//ArrowChat Code
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Anyone else ever change to Boyeson reeds and chase a WOT flutter?

3Z with Fangs! is offline At The Back Of The Pack Arm chair racerFirst time rider
    --

Anyone else ever change to Boyeson reeds and chase a WOT flutter?

So since my rebuild I haven't had a ton of time to ride but basically the Z is 68.5 bore Team Yamaha ported jug and the head has been milled 1mm. Air box is wide open, stock 32vm and I've tried tons of jets and the flutters no matter what main jet is in it. Right now it's a drilled jet but it's the only jet that makes the plug run a nice chocolate color, anything less and the plug runs lean.
    I've checked for vacuum leaks & can't find any, it idles great runs good mid range but as soon as the throttle goes wide open it'll run good for a second or two then goes into the flutter until you lift the throttle. It did not do this pre rebuild, pre porting, pre reeds. Somebody throw me a bone here because I'm losing patience with this junk. Thanks

--
    Are you sure it's not electrical?

Sent from my Z958 using Tapatalk

--
    Yes reeds can cause those symptoms , very simple just try another set of reeds , maybe stock or v-force if available .

I recently chased a problem just like yours , replaced CDI, still fluttered , rebuilt topend still fluttered , reeds looked great and they were boysen and about 6 months old , replaced the whole reeds setup with V-force and the flutter was gone . Crazy !!!!!
    78 atc 90/180cc Dickson Full Suspension
    76 ATC90/180cc Nicholson
    77 atc 90 Dickson Full Suspension
    84 KLT 110/123cc Powroll Racer from 80s
    87 atc 125m stock
    84 atc 200x Curtis Sparks
    84 atc 200x Powroll My race bike from 80's
    83 atc70/108cc Powroll blue Xmas Special
    81 atc185s HP-ATC full suspension

Performance Shop is Open PM me for Service

My Feedback http://www.3wheelerworld.com/showthr...ck+shortline10

--
    I have overtightened new boyesen reeds and warped the metal strip and the tips of the reeds would no longer set flat on the cage and seal at rest.

Sent from my Z958 using Tapatalk

Outlaw #24 is offline At The Back Of The Pack Arm chair racerAt the back of the pack
    --
    All of the porting and head milled, new reeds? How about the pipe, does it have an after market pipe? Even so, with all the work that has been done and you are still running a stock carburetor? It sounds like the poor thing is gassing alright until you pin it, then it can't get enough. Try a bigger Carb, like a 36mm or a 38mm that is the most common size after porting and such. Also when you drilled the jet you lost the lifting curve of the needle! Barrow one from somebody and check it out first.

3Z with Fangs! is offline At The Back Of The Pack Arm chair racerFirst time rider
    --
    Ok, let's see how many of these questions I can answer. Yes brand new reeds, no not overtightened, I even put the stock Reed stops back on. Pipe is a DG (I know, ugh) and yes it's still the stock carb. I drilled the jet because I went up to a 490 jet and it was still lean by the plug read, I didn't want to pop it so this was to try and at least prevent burning it down. I really want to put a 38mm Airstryker on it but I keep reading about flooding issues because of the fuel pump. Guys say use a sled carb but I'm afraid to drop $100 on a used carb that might be a bigger piece of junk then what I have. Additionally I'm not certain which sked to look for. I've seen the Pokaris sleds have a PWK but it looks like they have a strange house coming off the bottom of the bowl? Need a cable, need a Shee thumb throttle, etc. This should all be in one thread stickied somewhere. I did find a thread but it's no longer good as I posted on that thread.

Outlaw #24 is offline At The Back Of The Pack Arm chair racerAt the back of the pack
    --
    39 pwk and the float should shut the fuel off no matter what carb you use. Barrow 1 from someone if you can. Let us know.

--
    Quote Originally Posted by Outlaw #24 View Post
    39 pwk and the float should shut the fuel off no matter what carb you use. Barrow 1 from someone if you can. Let us know.
    One would think so but my understanding is that the fuel pump moves enough fuel to override the needle and seat. I can't refute the idea because I haven't personally experienced it for myself but I have done it with electric fuel pumps on card with the regulator set too high. These little needle/seat assemblies are pretty dainty so I didn't be surprised.

--
    Well hopefully this is the answer to my problems...Click image for larger version. 

Name:	638D28C3-3E6F-47AE-A627-0A6303FF363C.jpg 
Views:	18 
Size:	1.06 MB 
ID:	254548Click image for larger version. 

Name:	25836B70-09F1-4230-BDA0-405EB648D917.jpeg 
Views:	16 
Size:	2.59 MB 
ID:	254549 many thanks to those of you who helped me make this decision and have led me in the direction of getting the right things for this conversion!

--
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	0D9F2265-4B07-47E5-B1C5-150CDB10DDA3.jpeg 
Views:	13 
Size:	2.37 MB 
ID:	254556 mercy! Virgin to whore!

--

Name:	B215DB8B-61BB-48E1-9B1B-DEB19AA8674B.jpeg 
Views:	7 
Size:	2.83 MB 
ID:	254557 word!!!

--
    Alrighty... I've put bigger things in smaller places, I thought this was going to be a challenge lol!Click image for larger version. 

Name:	237898AB-1B2C-4327-A6E4-A3AF76F5E979.jpg 
Views:	9 
Size:	1.26 MB 
ID:	254558 this really don't seem like a huge stretch. I've had to do some custom stuff on throttle bodies for cars. Some boiling water will do a lot but mercy it's hot and it smells and the wife b1tches, some of you married guys know. Lol

--
    Ok boys, unless my junk is really whorish I just shoved this carb in this stock boot with no heat or anything in less than 30 seconds. Some people just aren't trying hard enough apparently. This was easy! like it belongs there. I can't believe that a month ago I bought a boot according to the wrench report (which turned out wrong) and paid $80 for nothing! Guys, learn from my mistake! A TRI-Z boot "WILL" take a 39mm Keihin PWK like it's finding for it!

Name:	3BFCF745-681B-497D-B98D-1F6B72981670.jpeg 
Views:	8 
Size:	2.86 MB 
ID:	254561 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	456CE57F-6EE2-4092-90D8-29C651EF6EF5.jpeg 
Views:	8 
Size:	2.75 MB 
ID:	254562
    Last edited by 3Z with Fangs!; 09-16-2018 at 10:03 AM.

--
    Cool! My stocker fits a 38 PWK, but it’s a fight to get it in.

Glad you didn’t have to pop for the Sprock unit.
    It sucks to get old

--
    No sir, it went right it with little effort. I just left the carb in there and clamped it down. I figured let the boot get used to it being there.

//ArrowChat Integreation Code //