//ArrowChat Code
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: New truck suggestions

--
    If I could find a nice chevy like the one Thornton has I never would have bought “new”——-crank windows/basic under the hood no emissions to pass/inspection ——-this trucks a beauty!!!! Bad pic but u get the idea Click image for larger version. 

Name:	568BDF8A-74A0-4A83-A4EA-C24CA54F43D5.jpg 
Views:	20 
Size:	47.3 KB 
ID:	253621

Shep

--
    I drove a 2014 5.7 ram1500 last summer it was a tad snappier then my built 2004 ram1500 5.7. Very tech inside and im not so tech inspired. They wanted to give me 2k for this for a truck with rust on it while mines rust free. I'm big on 2nd 3rd 4th gen rams. Biggest thing buy what you need. Don't buy more then you need. That's why I don't own a Cummins yet. I hual 1000 lbs of atvs and get 14mpg. I have no use for a new truck other then to say it's new. Mine looks better any way old lol.

I like 2008+ gmc but I'll never buy one.

--
    Quote Originally Posted by Shep1970 View Post
    If I could find a nice chevy like the one Thornton has I never would have bought “new”——-crank windows/basic under the hood no emissions to pass/inspection ——-this trucks a beauty!!!! Bad pic but u get the idea Click image for larger version. 

Name:	568BDF8A-74A0-4A83-A4EA-C24CA54F43D5.jpg 
Views:	20 
Size:	47.3 KB 
ID:	253621

Shep
    He's the guy tht puts up the huge display at Trikefest, correct?? Apparently he helps kids and they restore the trikes he has, they are SUPER NICE!!

It's funny that you mention what you did, my dad went to buy a truck 10 years ago and they said "EFI, power this and power that" and my dad said, "how much are you taking off for all that chit that will break??!!" and the salesman didn't understand. So, dad says, "I have to fix all that crap!! I want a crank down window and a carburetor!! You need to deduct a couple thousand..."

I've seen super nice K20's fetch about 10 grand at auction many times. They're just so simple and reliable...
    All our government does is distract us while they steal from us, misspend our tax $ and ruin our country

--
    Oh I tried —- I could of gotten a stripped down no power options truck “BUT” it would have been a special order up to 6-8 month wait and “salesman said would have cost me more” because it wouldn’t have gotten the price breaks that I had gotten.
    One of these days I’ll take this truck with an empty car hauler out south/west and grab a rust free 80’s chevy and fill it with cheap 80’s “toys” to bring back to mass

Shep

Not sure if he’s the same guy w/ nice display at tf // don’t think it is- could be though
    Last edited by Shep1970; 07-15-2018 at 06:42 PM.

--
    I hate car payments and the price of a new pickup truck these days is ridiculous.

I like manual trans, carbureted, Big Block V8, vinyl floor so you can clean it easier.
    No computers, minimal electronics, no fuel injection, manual trans, four vacuum hoses, a GM HEI one wire distributor adapted to a Ford 460 base for reliability, no oxygen sensors....... AC, and a good stereo is all I need.

old stuff is so easy to work on and less expensive to fix when they have trouble

That old blue Chevy up there is sweet. I'm not a brand loyalist. I just like any truck from that era

This one is getting a fresh 460 this fall

Sent from my Z958 using Tapatalk

--
    Nice one ironchop- nice lines loved the old style windows, with the ones u could open and aim the air at yourself (triangular) window vents. Unsure what there called. My dad had a similiar one yrs ago- when it rained your feet would get wet (lots of rust holes “big ones”

Shep

--
    We always called them " side window vent's " ...man I loved them in a 76 chevy we had... I am with ya on all the b.s. electronics but the ole lady wants to ride in a nice new truck so I don't know...
    our original 85 we bought new, 2 - 86 police specials
    250r dust runner
    04 Yamaha kodiaK 450 snowbuster ! Brute Force 750 dust collector .
    Bunch of es stuff I been buying for next builds....
    Gone but lives on in my aching body the mighty 350x collection . A Beat 85 es im gonna rebuild

--
    Quote Originally Posted by glamy View Post
    I can`t stand Dogg , Fart and Shitty ......5.7 Yoda bring on da hate
    They seem to have fallen way behind on the full size truck line. Dead last in the reviews if I’m not mistaken.
    It sucks to get old

--
    You`re mistaken .........who reads that suff anyway .........best quote from Car & Driver - "the Chevy has Fisher Price styling"
    The Toyota was a great truck.... 11 years ago. Time to move on, sell your 250R and get a Rascal eh.
    It sucks to get old

