//ArrowChat Code
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: New truck suggestions

--
    My base 86 ford ranger with the 2.Slo and manual everything does what it was made to do with little trouble other than routine maintenance. Pump the gas twice, turn the key, it blows a puff of smoke out of the tailpipe, and away we go. If i could find another one in good shape i wouldn't hesitate to buy it. I've had it two years and 50,000 miles and haven't done anything to it besides belts and hoses and chunking the smog pump as far as i could throw it.

Reliable, simple, easy to repair, it gets 18ish miles per gallon, it ain't gonna be hauling much or towing or offroading but its perfect for what i need it for.
    Suicide Hill Survivor

The rides:
    1981 ATC110
    1982 ATC185
    1983 ATC185s
    1984 ATC200es
    1985 ATC200x

When the going gets tough, the tough get sideways

Mosh is offline I'm the one with all the 2 stroke around here! The day begins with 3WW
    --
    I have been professionally wrenching on cars and trucks for almost 30 years and own my own shop.
    I can tell all of you with utmost certainty, there ain't a car or truck on the road past 2007 worth a crap compared to their earlier counterparts, unless you consider trading in before 100K.
    And I know I am gonna get the Ford, Chevy, whatever.... loyalists calling BS at me, But I work on them all, all day, every day..

"They" have all built in planned failure for return sales, parts obsolescence, thinned out the bodies to get better fuel mileage, made more crap out of lighter plastic, less paint, 6 speed transmissions that are bombing at 120k,timing chains and guides blowing out at 120K due to variable valve timing stress...It is ALL utter 35k$ and up garbage..I feel bad for the driving public that pays these prices and has to deal with a 3700$ trans rebuild before the damn thing gets paid off. Like a mouse to cheese, the dealers found between the mid 90s to mid 2000s, they were building too good of cars, and sales were dropping, so now they put you in a over priced POS, send you into a new loan every 5 years and be upside down on a payment hook, the rest of your damn life. And that idiot, loppy eared, cash for clunking moron ex pres, was in on it back in 08 with his "bail out"....

As far as trucks, the best ones ever built are the 94-2005 Silverados and Suburbans. I have 2 Silverados that have 360K between them and 1- 99 Suburban with 250K, and only one has had a Transmission rebuilt, and all have OEM engines.... Chevy took a bullet proof 5.3 and Bruce Degenerated the damn things with the DOD 4 cylinder mode, that drops the valvetrain at 100K-...Contrary to popular thought and opinions, even Toyota and Honda are mere shells of reliability of their pre- new millennium counterparts..Just like that TV, fridge , Washer, dryer, etc....This new stuff is 5-7 year throw away junk, and it ain't gonna change until the public figures it out and quits buying it.
    Would not be so bad if a new truck was 17K, but 45K and at 100k it needs a engine or trans..F that...

--
    I'll agree with mosh on this one cuz my buddy installs truck accessories....them newer fords feel like 2ply tp. V8s running on and off of cylinders...still makes me think how it's gonna last. I'm good with 16 spark plugs and 8 cylinders running at all times. Trucks turned into suvs with beds cuz we killed off real suvs....now they turned into bmws. A radio is all a truck needs of you got a v8...you wanna hear that a tires that slightly hum.

My buddy's 12 f250 is rotting out all over with 75k miles on it. It's all junk. And glued together.

--
    just one more 2016 chevy complaint- the radio randomly while driving or sometimes on start up will block out the radio until u hit the “ok” button. Reminding u not to take your eyes off the road but u need to in order to hit the button. Who’s idiotic idea was that......happened again just now at 45mph Click image for larger version. 

Name:	6D3268BE-D31C-4B56-B35B-6A53A4858699.jpeg 
Views:	16 
Size:	2.54 MB 
ID:	253629. Ok complaint over

Shep

fabiodriven is offline Aspiring romance novel cover model, and the Official 3WW slayer of thieves and swindlers. Catch me if you can
    --
    Quote Originally Posted by oldskool83 View Post
    My 04 dodge works just as good as a 15year newer truck. Mopar only for me.
    Now this makes complete sense to me. OldStool would definitely own a Dodge.

