//ArrowChat Code

Thread: 1985 Honda 200s - performance upgrades?

--

1985 Honda 200s - performance upgrades?

New to the site. Excited to have access to so much info! Currently I have a 1984 Honda 200m and a 1985 Honda 200s. Both run great and I've literally been sucked into the 3 wheeler world. (No pun intended) These are so much fun to drive! Quick question that I haven't been able to get info on.

For my 200s... If I wanted to get some more power out of the motor what would be suggested? I'm looking for some real feedback on bolt on parts and also how well they worked. I'm also looking long term... I might want to change the piston, etc,etc. How many people have upgraded engine parts on their 200 and does it make a huge difference? I'm just looking to start researching my future plan so I can start purchasing parts, etc.

Thanks,
    Mike (Fratolicious)

--
    Wooooow Hold on!!! Boss, let's think for just a moment and look at this for just 1sec. My friend just over last weekend the largest Class at the National was the Stock 200Hardtail for entries. It was the most matched class in the Mains front to back. Lots of battling up front middle and from behind, all in tow one after the other. So do you really need to Mod the motor/intake to compete at a National Race, no. You can and need to mod the setup a bit lower it with tires and rims, extended hubs are a must. Not much else other than gearing and tuning, making look Race. ATCTim and Josh just had a post on their builds and ran an Epic Final Race of the day and was a crowd favorite. Sept 15-16 Ashtabula Ohio will hold the Last National where you could very well run, if you wanna make the trip. Well worth the experance

Check this post :http://www.3wheelerworld.com/showthr...49#post1475949
    Last edited by Tri-Z 250; 07-26-2018 at 12:30 PM.

--
    Thanks for the reply but I'm not a racer nor will I be racing my machines. Although I'm not going to tear into anything quite yet, I just wanted some feedback on any known improvements to make. I'm really just looking for a little more grunt. If my machines get to a point of needing engine work I was curious how well the 200's react to upgrades to the motor. Not sure where you got the racing part from. Thanks just the same.

--
    Anyone have any tried and true bolts ons? I'm a trail rider and not going to be racing. Just looking to get a little more grunt out of my 200s. Any suggestions?
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    '84 Honda 200x ATC
    '84 Honda 200m ATC
    '85 Honda 200s ATC
    '85 Honda 125m ATC

--
    For bolt ons, first go with an upgraded exhaust and intake (even just removing your air box lid). Without better air flow, you'll never see much out of any other modifications. Next, you could go with a bigger cam. Not a bolt on, but if you want to keep everything else stock, you could still get a decent bump in performance by going with a higher compression piston. You can try a larger carb, like one off of a 200X. For any air flow improvement you make, you'll have to jet accordingly. If you go too high on compression, you will have problems with the pull start like a breaking pull rope. If you get too much power out of your engine, you can over power your centrifugal clutch, causing it to slip. Hope this helps.

--
    Thanks for all the info! Very much appreciated!
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    '84 Honda 200x ATC
    '84 Honda 200m ATC
    '85 Honda 200s ATC
    '85 Honda 125m ATC

--
    Bigger carb and bigger exhaust. These are both direct bolt ons and will improve power. A chinese 28 - 30 mm carb can be had for cheap in the ebay. the exhaust - you might have to hunt for but there are tons of companies that made aftermarket better flowing exhausts for these in the 1980s. Look for Bassani, DG, or Kerker as they are the 3 most common. Again - all direct bolt on mods.

In all seriousness, you will only get a slight gain by doing this. To "Hop Up" the motor, you are gonna have to pay the piper for internal motor mods. Just a heads up. Have fun and keep on hardtailing!
    RIP - Yamahondaman!! You will never be forgotten!
    RIP - Sam Brehm!! Gone but NEVER forgotten!
    RIP - Sandpuppi101 - You will live on in my mind - I miss you friend!

--
    Quote Originally Posted by atctim View Post
    Bigger carb and bigger exhaust. These are both direct bolt ons and will improve power. A chinese 28 - 30 mm carb can be had for cheap in the ebay. the exhaust - you might have to hunt for but there are tons of companies that made aftermarket better flowing exhausts for these in the 1980s. Look for Bassani, DG, or Kerker as they are the 3 most common. Again - all direct bolt on mods.

In all seriousness, you will only get a slight gain by doing this. To "Hop Up" the motor, you are gonna have to pay the piper for internal motor mods. Just a heads up. Have fun and keep on hardtailing!
    Thanks for the additional info. Pretty much what I've read and thought, just didn't want to overlook things. Thanks again!
    '84 Honda 200x ATC
    '84 Honda 200m ATC
    '85 Honda 200s ATC
    '85 Honda 125m ATC

--
    My 1984 200S was a great intro for me to three wheeling. I rode her hard and put her away wet. She was always ready for another ride when I got her out again. It needed a piston/ring job for a while but I never did it. I just changed the plug a lot because they fouled quickly. Great fun, I just got tired of the hard tail. The recommendations suggested are good ones. Carb & exhaust upgrades will help.

--
    Where can I find info and rules and specs for the 200 hard tail class at astubula???

--
    I found this thread as I am in the same boat. Where do I find old performance parts? I did watch a vid on yt that mentioned the TRX400ex hubs are a direct fit to the 200s axles. That will give me an easy way to widen the rear track and run some aluminum wheels that may be easier to find. Anything to lighten it a little and maybe add a carb and pipe and this will be a fun bike to ride around the yard.

--
    If you just want a yard machine and aren't riding a lot of long distances on roads and such, then just go with a larger rear sprocket. That alone wil improve acceleration more for the money than any other bolt-on part. It'll just reduce top speed.
    The story of three wheels and a man...

--
    Thanks, man! Do you know a size to try and where to find one?

--
    If your 200S still has the chain cover, I'm not certain what over the stock size will fit without rubbing. Anything larger than stock and you may have to remove it.

I don't recomend a smaller front sprocket because the 200S already has a small one and anything smaller accelerates chain wear.

For the rear, choosing one at least three teeth larger will make a difference. What top speed you are willing to accept will determine how large of a rear sprocket you should choose.

Gearing Comander is a calculator you can use to determine that. https://www.gearingcommander.com/

For the ATC200S, you may have to manually insert all the gear ratios. If you need the numbers, sites like Partzilla show the transmission gear teeth count, along with the primary ratio.

Changing the rear sprocket will give more acceleration for the money than anything else you can bolt on. Proper engine mods are costly and if you want to increase the max RPM, it's even more so. Just about any aftermarket exhaust will lower the bottom end torque of the stock engine to gain an insignificant amount of top end. Even then, the currently available aftermarket exhausts aren't really any good other than making it louder. Something like a true reverse cone megaphone are what they need but nobody is making those.
    The story of three wheels and a man...

//ArrowChat Integreation Code //