//ArrowChat Code

Thread: New here, Yamaha 200 three wheeler

--

New here, Yamaha 200 three wheeler

Hey guys, so I'm new here but not new to this three wheeler. It was a toy we had at the farm while I was growing up up until my grandfather passed away 12 years back. So it hasn't been started or touched since then. I got it running for a while last week, but couldn't drive it around. The tires are totally shot. Long story short, my uncle and I are wanting to restore it for another fun toy on the farm that we don't mind getting dirty. If yall can help out it will be greatly appreciated!
    We ordered some tires (Kenda k290 scorpions, 22x11-00-8) these are the same size my grandpa had across all 3 wheels, so figured a direct replacement would be the best bet; not too sure on the brand, but just wanted something cheap to get us started and make sure it was running well before dishing out the big bucks. I got the fuel tank cleaned out, and the carb cleaned to the best of my ability. New resizable air filter is on its way and so are spark plugs (champion ra8hc, ngk 2887) once again, what my grandpa had on there so direct replacement seemed like the best bet. If you know of a better/proper spark plug and appropriate gap please let me know. Once I had it running and shut off I couldn't get it started again, gas was good, spark was there but seemed weak and air should be fine, had no filter on. The one issue I really am having is the proper carb for it. Currently there's a Mikuni on it, I'll post all the pictures I have of it. If any of you know which it is exactly so we can replace it, or the right carb for this trike please please please let me know. This one is so gunked up and replacing them seems cheaper than often having them cleaned and rebuilt. We didn't have calipers to measure it properly, just a mm ruler, but we got roughly 25 40 on each side of the carb.

Thanks for the help

Bonus 4 second video of it running after sitting for 12+ years
    https://youtu.be/R0sZUhE3msw

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0562.JPG 
Views:	58 
Size:	1.86 MB 
ID:	253714Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0563.JPG 
Views:	49 
Size:	1.75 MB 
ID:	253715Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0564.JPG 
Views:	59 
Size:	1.95 MB 
ID:	253716Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0565.JPG 
Views:	51 
Size:	2.05 MB 
ID:	253717Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0566.JPG 
Views:	60 
Size:	1.76 MB 
ID:	253718

ATCKevin is offline At The Back Of The Pack Arm chair racerFirst time rider
    --
    As far as a spark plug goes, stick with an NGK. Should be a DR7EA plug for that machine. Good thing about those Yamaha's is that they have a plastic fuel tank. Big sigh of relief when it had sat for so long and you don't have to worry about the tank being rotted out. The mikuni should be OEM on that machine and I would keep it that way. Order a Shindy carburetor kit for it and go through it. Cheap and easy fix. The YTM200 is the machine that made me catch the three wheeler fever back in 2005. Very fun machines! Have fun getting it running again, I love that stuff. Here's my old 200
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1918722_1233416990150_4839324_n.jpg 
Views:	68 
Size:	55.9 KB 
ID:	253736

--
    Don't use the cheap replacement carbs. They are junk for the most part.

--
    something to watch out for with the mikuni carbs like that is that they have an o-ring on the float needle seat that wears out over time replace that for sure and always turn your fuel off when not using it. simply because it is a safety measure and because if that o-ring I just talked about fails you can fill your crank case full of fuel. I have seen it many times over and not just on the older machines but new as well had a 2004 ttr125 that it failed and filled crank case with gas.
    rectum nothin damn near killed them
    feel free to leave feed back for me here. http://www.3wheelerworld.com/showthr...06#post1119306

--
    The mini tire changer from harbor freight tools works great it’s for rims 12 inches and smaller. I had some 4x4 post cut offs (probably 2 foot long or less) notched them in the center to make a plus / an x, globbed the middle with liquid nails and screwed it together, then lag bolted the mini tire changer base to the assembled 4x4 post x / plus shape base. I guess you could bolt it to anything really like a extra sturdy table or work bench but I like it to be sort of mobile so I can just put it in corner when not in use, and i found it easy to use when on the ground. You just need the mini tire changer, a compressor with tire inflator, some silicone spray lubricant (rubber safe) some people say soapy water but I’ve heard it dries up to a powder that is undesirable, 100% silicone spray can lubricant worked great for me, I used it for changing both front tires on one of my lawn tractors. I find lots of the stuff from HF to be junky but the mini tire changer worked great for me, and the silicone spray is a must.

Just an idea since you have 3 tires to do, i think the room was about 40 bucks, so depending on how much places charge to mount tires near you it might be worth it, I’ve had all kinds of experiences, 10 dollars, 20 dollars, hourly rate, or “we don’t do small tires”

--
    Oh sorry I forgot to mention.

Valve stems, you probably knew anyway, but you’re going to want to change them, since they’re probably as old as the tires, I just grab anywhere on the old one with needle nose pliers and leverage against the rim pulling the valve stem up until it rips in half and the bigger circle falls out the back.

Then you buy some new ones, TSC has two sizes, for me it was the smaller of the two I think they had like .4 and .6 or something.

Be sure to put the new valve stem in before mounting the new tire

It might be ok to leave the cap on and grab it with the needle nose to get it to seat into the hole in the rim, personally I grip below the metal thread of the new valve stem and pull until it’s seated

Then mount the tire with plenty of silicone spray and you’re good as new!

--
    So to post so much, but I just wanted to add that kenda is a good brand for tires, same brand I got for my tractor, I’ll try to ease off now unless I have anything else helpful to say

--
    You could let us know how you use it. Also tell us what kind of adventures you have with it.

//ArrowChat Integreation Code //