//ArrowChat Code
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Thread: New truck suggestions

Arky-X is offline Just Too Addicted Arm chair racerJust too addicted
    --
    Good post going here. Lots of reaffirmations of what I've heard all my life on some brands and the view that all we have to choose from today is $50k disposable vehicles.

Not too loyal to any brand but last 3 have been Chevys and have had no major issues.

Current is a 2007 Chevy which has the 5.3 and 45k miles but that mileage will increase quickly since both the kids are now 16+ years so my daily driver is often taken. I put the Volant intake, Borla exhaust, vette servo, and had an "email tune" put in using a Diablo Intune. The tune is probably the best bang for the buck. It has a 91+ octane tune and the TCM shift points and pressure tuned as well. I'm not going to say it adds tons of HP/TQ but it definitely responds better. It goes when you want it to, no lag when you step on the loud pedal. The shift is not harsh but quick, no slipping. It doesn't really need all this crap that I put on it but I like tinkering.

Vehicles have gotten insanely expensive considering what we are getting. I see price tags of $45-50k for something equivalent to what I have now. Still a 5.3.....and they add a 6 speed for what? 2-3MPG more? Slap on a few buttons that I don't need. Hard to justify these costs.

99 Chevy with the 4.8 prior to that and put 140k miles on it. Only issues were the throttle body would stick closed so you had to tap the pedal hard to get it break free. I would spray cleaner in it an that would cure it for a few more miles. Window regulator also went out which was a pain to replace......probably because I had never done one before.

94 Chevy S-10 with the 4.3 V6 and a 5-speed manual.....put 180k hard miles on this one.......should have kept this one.....bullet proof.

90 Ford Ranger with a 4cyl and a 5-speed. Crap for gas mileage considering it was a 4cyl and ran like a turd but nothing wrong with it mechanically. Drove nice just don't get in a hurry.

And of course, my first true love that I used to haul my 350X around back in high school and college........1976 Ford F-150 Ranger XLT.
    My aunt & uncle bought it new to pull a camping trailer then let it sit in a field for a few years after they sold their trailer. My dad bought it from them and after he upgraded to a F-250, I inherited it. I guess you could say I am owner 2.5. But it sits behind my Mom's house and needs some TLC. Maybe instead of spending $50k on a new one, I will restore that one instead. Ironchop has given me the bug with his post since this one has the 460 and C6 tranny behind it too. I never did have the balls to see where a 460 with 3.00 gears would top out. No 99mph shut offs on these trucks.

The family's business has a Duramax in a Chevy and has a 5.9L Cummins in a Dodge. I used the Dodge once to haul a Trans Am across the Smokey Mountains and it was like nothing behind me. My 2007 Chevy would have made it but I would have been twisting its ears off to get it up some of those hills. They had to have the rear end rebuilt on the Dodge (dually) once at around 100k miles which seemed premature to me especially since the damn thing is made for.......TOWING!!!!! I've heard that about the Cummins.......it's a great engine....too bad it's in a Dodge.

Dad once had the 7.3 PowerStroke as well. That was the first turbo diesel he had and he was sold from that point forward that diesels are to tow and gas burners are to drive. He quit trying to mess with large V8 gas burners to tow. I would like one since mine often has a boat behind it but it is hard to justify the cost.

Haven't tried a Toyota or Nissan but I remember just a few years ago everybody was raving over Toyota's V8 and the power it produced.....but at a cost of 15mpg. Hell, they all seem to get 350-ish HP now and are trying for that 20mpg but they keep getting more complicated and more things are destined to fail.

Dream truck would be a shoebox Chevy with a 350 and 700R4 overdrive. I might even take throttle body injection but that's as advanced as I would go.
    Problem with this idea is around here is these late 70s-87 year models are bringing top dollar.

You only live once so if you see something you like and can afford.....get it!
    Cheers and good luck!

--
    Quote Originally Posted by El Camexican View Post
    Get some new rims, you’ll feel better.

Attachment 253640
    Are those Dick Cepek wheels?

--
    Quote Originally Posted by Arky-X View Post
    Are those Dick Cepek wheels?
    Not sure, but I bet the owner blew a wad on the rubber.
    It sucks to get old

--
    Quote Originally Posted by Shep1970 View Post
    ...loved the old style windows, with the ones u could open and aim the air at yourself (triangular) window vents. Unsure what there called.
    I’ve always heard them called “wing windows.”
    Red Rider's Sand Machine Updated 07/23/14

--
    I've driven a loaded out F150...I haven't towed with it but driven for a few days. Too many bells and whistles I'd agree, AC leather seats auto fold down foot boards, power fold in mirrors great to use but when that servo goes. The EcoBoost motor rocks, pulls strong and fuel mileage seems impressive compared to V8-10. This truck felt lighter but my comparison was an Excursion that held a love hate ownership relationship with. At 54k on the Platinum 150 the window on the passenger side is acting up...switch must be bad. Ford power windows/switches are not good quality IMO. Good luck

