//ArrowChat Code
Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Mailman delivered my new 200x “motor” today

--

Mailman delivered my new 200x “motor” today

This will become a build thread (I have until trikefest next yr to complete)

A plug+play project- I just need to put aside some cash for the costly lithium battery.....
    60v- 1800watt -more torque/2-3 times of a 200x- speed (not sure yet) the controller(brain) for this brushless motor is controlled through an app on an i-phone for setting changes. Should be interesting.

Still waiting on assortment of 530 sprockets that will be turned down to 520.
    I’ve done lots of reading(research) on this, still have more to learn though.
    It’ll be based on the 86/87 200x cuz that’s what I have parts for
    Its for my youngest(14) but I’m first in line......
    I even found a cool electric thumb throttle,
    Anyone feel free to add any thoughts (good or bad)

It’ll come together slow at first/ I think I have the majority of parts for this project put away somewhere.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	8160C607-69A4-41A1-8E59-5F6C7C9AE907.jpeg 
Views:	193 
Size:	2.54 MB 
ID:	254448 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	4D0862AD-79D1-43C6-A35C-F390569F5090.jpeg 
Views:	150 
Size:	2.73 MB 
ID:	254449

Thanks for looking——-

Shep
    Last edited by Shep1970; 09-11-2018 at 10:33 PM. Reason: Spelling

--
    If done right, that will be wicked

No waiting for power. Instant peak power.

Batteries are ALWAYS the real issue with electric. How sweet if you could gut an old tank and store them (or at least some of them) there.

Will it be digitally controlled? Just curious how you would have a speed control otherwise. Top speed potential exceeds sanity. I like it!!!!

What's the max RPM of the motor? Easy to extrapolate top speed; sprocket ratio and tire size.

When complete you should look into a solar panel with a trickle charger setup to mount on top of your garage. Just plug it in when you're done playing.
    I was born and raised on Venus & I may be here a while.....

--
    Quote Originally Posted by Gabriel View Post
    If done right, that will be wicked

No waiting for power. Instant peak power.

Batteries are ALWAYS the real issue with electric. How sweet if you could gut an old tank and store them (or at least some of them) there.

Will it be digitally controlled? Just curious how you would have a speed control otherwise. Top speed potential exceeds sanity. I like it!!!!

What's the max RPM of the motor? Easy to extrapolate top speed; sprocket ratio and tire size.

When complete you should look into a solar panel with a trickle charger setup to mount on top of your garage. Just plug it in when you're done playing.
    As I’ve read- i want to run 20” rears- this motor has a 5:1 ratio, runs at or near 3000rpm but the reducer for torque brings it down to 600 ish- but 2-3 times the torque of a 200x engine-

So I’ve some sprocket/gearing to sort out —— May not be fast this time around(but it’ll get to top speed quick) figure I’d learn on this motor (then upgrade) at some point. I’d be happy with a 25-30mph/ not looking for 1/4 mile run times.
    Being a brushless motor I’ve read it can be over volted by 20-30% and be fine.
    Its a China motor so spec pages have all been different- I’ll have to see how it goes for myself.

Aiming for a two hour run time/ 6-7 hour full charge time- is the reason for this motor///also (larger motor=more power needed=bigger battery pack=lots more $$$
    Still need to keep my son safe..........most importantly

Gabriel- the gas tank will most likely be plastic/ 86/87 tank w/no filler hole/ still working on it( electronics inside) you’ll see
    Oh the battery pack is roughly 10x8x6 inches being lithium there far lighter than reg batts. I’ll find a place for it
    Shep
    Last edited by Shep1970; 09-11-2018 at 06:06 PM.

--
    You know my shop has open doors for you bud... I'd love to help you with this...
    All our government does is distract us while they steal from us, misspend our tax $ and ruin our country

--
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirtcrasher View Post
    You know my shop has open doors for you bud... I'd love to help you with this...
    I’m counting on your help(I’ll need it) thankyou.

--
    I wanna ride it when it's done

Sent from my Z958 using Tapatalk

--
    That's friggin cool. I'll definitely be watching this build
    Looking for a Bassani silencer for a 2nd gen tecate, the style with the movable mount. 1st gen will work

--
    I was working on such an idea a while back. I found making mockups with cardboard or cardstock to the exact specs of each component helped to get an idea of placement.

I found that if you place the motor in the front bottom end of the engine spot you should have room for 3 to 4 batteries. There is a battery quick swap system which has quick disconnects that can be mounted to any screw pole battery which will make it easy to swap. If you want you can use the tank to hide all the electrical parts, but it will take some heavy mods.

In addition, I found that to be able to place the motor in the right spot, I would have to put a bearing mount with a dual cog to make things line up.
    Last edited by MattDragontamer; 09-11-2018 at 11:19 PM.