--
    Hey Ironchop, i have a FI 460 with a 2wd 5 speed behind it if that's something you fancy. It's in a Ford superduty, back when superduty actually meant something, not just a catch phrase. I have the whole truck, bought it years ago and still haven't picked it up.
    Looking for a Bassani silencer for a 2nd gen tecate, the style with the movable mount. 1st gen will work

--
    Quote Originally Posted by dustrunner View Post
    I plan on keeping it till it's scrap. what can I expect in to replace ? My 05 2wd eats front wheel bearings, had a u joint go bad @ 40 k, cd player quit @ 72k, heater quit @ 83k. But this 4x4 stuff scares me ..
    Fear of what would need to be replaced one day is what made me trade for a new one with just under 60,000 miles.

Standard warrantee in 2013 down here was 2 years or 36,000 miles. I bought another year and 14,000 miles and when it ran out the drive train was getting a little loose, but nowhere near as bad as my Avalanche was at about the same point in its life. I just don’t have the time to mess with repairs at this point in my life. When the phone rings I have go, so a new truck it was.

This one came with a 3 year, 50,000 mile warrantee and they offered 2 more years or 70,000 miles for an additional $700 bucks, so I’ll probably keep it for at least 5 or 6 years, trade it in for half what I paid and get another.

Biggest fear if I kept it for longer would be the transmission going. Probably have to buy a refurbished GM unit for 3 or 4K. As far as the 4X4 goes I don’t use it much, but on my Avalanche I had to replace a front hub at 45,000 miles. Was able to do it myself for under $100 bucks. Depending on road conditions you can expect to do ball joints and shocks as early as 40,000 miles, but my 2013 was still tight when I let it go. The new one came from the factory wth Ranchos.

Do your own math, but I figure it’s cheaper to replace them while they’re still worth a good buck on the open market. If you wait more than 10 years they can’t be financed by the next owner and the value plummets. If I had the time to keep up with repairs I’d get a pre FI truck and just keep it going. My 1982 Chevy had over 500,000 km on it and was minty when it sold.
    It sucks to get old

--
    A trans rebuild is like $2500 most trans shops. I had a rear dif upgraded and built cost $1000. My buddy spent $25000 he didn't have rather then $2500 to fix his trans. I love ppl who justify a new auto basied off a wear item that costs 10x cheaper to fix. Then never change trans fluid anyway lol.

Sounds like your scared to own a fulldixe 4x4 do go get a subaru.

--
    Quote Originally Posted by 86T3 View Post
    Hey Ironchop, i have a FI 460 with a 2wd 5 speed behind it if that's something you fancy. It's in a Ford superduty, back when superduty actually meant something, not just a catch phrase. I have the whole truck, bought it years ago and still haven't picked it up.
    Yeah that was the last of the greats

Thanks but I already bought a second 460 out of an early 70s passenger car to have machined and pretty much everything else aftermarket. The block and crank are the only thing I'm keeping. I have a whole new edelbrock intake, ferea valves, edelbrock springs & hardware, lightly ported aluminum heads, new pistons & rods, cam, crane roller rockers, and a Quick Fuel Slayer 750. (Holley). I can fix most of the issues of these motors blindfolded in a thunderstorm with a small box of tools on the side of the road and that's the attraction.

I'm sure the FI gets better mpg than my carbureted. I think I averaged 9/12mpg town/hwy with 18 mpg hwy being my all time best on a road trip mostly downhill. My 79 is factory AC too so that robs a little as well

I'll keep you in mind though

Sent from my Z958 using Tapatalk
    Last edited by ironchop; 07-16-2018 at 12:44 PM.

--
    I'd agree with glamy... I have a 2011 Tacoma so I'd go with another Toyota either a Tacoma or Tundra. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Truck.jpeg 
Views:	8 
Size:	1.05 MB 
ID:	253624Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Resized_20180616_162922_4915.jpeg 
Views:	8 
Size:	885.7 KB 
ID:	253625Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Resized_20180616_163052_2984.jpeg 
Views:	7 
Size:	1.09 MB 
ID:	253626Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Resized_20180616_163116_3968.jpeg 
Views:	7 
Size:	1.15 MB 
ID:	253627

--
    Luckily, I speak Glamese. Please allow me to interpret.

I can`t stand Dogg , Fart and Shitty ......5.7 Yoda bring on da hate
    Would you consider a Toyota Tundra? They are available with a powerful 5.7 litre engine and are built right here in the U.S. of A.

//ArrowChat Integreation Code //