--
    Quote Originally Posted by Tri-Z 250 View Post
    I've driven a loaded out F150...I haven't towed with it but driven for a few days. Too many bells and whistles I'd agree, AC leather seats auto fold down foot boards, power fold in mirrors great to use but when that servo goes. The EcoBoost motor rocks, pulls strong and fuel mileage seems impressive compared to V8-10. This truck felt lighter but my comparison was an Excursion that held a love hate ownership relationship with. At 54k on the Platinum 150 the window on the passenger side is acting up...switch must be bad. Ford power windows/switches are not good quality IMO. Good luck
    Funny you mention the power fold mirrors. My 2007 Chevy has those and the driver's side no longer works.
    "But you have an 11 year old truck...."
    I had probably only used that 20 times before it quit and it was out of warranty. Guess I don't miss it much because I've never fixed it and don't care to.
    Another funny "feature" was the heated windshield washer fluid. On days there is frost or ice on my windshield I could press the heated washer fluid button.....it would heat.....then spray the windshield melting the ice. GM said there was a recall because the circuit would overheat and burn up a wire so they tried to fix it. Apparently they still had issues with the circuit burning up so Mr. Goodwrench's solution?......remove that feature and give me $100. You are a $multi-billion$ company and your solution is to say, "F-it....we don't know what to do so remove it."

--
    Quote Originally Posted by Arky-X View Post
    Good post going here. Lots of reaffirmations of what I've heard all my life on some brands and the view that all we have to choose from today is $50k disposable vehicles....
    See, when Obama said 'Cash for Clunkers' everybody took that the wrong way.

He meant bring your cash on down here and buy yourself a brand new clunker.

My brother has a brand new Rubicon he ordered earlier this year. Gorgeous vehicle. I think he said it was $55K. It had about 1K miles on it and we went to a concert. When we went to leave, he stepped up on his rear bumper and his license plate bracket fell out of the bumper. Literally. It's held in by three tabs. No bolts or screws. Push in tabs. Screws are getting way too expensive.

The good news is that with the backup camera feature, you can see your license plate and bracket both laying on the ground before you drive off and leave it behind by accident

Sent from my Z958 using Tapatalk

--
    Quote Originally Posted by dustrunner View Post
    Stoped and looked at a Tundra today. Didn't stay long when I saw the 5.7 engine getting 14-17 mpg wow
    17 is pretty optimistic. I get a bit over 14 in the Tundra. Then again, I only got 17 in my V6 Tacoma. If fuel mileage is a deal breaker, Toyota is not the brand for you.

--
    I've got a 14 Tundra (bought new in Jan. 14) about to roll 85K with zero mechanical issues to date and still on OEM front brakes. Rears replaced at 80K. Only other thing is tires - just got 55K on my latest set with never having an alignment. That should tell you something right there honestly! You literally can not go wrong if you are in the 1/2 ton market. Tundra for the win.
    RIP - Yamahondaman!! You will never be forgotten!
    RIP - Sam Brehm!! Gone but NEVER forgotten!
    RIP - Sandpuppi101 - You will live on in my mind - I miss you friend!

--
    Quote Originally Posted by Rob Canadian View Post
    I have never seen a transmission come out of a Tundra. All companies have issues.

I guess I am bias. I am a Toyota guy. The 5.7 is a good strong engine.
    That's all I've ever owned aside from my 73 GMC at 18 y.o. I had an 88, 94 and now an 03 Toyota Tacoma, got 200K out of all of them.

Next stop = Tundra PRO 5.7 and I'd LOVE to pop in a supercharger!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Shep1970 View Post
    Nice one ironchop- nice lines loved the old style windows, with the ones u could open and aim the air at yourself (triangular) window vents. Unsure what there called. My dad had a similiar one yrs ago- when it rained your feet would get wet (lots of rust holes “big ones”

Shep
    My dad called those "cigarette windows" as that's what his generation used them for
    All our government does is distract us while they steal from us, misspend our tax $ and ruin our country

--
    2018 Amish Truck with trailer 1 horepower.Extended cab,A/C.Four leg drive.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20180717_144804.jpg 
Views:	13 
Size:	2.85 MB 
ID:	253644 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20180717_144736.jpg 
Views:	12 
Size:	1.64 MB 
ID:	253645
    Last edited by atc300r; 07-17-2018 at 06:33 PM.
    250r rules

--
    Quote Originally Posted by atc300r View Post
    2018 Amish Truck with trail 1 horepower.Extended cab,A/C.Four leg drive.Click image for larger version. 

I've seen them in the 2 HP version as well.
    What kind of mileage you get? 20 miles per gallon (of oats)

--
    Quote Originally Posted by atc300r View Post
    2018 Amish Truck with trailer 1 horepower.Extended cab,A/C.Four leg drive.Click image for larger version. 

This was parked at my work today.The guys were across the street at an auction.We gave the horse some water through out the day.
    250r rules

--
    Click image for larger version. 

Views:	5 
ID:	253646 Forget that, those models would never pass todays tough emission standards.

fabiodriven is offline Aspiring romance novel cover model, and the Official 3WW slayer of thieves and swindlers. Catch me if you can
    --
    The little windows that flip open in front of the regular window are most commonly known as "fly windows" or "quarter windows". It's a mystery of epic proportions as to the circumstances surrounding their disappearance.
    85 Tri-Zinger 60
    85 ATC250SX
    86 ATC250SX
    87 ATC250SX
    02 XR650L conversion
    84 ATC 480R

//ArrowChat Integreation Code //