83 200X

--
    Quote Originally Posted by Rob Canadian View Post
    100%. Evil would just 'SEND IT' He was a tuff SOB. I am oldish (47) but never saw the jumps as a child. I was out eating dirt and burning ants with a magnifying glass...
    Agreed. Probably because I'm 1971 vintage myself.

I just remember how tough he was. He was always wrecking and getting smashed up so for me, that was the attraction just as much as the stunt itself, maybe moreso.

I just wasn't enthused about Travis..... Because it's Travis... Of course he can recreate the jump. I doubt Evel trained anywhere near that hard nor did he have a compound full of bikes and ramps everywhere as a lifestyle. Whipping your Haro Master through a 540 on your backyard half pipe was insane in 1986. Now it's just cliche.

It really wasn't exciting seeing Pastrana doing what I already knew he could do.

Sent from my Z958 using Tapatalk
    Last edited by ironchop; 07-09-2018 at 10:12 PM.

--
    I wouldn't ' watch another. Complete miss. It's probably cool for kids though.
    If some guy on a 500cc 250r jumped over anything ..... it would be exciting to me.
    Last edited by fieldy; 07-09-2018 at 10:43 PM.

--
    Quote Originally Posted by ironchop View Post
    Agreed. Probably because I'm 1971 vintage myself.

I just remember how tough he was. He was always wrecking and getting smashed up so for me, that was the attraction just as much as the stunt itself, maybe moreso.

I just wasn't enthused about Travis..... Because it's Travis... Of course he can recreate the jump. I doubt Evel trained anywhere near that hard nor did he have a compound full of bikes and ramps everywhere as a lifestyle. Whipping your Haro Master through a 540 on your backyard half pipe was insane in 1986. Now it's just cliche.

It really wasn't exciting seeing Pastrana doing what I already knew he could do.

The talent and what HAS and WHAT has done is off the hook in modern day. No namers are doing massive gaps in sand/ gravel etc. yes on MX bikes. It did have cool factor but was not a WOW factor. Ya I don't think Evil he had a trainer or personal trainer or a personal physician. LOL

'83 200X

--
    My personal view of Evel is that he was probably the worst stuntman in the history of the world. He never looked in control of the bike, even on straightaways. With that said, he has to be one of the toughest, bravest bastards to ever walk this earth. It was a nice tribute but the things they're doing night after night at the Nitro Circus have really desensitized us to how hard jumps really are.
    Looking for a Bassani silencer for a 2nd gen tecate, the style with the movable mount. 1st gen will work

--
    Quote Originally Posted by 86T3 View Post
    My personal view of Evel is that he was probably the worst stuntman in the history of the world. He never looked in control of the bike, even on straightaways. With that said, he has to be one of the toughest, bravest bastards to ever walk this earth. It was a nice tribute but the things they're doing night after night at the Nitro Circus have really desensitized us to how hard jumps really are.
    Could you take Evil over the top? Not a chance Joseph. He opened the door to the circus. Im not impressed on your take of the legend of stunts.
    Trikefest surviver 2013 and 2014

--
    Evel was the real deal........

Travis is played out......like watching Mayweather win another bout.

Imagine the equipment Evel had to use? Has anyone ever road an old ironhead off a curb at 30mph? Or jumping a curb on a 60s Bonneville? He was jumping cars and buses and fountains on Bonnevilles and Ironheads and XR750s.....Nortons!! Now if Travis jumps something using a sporty or a Honda FB6 Goldwing......that would be intersting.

--
    Its was ok.I watched Evil back when he did these stunts it was real.Big difference is Travis new he would be successful Evil didnt know if he would make it or not but still tryed. Using the brakes and throttle to control a abike,trike or quad is common among racers.I would be more impressed if Travis made the jumps on exact same replica bike and ramps.His landing ramps absorbed alot of the impact.Just my 2 cents.
    Last edited by atc300r; 07-10-2018 at 06:47 AM.
    250r rules

--
    Quote Originally Posted by knappyfeet View Post
    ... Has anyone ever road an old ironhead off a curb at 30mph? Or jumping a curb on a 60s Bonneville?.....

Yes. Both of those things. Of course they eventually became Hardtails which makes things even worse than before. Staying on the seat rather than sailing over the handlebars is a chore as they are more like riding a bucking bronc than a bike

My user name is ironchop, as in ironhead chopper (it's long gone now) after that I got into Brit bikes, a 70 or 71 unit Bonnie and a BSA A50

--
    Quote Originally Posted by ironchop View Post
    My user name is ironchop, as in ironhead chopper (it's long gone now) after that I got into Brit bikes, a 70 or 71 unit Bonnie and a BSA A50
    Since all you guys are young pups I can remember vividly his jumps and especially his jump across the grand canyon. It was watched like the moon landing....... or an Ali event. All the television channels were covering it. Every house you went into had some form of event related discussion on a TV channel. It was counted down and when the parachute deployed the cameras were on it like a return Apollo mission vehicle landing.

Not to take away from Travis........ he is one of the greats.....but I doubt he would do it on my ironhead. It does have a disc brake upgrade for better stopping.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	12905-albums386-picture90170.jpg 
Views:	11 
Size:	2.80 MB 
ID:	253485

--
    VERY nice bike Nappy

//ArrowChat Integreation Code //