//ArrowChat Code

Thread: I got ripped of, ....SO F'kin mad!!!

Leevvii is offline At The Back Of The Pack Arm chair racerFirst time rider
    --

I got ripped of, ....SO F'kin mad!!!

Been slowly restoring the old 200X over last 2 years, finally get everything i need, and was in the process of assembling the motor. I got the jug rebored last year at what i thought was a reputable machine shop, to suit the new 66mm wiseco piston, or so i thought!! In the process of setting the ring gap, and measured the cylinder bore to calculate the gap, only had a vernier to do this, and kept on getting different readings on the bore size, not being the most accurate way to measure a bore, i assumed it was just me, so i took it to another local repairer and he put a bore gauge on it, 0.004" difference between top and bottom, and also out of round in the bore a considerable amount. What the heck did he use, a fricken file to remachine it, SO dang angry i could spit!! So now im up for a next oversize piston set and another rebore, the guy who measured it is very good and does great work, he tells me i could maybe get away with it, as most of the play is side to side, not front to back on the bore, but it will have a knock and there is no guarantee how long it will last in this condition, and he would not risk it, and i agree with him, ......im so damn annoyed about this, what the hell is wrong with people nowadays, they just dont care about pride in their work, or ripping you off. I doubt its worth the expense of trying to challenge this a'hole through legal recourse, so i guess im stuck with the expense of re doing the job. Un be forkin leevable!!
    n

--
    While I understand you are upset I suggest you go back to original machine shop and give them a chance to make good on their work. Mistakes happen and maybe the person doing the cylinder boring no longer works there because he sent out many jobs like yours that ended up being done incorrectly.

Leevvii is offline At The Back Of The Pack Arm chair racerFirst time rider
    --
    yes, your right, and i will take it there and ask the question, but unfortunately he is the owner of the shop, and im doubting i will have much success, due to the timeframe and Australian consumer protection law is a farce, and i cant locate the receipt, so no proof he even did it.
    X barrels are getting as rare as hen's teeth here in Aust and there is no way in hell will i allow them to remachine it. I have contemplated trying to locate an XR 200 barrel, but i would need one that will accept the 66mm piston i already have, and not all XR barrels will fit the X, so its better to get the 66.5 piston i reckon.
    I am an ex fitter/machinist, and trying to figure out how a boring machine can achieve this sort of finish, its not consistently out of round , so even if the machine was badly worn, or he didnt have the barrel set up squarely, you would think it would still cut concentrically, .... how does that explain the out of round issue. Im wondering if he actually bored it at all, possibly just honed it heavily, though thats alot of metal to remove by honing alone [it was a 65.5mm piston before remachining, so i went next oversize with new piston].
    Surely he had to have measured it afterwards, and you would assume he must have known it was a bad job, didnt stop him charging me for it and no mention of the problem was made, so im guessing he's not exactly the honest type ....."just give it to him, he wont know the difference"....perhaps, plenty of tradesman/mechanics around with that sort of attitude as we all know. Even if he does refund me the $100 for machining, im still up for AUD $300 for new piston kit, plus another $100 for rebore, and im strongly doubting that he's gonna help me out with that expense. I wish i could say i have faith that he will, but im doubting i will win in this scenario.
    n

--
    I had a similar situation as you did. My original machinist made good though and completely replaced my cylinder. A simple sanity check of what is going on is checking ring end-gap with a feeler gauge. Mine was at max allowable spec with the ring at the bottom of the cylinder, and then beyond the worn-out limit at the top of the cylinder. It had a major taper.

Anyway, check back with your original guy and at least see what he offers. You never know. If he won't do anything, you are no worse off than you are now AND you can help spread the word to never deal with the guy.
    - Frank

1984 200ES Big Red
    1985 350X (x2)
    1986 350X
    1986 250SX
    1984 Auto-X
    1984 ATC70
    1985 ATC70

--
    I swear, 75% of the people boring cylinders simply cannot do the job correctly...
    All our government does is distract us while they steal from us, misspend our tax $ and ruin our country

//ArrowChat Integreation Code //