//ArrowChat Code

Thread: I could use some help with my big red drums. Thanks!

--

I could use some help with my big red drums. Thanks!

Hi Guys,

I have a big red and both brake levers are like rocks. They barely move when trying to pull them in.
    And if you do try to pull hard on the front lever it almost locks the front drum up and you have to use your foot or a and tap the little arm on the front drum forward so it releases.

Where would you guys start?
    Thank you!

--
    Quote Originally Posted by Pryme View Post
    Hi Guys,

I have a big red and both brake levers are like rocks. They barely move when trying to pull them in.
    And if you do try to pull hard on the front lever it almost locks the front drum up and you have to use your foot or a and tap the little arm on the front drum forward so it releases.

Where would you guys start?
    Thank you!
    Start here and download a manual so that you have something to refer to because chances are, you're going to have to do some light disassembly to fix the issue no matter what....

https://threewheelermanuals.com

I would pull off the brake cables from both ends and check for free movement. They should also be lubed as well.

Then I would pull the front wheel and remove the drum backing plate which has the shoes in it, pull the arm and shaft out of the backing plate, clean the shaft, lube with grease, and reinstall...I'll almost guarantee the shaft is rusty. Those seals are only moderately effective keeping the water out especially over long periods of time.

Then you're going to need to pull the rear drum to get at those shoes and the same shaft assembly that will require cleaning and lubing. The rear drum should get a few days of penetrating oil applied at the axle nut and the splines on the axle that the hub slides on. They are notoriously difficult to remove when they've been on since new and the machine saw a lot of creeks or mud in it's lifetime. Make sure to put Anti-sieze on the axle nuts and splines, and drum splines when you put it back together

Unfortunately, it's not something that spraying penetrating oil from outside the assembly will easily fix in my experiences. I've tried but I always end up taking them apart to fix right or else I had sticky levers and pedals no matter what i tried to get around taking it apart

Sent from my Z958 using Tapatalk

--
    Quote Originally Posted by ironchop View Post
    Start here and download a manual so that you have something to refer to because chances are, you're going to have to do some light disassembly to fix the issue no matter what....

https://threewheelermanuals.com

I would pull off the brake cables from both ends and check for free movement. They should also be lubed as well.

Then I would pull the front wheel and remove the drum backing plate which has the shoes in it, pull the arm and shaft out of the backing plate, clean the shaft, lube with grease, and reinstall...I'll almost guarantee the shaft is rusty. Those seals are only moderately effective keeping the water out especially over long periods of time.

Then you're going to need to pull the rear drum to get at those shoes and the same shaft assembly that will require cleaning and lubing. The rear drum should get a few days of penetrating oil applied at the axle nut and the splines on the axle that the hub slides on. They are notoriously difficult to remove when they've been on since new and the machine saw a lot of creeks or mud in it's lifetime. Make sure to put Anti-sieze on the axle nuts and splines, and drum splines when you put it back together

Unfortunately, it's not something that spraying penetrating oil from outside the assembly will easily fix in my experiences. I've tried but I always end up taking them apart to fix right or else I had sticky levers and pedals no matter what i tried to get around taking it apart

Thank you for your detailed reply.

Yeah, I tried removing the rear drum a few years ago and its wouldn't come off but I didnt use PB blaster or anything so I will do what you recommend. I just basically use no brakes. It coasts down pretty quick.

Today I gave her some love by doing a lil change, cleaned and oiled filter, adjusted and lubed chain, adjusted cam chain, adjusted clutch, and put a new plug in.

Does honda still sell brake shoes for the big red? What about other parts?

I downloaded the manual for my 3wheeler. Thanks! Do I need to remove the chain and all that to replace the rear shoes?

Thanks
    Last edited by Pryme; 09-09-2018 at 07:15 PM.

--

--
    Yes you can still find some OEM Honda parts thru your dealer sometimes or Babbitt's online or Partzilla. They have good online apps and plenty of part diagrams to help you identify the part number you need. I use Babbitt's a lot. If there are no OEM offerings, there are plenty of aftermarket parts on eBay for your machine.

I don't think you'll have to remove the chain or even the axle but I could be wrong because it's been ten years since I worked on Honda trike rear drum brakes.

Again, consult the manual first in case I told you wrong

Last edited by ironchop; 09-10-2018 at 09:16 AM.

--
    Thanks guys. That pictorial might help even though my 82 is chain driven so I think it might come apart differently but will help as reference.

I will call around to see if any dealer has honda shoes first

//ArrowChat Integreation Code //