Modern Dodge vehicles are garbage. My spare truck is a 99 Dodge 1500, 5.2, 2wd, 5 speed, short bed. What a fantastic turd of engineering. It's impossible to go through a week without issues, and when I talk to other Dodge owners it's the same thing. Conversations with other Dodge owners consist of comparing problems and how on earth they were able to fix it, and it's a different answer every time. Many end up saying they were never able to fix it. Conversely I high-five other 7.3 owners. There are no cut-and-dry problems with Dodge. Your GM dies, change the fuel pump. Your 7.3 stops running, change the cam sensor. Dodge problems defy logic and reasoning. Wipers stop working, bad seat belt sensor. Fuel gauge doesn't work, low tire pressure in the spare. Obviously I'm making these examples up but the reality isn't far from that. Every time I hear a whining rear end coming up my road it is almost always a Dodge, and that happens quite often. Their interiors are chinsy and always have been. When you need replacement parts, get ready to go to the dealer and pay dearly for parts that you can buy aftermarket at fraction of the cost for other vehicles. I rode in a 2015ish Dodge 1500 two weeks ago, and the rear seat is a joke. So small and cramped. My friend has a Tundra and you could live in the rear seat area of that truck.

Quote Originally Posted by dustrunner View Post
    My 05 2wd eats front wheel bearings,
    GM right? If you don't like replacing front hubs, don't buy a GM. As Nico said though, they are cheap and easy to replace.

Quote Originally Posted by glamy View Post
    I can`t stand Dogg , Fart and Shitty ......5.7 Yoda bring on da hate
    I'd have a hard time choosing a half ton truck (but I wouldn't even consider Dodge), but Toyota would be very high on my list as well as the twin turbo F150. My aforementioned friend has a 2014 Tundra 1794 Edition or something like that? I've never seen a better interior, just wow. It is nicey nice, really nice. It's only four years old and has short mileage but what a great truck. Nico you're full of beans with your Tundra down talk, they're great trucks.

I'm not a GM guy but they have been making some great trucks lately. Mik6 has a recent 2500 with the 6.0, I don't know how many miles but it doesn't have that many. The exhaust manifold just started leaking and this truck is wayyy too young for that. Not a big deal but still. My neighbor has a 2012 1500 with the 5.3 and it has a lot of power and it's a good truck all around, super quiet ride driving it up the road.

Quote Originally Posted by 86T3 View Post
    Hey Ironchop, i have a FI 460 with a 2wd 5 speed behind it if that's something you fancy. It's in a Ford superduty, back when superduty actually meant something, not just a catch phrase.
    So "meaning something" to you is terrible fuel mileage as well as low horsepower and torque.

What Mosh is saying makes a lot of sense to me. My 99 F350 Super Duty with the 7.3 diesel is an awesome truck, it never ceases to amaze me. It's as much of a part of my annual Trikefest experience as my trikes, more so actually. It hauls 18 hours to Indiana each way loaded very heavy, over 20,000 lbs truck and trailer. On my way home this year, I took Rt 66 to Rt 22 to Rt 99 in PA (or something like that), which was all long mountain pulls, and that truck with 280k on the clock eats up all highway like it's it's job, which it is. To quote Joe Swatland (86t3) when he watched me pull my 15,000 lb trailer out of the mud at Trikefest 2015 with my 2wd Super Duty; "That's some kind of super truck or something!" Yes Joe, yes it is, but your Dodge-owning opinion doesn't matter when the subject is trucks.

My truck also got double the fuel mileage of Mik6's GM 6.0, and his combined rig is probably 7,000 lbs lighter than mine. I'm getting off subject now, I think you're looking for a half ton.

If I were looking at new or near-new half tons, I'd look at the F150 Ecoboost first, then probably the Tundra. I'd have to do more research beyond that. I'd buy a Yugo before I bought a Dodge.
    Last edited by fabiodriven; 07-16-2018 at 02:34 PM.
    85 Tri-Zinger 60
    85 ATC250SX
    86 ATC250SX
    87 ATC250SX
    02 XR650L conversion
    84 ATC 480R

--
    Some ppl hate dodges. My sests are more comfortable then 06-08 dodges. Those got pretty hard like my buddy's f250. Most of us but somthing by the looks. I liked the truck when it came out in 02. So I bought one to build up 5-6 years ago. Been fine for me. Better then my 2nd gens in handeling better then my s10 blazer and truck too. I'm not one to get rid of works good.

Can't belive you still feel the need to hate me and over what.

--
    [QUOTE=fabiodriven;1481005]
    Fuel gauge doesn't work, low tire pressure in the spare.

