//ArrowChat Code
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: New truck suggestions

--

New truck suggestions

Time for a new Truck, I have allways been a chevy / gmc guy but just curious what others think ? I am driving an 06 2wd ...so I am behind the times on all the new technology... thinking 4x4 4door 5.3
    our original 85 we bought new, 2 - 86 police specials
    250r dust runner
    04 Yamaha kodiaK 450 snowbuster ! Brute Force 750 dust collector .
    Bunch of es stuff I been buying for next builds....
    Gone but lives on in my aching body the mighty 350x collection . A Beat 85 es im gonna rebuild

--
    Know quite a few new Dodge owners 55k-65k. One new Ford owner 75k-80k. All 4dr 4x4 diesels. Whatever floats your boat. All nice imo.
    Trikes owned:
    83 Honda 200x "Liquid X"
    81 DG 250r : Sold

--
    After looking at the Dodge and Ford offerings again I bought my fifth long term Chevy in February. It’s a 2017 4X4 6.2 with the 8 speed. The prior one was a 2013 with a 5.3 and the 6 speed.

Major upgrade in terms of power and economy. The 5.3 got 14mpg at 80 mph and was nothing special in a drag race. The 6.2 gets as much as 21 mpg at 80 mph and burns rubber at my command.

They tried hard to catchup with Ford in the interior department after 2014. Lots of compartments. My complaint list on this one is pretty short...

- lots of drive train lash. Scary noises. I just tell keep telling myself it’s under warranty.
    - rear seats seem smaller than the 2013 seats and that makes the capacity of the optional under seat tray smaller
    - shape of the front end makes it hard to judge distance when parking, but the parking sensors solve that
    - way too many electronic bells and whistles for this dinasaur
    - the sound system no longer comes with the ability to store music, so you’re stuck with carrying around discs, or using your phone for tunes
    - auto shutdown at 99 mph. It’s not violent, you can just sit at 99 and it runs smoothly, but what a shame as it’s hardly spinning above 2,000 rpm at that speed. I figure it would pull 150+ without the safety feature.

You might want to wait for the 2019’s to come out as they are fully redesigned.
    Last edited by El Camexican; 07-15-2018 at 03:05 AM.
    It sucks to get old

--
    I’ve had this for about 2yrs, 2016 quadcab chevy 5.3 ecotech3 way to much electronic crap, just waiting for elec fails.
    Its got the V4 mode which shuts down cylinders while driving, I will not buy another truck that does this!!! Around town I just keep it in manual 5th and it won’t go back and forth(slight hesitation when it does). On the highway it’s in V4 mode 80% of the time- but watching mileage I don’t see any difference- it’s just a thing for the tree huggers so they think there saving the environment.
    It does pull a full 16 foot trailer good though, I forget its back there sometimes.
    The rear shocks are rotting out already. (Northeast salt!!!!)
    No other real rust yet though
    Will say this truck is easiest for oil changes though(ten minutes) no skid plates to remove either.
    If u buy a Chevy or gmc look at the spare tire these are 18’s but the spare is a 17 it’s very common for this lately, dealerships claim the spare is just for temp use so it’ll be fine- no thanks just check before you sign....
    Oh don’t pay anything near sticker price, I walked out paying 32,000 it’s still alot but what can ya do. Really like that it has 4-wheel disc brakes/ no more rear drums to change out!!!!
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	7650EEEB-2A06-4CF5-8CCF-AFFFB4987F41.jpeg 
Views:	13 
Size:	2.37 MB 
ID:	253577 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	AB7F4821-BC9A-4B3A-AE7F-83CF57725B04.jpeg 
Views:	14 
Size:	2.19 MB 
ID:	253578 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	F966339E-D537-40A5-AE49-0FFB15BD4F27.jpeg 
Views:	14 
Size:	2.80 MB 
ID:	253579

I gotta say it does ride nice, just wish it had a rear slide window but a wrongly placed 2x4 and insurance will give me a slider this fall
    And just a heads up the ac delco (cheaper for them to produce) oil filters now have a plastic filter cage that can warp/melt putting filter material throughout your engine- use like a Napa gold: or similiar, just look inside for a metal cage first.

I also bought the 100,000 mile drivetrain warranty/ figure I’ll trade it in a 99,000

Shep
    Last edited by Shep1970; 07-15-2018 at 09:52 AM.

