//ArrowChat Code

Thread: 350x decompression problem

DDQ is offline At The Back Of The Pack Arm chair racerAt the back of the pack
    --

350x decompression problem

I just got done setting the valve clearance and decompression clearance but my 350x is still very hard to start. It looks like the lower decomp lever is barely moving at all and it is not moving enough to pull on the upper lever.
    I pulled the cover and the decompression arm looks fine. What could be causing this?

https://youtu.be/G4mnJ3LD_IQ

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

--
    The dot on the cam is lined up with the dot on the shaft.

--
    Stretched cable? Correct cable?

--
    No, I've never seen a cable stretch and he's saying he doesn't see shaft movement.

BUT, what have I seen?? I've seen people install either the kicker shaft itself incorrectly or the decompression piece splines smashed over the wrong spot on the shaft as well. It can be done, I've seen it...

So, 1st off, make sure the shaft is correct and from what you said, it is correct. So, next is the decompression cam, is THAT dot in the correct spot?? Like I said, I have seen it done incorrectly a few times and I recall you having some kicker shaft issues awhile back.

That decomp cam will only slide over the kicker shaft SMOOTHLY if it's in the right spot. With the cover removed, that cam should press up against the spring and bounce back and forth with your fingers, or it is installed wrong.

If ALL of that is correct, the only other issue is the freeplay at TDC on the compression stroke. Honda calls for a VERY ODD 1/14th of an inch. I usually call it 1/16th and it works great.

Go over all your stuff, and make sure your at the right point to adjust that "1/14th" and you'll be fine. There are no other possibilities...
    All our government does is distract us while they steal from us, misspend our tax $ and ruin our country

AMK is offline At The Back Of The Pack Arm chair racerFirst time rider
    --
    The end of the finger is worn and mushroomed.
    Alan

1985 350x
    1984 200es Big Red
    1985 200s (little red)
    1986 200x saga
    2) 1985 350x projects
    And a slew of others to hold my attention

--
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirtcrasher View Post
    No, I've never seen a cable stretch and he's saying he doesn't see shaft movement.

BUT, what have I seen?? I've seen people install either the kicker shaft itself incorrectly or the decompression piece splines smashed over the wrong spot on the shaft as well. It can be done, I've seen it...

So, 1st off, make sure the shaft is correct and from what you said, it is correct. So, next is the decompression cam, is THAT dot in the correct spot?? Like I said, I have seen it done incorrectly a few times and I recall you having some kicker shaft issues awhile back.

That decomp cam will only slide over the kicker shaft SMOOTHLY if it's in the right spot. With the cover removed, that cam should press up against the spring and bounce back and forth with your fingers, or it is installed wrong.

If ALL of that is correct, the only other issue is the freeplay at TDC on the compression stroke. Honda calls for a VERY ODD 1/14th of an inch. I usually call it 1/16th and it works great.

Go over all your stuff, and make sure your at the right point to adjust that "1/14th" and you'll be fine. There are no other possibilities...
    Thank you. I will check out everything again. The manual does not say how much travel the lower decompression cable arm is supposed to have when the kick lever is pushed. Can you give me an estimate of what I SHOULD be seeing?

--
    https://youtu.be/prpiNiFNqOs

The cam is sliding back and forth on the shaft as it should with the punch marks lined up. The problem has got to be here somewhere though unless the cable is stretched. With the cable unhooked from the arm on the head cover the cable will not pull through the sheath at all when the kick lever is pushed.

--
    I ordered a new cable and used lower cam finger on ebay last night. I hope one of those things will help.

--
    The issue has been fixed. All it needed was a new cable.

Arky-X is offline Just Too Addicted Arm chair racerJust too addicted
    --
    Good to hear!
    I was following this one but had nothing to offer. As far as I've went inside an engine is replacing a clutch kit.

//ArrowChat Integreation Code //