This reminded me of my first car, a VW beetle. The windshield washer used the air pressure from the spare tire haha. Nothing like cleaning your windows in bad weather knowing you were draining your spare.

And I daily drive a 1972 GMC Suburban 3/4T 4 Speed 4WD. Doesn't like much north of 65MPH with the 4.10's, but I don't spend much time on highway. When something fails, it's generally identifiable within a few minutes, and easy to repair. On the other hand, my 1994 turbo EFI mustang F's up and I spend a day tracing wires and checking sensors...Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Phone Pictures 1108.JPG 
Views:	11 
Size:	1.36 MB 
ID:	253635

--
    My brother's 2018 Rubicon shuts off at a stoplight and then restarts when you hit the gas pedal.

Dumbest. Thing. Ever.

I'll bet he needs a new starter in a couple years

Sent from my Z958 using Tapatalk

--
    ....merica.......

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	tapatalk_1531777676146.jpeg 
Views:	19 
Size:	50.8 KB 
ID:	253636

--
    I have never seen a transmission come out of a Tundra. All companies have issues.

I guess I am bias. I am a Toyota guy. The 5.7 is a good strong engine.
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

'83 200X

Chicks love guys that ride trikes

--
    I hate new trucks, designed to fail. I recently got promoted and they told me I wasn't allowed to use my 86 f-350 cc as my work truck. So I buy a '12 super droopy. Great power, 6.2 gas piss poor mileage, big carbed fully de smogged 460 was getting 11 towing. The rear suspension is a flat out joke! 3 springs! 2 full and a little guy. My 94 150 with a straight six huals more and squats less. Manny Van's is what these new trucks are. 1/2 tons, dont think it matters much, other than that shut off BS at lights. Say hello to a new 500$ starter every few years. Stupid. Let the diesels smoke, let the gas guys motors breathe, let the two strokes run! Rant over. For now.

--
    Test drove a chevy today, seemed pretty nice,,,lil driveline noise and hesitation but not bad ( but it only has 18 miles on it ) did not notice the cylinders falling off at 70 but ? Grand total out the door 43 k off to try out a ford tomorrow...wow talk about sick...
    our original 85 we bought new, 2 - 86 police specials
    250r dust runner
    04 Yamaha kodiaK 450 snowbuster ! Brute Force 750 dust collector .
    Bunch of es stuff I been buying for next builds....
    Gone but lives on in my aching body the mighty 350x collection . A Beat 85 es im gonna rebuild

--
    Stoped and looked at a Tundra today. Didn't stay long when I saw the 5.7 engine getting 14-17 mpg wow
    our original 85 we bought new, 2 - 86 police specials
    250r dust runner
    04 Yamaha kodiaK 450 snowbuster ! Brute Force 750 dust collector .
    Bunch of es stuff I been buying for next builds....
    Gone but lives on in my aching body the mighty 350x collection . A Beat 85 es im gonna rebuild

--
    Like Mosh says, the new stuff isn’t made to last. I had my 1982 Chevy till 2003, my 1989 GM till 2007, my 1997 F150 till 2011 and my 2007 Avalanche till 2014 when it saved my life, but I sold my 2013 soon after the warranty ended and I’ll sell my 2017 before it does. Way to much invested into it to risk having to change a motor or transmission.

I got back 62% of what I paid for my 2013 after 4 years of use and all it cost me was some oil changes. I would not want to try and get 10 or 15 years out of one of these newer trucks as it would probably cost a lot of money and at the 10 year mark you would be lucky to get 10% of what you paid for it even if it was running good.

Plus it’s nice to have something that doesn’t have dents, or scratches and smells nice for a while.

Name:	8F3EAB38-70D7-4606-8B80-0300781D157E.jpeg 
Views:	18 
Size:	772.1 KB 
ID:	253639
    Last edited by El Camexican; 07-17-2018 at 12:45 AM.
    It sucks to get old

--
    Quote Originally Posted by glamy View Post
    The truth hurts ..........but there`s gonna be a whole lot of truths and pain in this Country ! .........oh the reason a truck is $35k - $65 is because your money is turning into arse-wipe ......
    Get some new rims, you’ll feel better.

Name:	D0A32F09-AAA3-4682-9E86-5F36243FBD82.jpeg 
Views:	13 
Size:	87.8 KB 
ID:	253640
    It sucks to get old

//ArrowChat Integreation Code //