[B]
    1973-74 Honda ATC 70 Chrome Custom

Argo (ODG) Taurus 650, Pacesetter WR-PIII, Commuter 380, TE390, Granger, Sasquatch, John Deere AMT 600, Honda 250es & sx

Trikefest Survivor: 2014, 2015, 2016
    Trikefest Alberta: 2017, 2020

Trikefest 2015 A.K.A MUDFEST
    Coolpool: TURN!
    hoosierlogger: I'M TRY'N TO TURN! (Riding his ALT50)

Arky-X is offline Just Too Addicted Arm chair racerJust too addicted
    --
    I may be saying things you already know......

Lithium Iron Phosphate is a common type used in DIY electric cars. This place has several to pick from;
    https://www.batteryspace.com/LiFePO4...Batteries.aspx

Remember that even with lithium, you shouldn't drain them dead. It reduces the life on them (not as bad as lead acid but still reduces the life.)
    Also have to have some sort of charge controller or battery management system. There isn't a "trickle" charge when it is charged. It must stop charging once within its tolerance voltage.

Depending on the specs on that motor....voltage is speed so if you think you want some top end....up the voltage. Of course that means parallel-ing more batterie$ to get range.
    Most electric motorcycles I see are 72 or 96V. But most of those are 400+ pounds because they are using lead acid and they want 50-70 mph.

If you are going to have a light (12V) on it then you might want a DC/DC converter or run a separate battery just for that.

Good luck! Looks like a fun project......just don't drive it through water.

--
    Cool idea look forward to watching this build.

You should look into a way to run a jackshaft of sorts or have a pulley/sprocket set up somewhere that way you can capture the kinetic energy when riding to run a belt or a chain and hook up to a alternator or some sort of recharging device so you can charge as its in motion.

thats what I would do at least. why waste all the potential energy as only kinetic energy just for fun when you can capture it and recharge as its going. not like it would take any noticeable power from the final ride.

even if you have a seperate battery pack or a capacitor recharging on the bike would suffice. It wouldn't necessarily even have to be recharging the power source of the motor. You then you could also run the circuit in a way to have a toggle to flip to change between power sources on the fly. or simply toggle the capacitor to run the battery if you went that route for your recharge mechanism.

I know thats what I would do for a project like this. Regardless hope it turns out as expected for you and props for a cool idea.

I would likely get a speed controller pressure switch and a crystal operated servo, so you could use a crystal radio style controller with the same MHz frequency as the servo crystal to not be relying on a smartphone for the brains.

just like a remote controlled truck gas or electric and then you could also better waterproof and not have nearly as much of a chance of interference or have such limited ranges.

tower hobbies has all the servos and crystals at pretty good prices and they have some really great ranges anymore 5 km with the right antenna so that is 3.11 miles from the controlling mechanism. and its not expensive at all. to get them ranges.
    Last edited by yamaha_ripper98; 09-12-2018 at 04:47 AM.
    TRIKES
    1983 225 DX
    1984 Tri-Zinger
    1984 200 X
    1985 Big Red
    1985 200 X
    1985 Tri-Z
    1985.5 Tri-Z
    1986 Tri-Z

BIKES
    1978 YZ250
    2010 YZ250F
    2015 WR450F OHIO Street Legal

--
    Quote Originally Posted by Arky-X View Post
    I may be saying things you already know......

Lithium Iron Phosphate is a common type used in DIY electric cars. This place has several to pick from;
    https://www.batteryspace.com/LiFePO4...Batteries.aspx

Remember that even with lithium, you shouldn't drain them dead. It reduces the life on them (not as bad as lead acid but still reduces the life.)
    Also have to have some sort of charge controller or battery management system. There isn't a "trickle" charge when it is charged. It must stop charging once within its tolerance voltage.

Depending on the specs on that motor....voltage is speed so if you think you want some top end....up the voltage. Of course that means parallel-ing more batterie$ to get range.
    Most electric motorcycles I see are 72 or 96V. But most of those are 400+ pounds because they are using lead acid and they want 50-70 mph.

If you are going to have a light (12V) on it then you might want a DC/DC converter or run a separate battery just for that.

Good luck! Looks like a fun project......just don't drive it through water.
    Thanks for the battery link/ to rich for my blood on that site though, I’m just going with an eBay 60v 30ah or 40ah / maybe the 72v though so I have more options with power- it will be my last purchase/ I’m still figuring that out.
    I guess the lithium batteries-motor controller and charger have over/under charging protection built in. I’ve read these batteries can explode so it’s good to have 3-way protection.....Click image for larger version. 

Name:	F612604B-9502-4F71-B510-965CAB5A5A3F.jpg 
Views:	31 
Size:	52.4 KB 
ID:	254475 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	591A7899-E2AA-48B5-A11D-51545CE5F634.jpeg 
Views:	26 
Size:	633.0 KB 
ID:	254476. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	4A7D9CEA-1B6A-494C-B680-9797F30D80C7.jpg 
Views:	28 
Size:	71.5 KB 
ID:	254477 battery (30lbs)

So far-bare frame+tripple 33 lbs
    Elec Motor 28 lbs. the stock 86/87 engine weighs 96 lbs (wet) gotta check on that though
    Controller(brains to run brushless motor 26 lbs (edit) ((I was wrong it’s only 2 lbs)) very light
    Battery 30 lbs
    Swinger+axle+hubs 53 lbs

Yammy ripper- theres supposedly a regenerative braking charge system- can can be turned off/on. May be used for lights/ I need to read more about it.
    I was at first thinking abou a belt drive but a chain won because It’d be easier.

