//ArrowChat Code
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5

Thread: 200ES build

fabiodriven is offline Aspiring romance novel cover model, and the Official 3WW slayer of thieves and swindlers. Catch me if you can
    --
    Shaft drive is a blessing where I ride. Also you're never going to beat it using the machine for utility purposes.
    85 Tri-Zinger 60
    85 ATC250SX
    86 ATC250SX
    87 ATC250SX
    02 XR650L conversion
    84 ATC 480R

wellys88 is offline At The Back Of The Pack Arm chair racerFirst time rider
    --
    Keep an eye on rear end fluid. Seal wears out or o ring on axle can leak . Had that problem with mine caught it just in time was bareley any oil in rear end when I was servicing the trike.

--
    Yep. Already tended to that. Those seals are like trying find honest politicians.
    I was born and raised on Venus & I may be here a while.....

tripledog is offline I could be geriatricdog... at my age Got the holeshot
    --
    This place has the seals. https://www.partsfish.com/oemparts/a...ear-wheel-axle Item# 23 in the illustration.

--
    Quote Originally Posted by Gabriel View Post
    Yep. Already tended to that. Those seals are like trying find honest politicians.
    When I swapped the rear diff in my cousin's 250sx to a good 250es + replaced axle too, we just red RTV'ed it. Not my machine so can't report if it leaked or not, but it has seen a ton of mud for sure and it's not worn out yet.

Shaft drive vs chain is more or less exactly the same transmission wise though, it's just the output shaft that's splined for a drive shaft vs sprocket and shaft drive the shaft has to point towards the rear (90 degree gear set sometimes needed). The rear diff and drive shaft are were the major differences are. I prefer shaft drive for utility use and mudding, less maintenance as long as your seals are good. Chains do not like mud, my 99 warrior went though a lot of them.

It sounds more like you hate sub transmissions more than anything lol.

The theory of the wrong engine parts in it could make sense, but I believe only the ATC200ES and 84 TRX200 had this style of output sub transmission. Basically Honda just took the 200s design and made an adapter where the sprocket goes to make it have hi + low + reverse and make the output shaft drive.

I think I've seen a diagram of the shaft in question though. On the opposite side of the engine, is the neutral indicator pointing the right way for neutral? Not 100% sure but maybe that's the shaft controlling if you can/can't go into reverse. It doesn't show a bolt at the end of it though. Was hoping to see a pic to tell if it was possible to install it 180 out. Not what you want to hear really ,but that's my thinking at this point, the whole shaft 180 out assuming you can't re-clock the end part of it. As I've mentioned in the past, not a ton of experience with the 200 series, so just looking at service manual pics and guessing. Talking about the manuals, the pic below is from the 84 TRX200 manual, I didn't noticed that diagram in the ATC200ES one.

https://i.gyazo.com/4c3507edef8e4174...0acc12c1e0.png

//ArrowChat Integreation Code //