--
    El...I read on motor trend the 6.2 engine gets less mpg than the 5.3 .. Can you shut off the electrical crap not needed or used ? And how about for the v4 set up ?
    250r dust runner
    Gone but lives on in my aching body the mighty 350x collection . A Beat 85 es im gonna rebuild

--
    The V4 if I knew which wire to cut I’d have done it long ago. I’ve read you can get it reprogrammed i just havent looked into it warranty wise/ dealer says they can’t do anything but have had lots of complaints about it. If I buy a V8 that’s what it needs to stay. Its not bad just keep it in m5 instead of just drive but in m6 it allows V4 so on highway there’s no choice.
    Couple pics to show drive vs m5 you can see the cylinder#. Its not real bad when switches over but u can hear/feel it.

Name:	27577A43-0AF3-4E2E-9BEC-41DAB90A7442.jpeg 
Size:	2.36 MB 
ID:	253582 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	31D8CF1E-80D5-4D02-B25D-560240771704.jpeg 
Size:	2.36 MB 
ID:	253583

I believe the next larger engine doesn’t have this setup but could be wrong
    It has a pulling trailer button which makes the tranny shift at a higher rpm but doesn’t shut off V4
    Shep
    Last edited by Shep1970; 07-15-2018 at 01:12 PM.

--
    I am very confused about the V4 feature. The only time it ever activated on either of my 5.3’s was when I was coasting. On the 6.2 I see it activate quite frequently and as Shep has mentioned there is a slight delay when getting back onto the throttle, but nothing that I would consider complaining about.

I believe the differential on my six speed 5.3 was a 3:42and it spun about 500 rpm higher than the 8 speed does at any given speed. The nice thing about the 8 speed is that in first you have a 4:56 ratio.

I don’t know how anybody is getting better mileage with their 5.3 than they are with a 6.2, maybe it’s got something to do with driving a lower speeds, but my 6.2 seems to get better mileage in the city as well. It also gets 2 mpg better than the smaller engine when I tow a trailer.
    It sucks to get old

--

Name:	0715180105.jpg 
Views:	12 
Size:	1.38 MB 
ID:	253585 I see SHEP has 44 k miles on his...Have you had ANY problems with your truck ?
    250r dust runner

--
    Absolutly no problems at all (except a speeding ticket/drives at 90 really smoothly) The first few free oil changes the Dealer spilled oil down the fenders upon filling.. and left it for me to clean up, hasn’t been back since. Needs a 2” lift in front to level off the truck though. Its going to need 4 shocks I’ll do it then. Ya the V4 it’s not bad but will do my homework next time around, Don’t let it keep u from buying one. The third tailight leaked when brand new- apparently no gasket or sealant was used when put together/ all set now though. I like how the rear view mirror on this still has the manual like toggle for bright lights behind you. There not auto bright dimming that most have now/ hope that makes sense. Of course the onstar button is right there and have push it by accident more than a few times.
    4-wheel drive/ truck is great in the snow
    Pulling a trailer I did notice 9-12 mpg on a long uphill on the highway
    Shep

Trucks been driven to Arizona and back, Florida twice, Indiana twice the mileage adds up quick
    Last edited by Shep1970; 07-15-2018 at 03:04 PM.

--
    I gotta buy a damn truck too. This Tacoma is going to self destruct if I keep pulling my Toy Hauler.

I planned on buying a Tundra this year for roughly 20K and pay cash. I HATE car payments and haven't had one in 25 years.

But, my stubbornness has resulted in me not going anywhere this whole season, which stinks!!

Gotta grab something before next spring. But 30,40,50,70 grand??!! NO WAY!!
    All our government does is distract us while they steal from us, misspend our tax $ and ruin our country

--
    My 04 dodge works just as good as a 15year newer truck. Mopar only for me.

--
    Yup your up for a new or newer truck steve, just gotta get off your wallet you could keep the ole truck for apt clean outs and such
    We put more than 50% down so payments are pie. Just find a rich woman to buy u one
    Wonder if u can get a tax rightoff on taxes if u wrapped it into the apartments somehow? Might be worth looking into.

Shep

--
    I’ve done 2” leveling on the front of both mine, same kit for 2007 thru 2018.

I’m told the 4 cylinder and 99 mph limit can be disabled with a chip, but it would void the warranty.

I don’t care about the 4 banger thing, but the 99 thing bothers me because if someone ever tries to rob me (or worse) on the highway I would like to be able to get away.
    It sucks to get old

--
    I came close to the 99 driving out west, I suppose it makes it easier for cops to chase if needed but say if I do 130 and get caught it was “my” call to make not the govt. to tell me I can’t - must be mandated from govt for all new vehicles? I wonder, can’t amagine a govenor on new street bikes though/ well not yet anyway

Shep

--
    I plan on keeping it till it's scrap. what can I expect in to replace ? My 05 2wd eats front wheel bearings, had a u joint go bad @ 40 k, cd player quit @ 72k, heater quit @ 83k. But this 4x4 stuff scares me ..
    250r dust runner

//ArrowChat Integreation Code //