I’ll put motor very roughly in the frame later today/ see how she fits.
    Shep
    Last edited by Shep1970; 11-15-2018 at 03:01 PM.

Arky-X is offline Just Too Addicted Arm chair racerJust too addicted
    --
    Quote Originally Posted by Shep1970 View Post
    Thanks for the battery link/ to rich for my blood on that site though, I’m just going with an eBay 60v 30ah or 40ah / maybe the 72v though so I have more options with power- it will be my last purchase/ I’m still figuring that out.
    I guess the lithium batteries-motor controller and charger have over/under charging protection built in. I’ve read these batteries can explode so it’s good to have 3-way protection.....Click image for larger version. 

Name:	F612604B-9502-4F71-B510-965CAB5A5A3F.jpg 
Views:	31 
Size:	52.4 KB 
ID:	254475 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	591A7899-E2AA-48B5-A11D-51545CE5F634.jpeg 
Views:	26 
Size:	633.0 KB 
ID:	254476. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	4A7D9CEA-1B6A-494C-B680-9797F30D80C7.jpg 
Views:	28 
Size:	71.5 KB 
ID:	254477 battery (30lbs)

So far-bare frame+tripple 33 lbs
    Elec Motor 28 lbs. the stock 86/87 engine weighs 96 lbs (wet) gotta check on that though
    Controller(brains to run brushless motor 26 lbs
    Battery 30 lbs
    Swinger+axle+hubs 53 lbs

Yammy ripper- theres supposedly a regenerative braking charge system- can can be turned off/on. May be used for lights/ I need to read more about it.
    I was at first thinking abou a belt drive but a chain won because It’d be easier.

I’ll put motor very roughly in the frame later today/ see how she fits.
    Shep
    Looks like that already has a BMS so no need for anything else on the charging side. I've bought smaller lithium cells from eBay and they worked fine on small projects.

Specs show 282lb for a 200X and I know my 350X engine is right at 100lb so 96lb is probably about right for a 200x. Maybe a hair less.
    200X - engine + motor + brains + battery
    282 - 96 + 28 + 26 + 30 = 270lb ........ ish
    Not going to be much difference on stock weight since you are using lithium.

Going to have to make my way to the upcoming Trikefest just to see this thing.
    I was part of our electric/solar boat team in college and had a blast.
    http://solarsplash.com/
    Learned a lot about theory vs real-world on that project.

--
    Quote Originally Posted by Arky-X View Post
    Looks like that already has a BMS so no need for anything else on the charging side. I've bought smaller lithium cells from eBay and they worked fine on small projects.

Specs show 282lb for a 200X and I know my 350X engine is right at 100lb so 96lb is probably about right for a 200x. Maybe a hair less.
    200X - engine + motor + brains + battery
    282 - 96 + 28 + 26 + 30 = 270lb ........ ish
    Not going to be much difference on stock weight since you are using lithium.

Going to have to make my way to the upcoming Trikefest just to see this thing.
    I was part of our electric/solar boat team in college and had a blast.
    http://solarsplash.com/
    Learned a lot about theory vs real-world on that project.
    I figure 3+gallons of fuel weighs 20lbs — roughly 6lbs per gal so that’s one thing on weight loss-
    No exhaust- the stock is pretty heavy unknown weight maybe 25-30lbs
    2-ply maybe Chen Ching knobby or turf tamers / lightest I can find

On my searches - this motor will push 1600kg=3500 lbs ///highly doubt that much though, so hopefully the bike+rider weight will be easy for it.

I’m excited about this project “but” gotta do my homework first/ things add up quickly$
    We’re due for a trikefest with “no” rain or just enough to keep the dust down......
    Shep

--
    The more I ponder this thread the more I REALLY like it. Makes me lament not paying attention in school and getting an education. This is definitely over my head.

Can't wait to see a video of this thing in action. Talk about a sneaky quiet ride.

You're going to be shedding some weight and a LOT of moving parts. Yearly maintenance: few grease fittings and some chain lube.

I'm sure you have already but if not, Check out ZERO brand motorcycles. Norman Reedus does a show called Ride with Norman Reedus. He rode one and that thing was great!
    Here's one beating a 5.0 Mustang in a drag race
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ftVI1AARqMM
    I was born and raised on Venus & I may be here a while.....

--
    Yup Norman reedus— the wife loves that guy- from the walking dead tv show. She’s counting the days until it comes back on.

Shep

//ArrowChat Integreation Code //