//ArrowChat Code

Thread: Recommended service manual, 1985 Honda 200s (not the user manual that came with atc)

--

Recommended service manual, 1985 Honda 200s (not the user manual that came with atc)

Hey folks,

Back for some suggestions. I'm most likely going to get involved in my transmission repair and I'm looking for a service manual that can help me through this process. The more pictures the better!

Thanks,

Mike
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    '84 Honda 200x ATC
    '84 Honda 200m ATC
    '85 Honda 200s ATC
    '85 Honda 125m ATC

--
    Free.... But you can donate a few bucks to the site out of appreciation if you'd like to help out... Or not... but either way free manuals!

https://threewheelermanuals.com

Sent from my Z958 using Tapatalk

--
    Thank you very much!
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    '84 Honda 200x ATC
    '84 Honda 200m ATC
    '85 Honda 200s ATC
    '85 Honda 125m ATC

--
    Ever had one apart before? I haven't until recently. Patience, stupid amount of notes and mark EVERYTHING as you take it apart.
    I was overwhelmed when taking the sub-transmission and transmission apart on my 200ES but after spending time with it, it's not so bad. Lucky you, no sub tranny.

Masking tape and a marker. Label every part, where you got it and what direction it was facing. I have the Honda manual and a Clymer manual and they are FULL of holes and gaps in the information. Also, test fit everything and assemble with no gasket or sealer ( don't tighten the bolts or even seat the dowels) just to prove you have it right. Gently test the shifting to see it work proper. NOTHING worse that assembling everything and finding you did it wrong.

I found a good engine assembly lube and grease the shift drum and forks well makes life much easier. Put the engine in neutral. Make an attempt to KEEP it in the neutral position throughout assembly. I had mine in 5th gear when I assembled and it did NOT play nice on trail assembly. Your mileage may vary.

You'll need three specialty tools. A spanner socket for the clutch basket. A flywheel puller [ Go buy a lug stud for a late model VW automobile. Works PERFECT!] and the most important tool to have in your toolbox....Patience.

Good luck!
    I was born and raised on Venus & I may be here a while.....

--
    If I'm not working specifically on the gear sets, I'll run some zipties thru the holes in the grears if i can so they stay altogether in one assembly when I pull them out, shaft and all, the same time.

When I'm ready to reinstall, I dip the whole assembly in the parts cleaner and swish around real good and use the scrub brush. Blow off the solvent, lube the assembly, and stick them back in the cases. I don't cut off the zip ties until I'm ready to put the case halves back together. Just don't forget to cut them off haha

I always keep my phone handy too and take lots of pics as it comes apart so I have a reference when I put it back together.

--
    That's for all that info guys.Haven't had it apart before. I'm hoping I don't need to take everything out. All gears work fine except I don't believe I'm actually engaging the secondary clutch. I have no spring feel to the shift lever and I think it just click/slams into gears. I've done the simple side adjustment with no real change. Hope that makes sense and maybe you have some insight on this?

Mike
    '84 Honda 200x ATC
    '84 Honda 200m ATC
    '85 Honda 200s ATC
    '85 Honda 125m ATC

--
    You can probably fix that without pulling the motor. For sure without opening the gear box itself.

You can rebuild the clutch pack easily on the trike. I'd also pull the opposite side cover and check the gear shaft spring itself. If one of the ears broke, she be floppy. Even pulling the shifter doesn't require splitting the main case.
    I was born and raised on Venus & I may be here a while.....

--
    Quote Originally Posted by Gabriel View Post
    You can probably fix that without pulling the motor. For sure without opening the gear box itself.

You can rebuild the clutch pack easily on the trike. I'd also pull the opposite side cover and check the gear shaft spring itself. If one of the ears broke, she be floppy. Even pulling the shifter doesn't require splitting the main case.
    Thanks that's good to hear. I'll have to look through the service manual and see how to do that. Is a rebuilt kit for that available and easy to find?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk
    '84 Honda 200x ATC
    '84 Honda 200m ATC
    '85 Honda 200s ATC
    '85 Honda 125m ATC

--
    It's hard to tell if there are any new OEM parts available that haven't been discontinued. You just have to check with factory part suppliers and if that's a bust, copy down the part number and hit eBay. Sometimes I find stuff that way.

There should be used parts available too from someone here in case you find something broken when you open it up and there aren't any factory replacements left

--
    Quote Originally Posted by ironchop View Post
    It's hard to tell if there are any new OEM parts available that haven't been discontinued. You just have to check with factory part suppliers and if that's a bust, copy down the part number and hit eBay. Sometimes I find stuff that way.

There should be used parts available too from someone here in case you find something broken when you open it up and there aren't any factory replacements left

Cool. Thanks!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk
    '84 Honda 200x ATC
    '84 Honda 200m ATC
    '85 Honda 200s ATC
    '85 Honda 125m ATC

//ArrowChat Integreation Code //