//ArrowChat Code

Thread: The " Honda Blast"

--

The " Honda Blast"

With the craze of conversion trikes taking over and everybody either building 450's or trying to make the most oem trike possible I set out to build something a little different. I bought a 1981 250r frame and swing arm for 10$ at a local trike buy sell or trade. I originally was going to use a kdx175 for the build but found them to expensive to purchase for what I wanted to do. I slowly started mocking things together. I went with a 200x front end that I found complete on craigslist for 120$. I had to cut out a small lower front section of the frame neck for the lower tree to be able to swing left and right without drag or resistance. I swiped the neck bearings out of a 1983 big red 200e for the 200x trees. I ditched the 250r rear end because of the sprocket being on the opposite side from any motor I would try and fab into this build. I was originally set up to use a 350x rear end. after finding out that blasters were very cheap to obtain in good running condition I eventually set out to make that my power plant. after buying a nice running blaster for 600$ I decided using the blaster rear end would make the motor install that much "easier" using the blaster rear end since the blaster motor sits in the swing arm. the swing arm fit perfectly into the 250r frame but I did have to custom fabricate my own upper shock mount. I was able to still use the 250r swing arm bolt. Using the blaster rear end I lost quite a bit of overall width than if I were to use the 350x rear end so I found a set of used 400ex hubs which has the same spline count as the blaster axle but added 3 inches of width to the build. even though the spline count was the same the spline thickness were different so I carefully filed down the splines on the hubs until they fir the blaster axle. Along with gaining width I also gained the ability to use wheels and tires from a 350x for the rear. I custom fabricated brackets to mount a ebay caliper on the rear so I could have my own reliable disc brakes out back and threw the stock blaster set up in the trash. I custom fit a ebay rear master cylinder to the frame and used the stock 250r foot brake pedal after some decent modification. also modified a 350x rear brake hose. I had to cut a few pieces out of the frame to clear the blaster exhaust which came with a full fmf set up. I had to fabricate and weld in my own motor mounts to make a home for the blaster motor in the 250r frame. I also had to make a custom shifter to clear the factory 81 250r foot pegs. I opted to use a uni open air filer instead of trying to fabricate a air box set up as this machine was being built to race in a circle. the front fender is from a 85 250r. I had a 81 250r front fender in hand when the build first started but decided against it. the bars are pro taper atv mid bend, features a Honda 200x thumb throttle, 200x factory front brakes with ebay master and lever. Has a tether kill switch instead of factory blaster kill switch and all wiring for lighting was deleted from the harness. fork boots are ebay cheaps left over from a previous build. the gas tank is off of a 185s. the seat and rear fender are off of a 1984 250r. the right side fender needed to but cut so my foot could pass through while kicking. I cut up a old mudflap from a truck and mounted it in the cut out of the fender for a cleaner more dirt protective look. the grab bar is made by prm and was originally for a 350x I have had a decent summer racing this machine on the flat track. it also came with me out to trike fest is haspin acres earlier this year which was a 16 hour drive one way. I am sure I am forgetting stuff so I will keep updating the post. please ask any questions and make comments!!!! thanks for reading!!!!

--
    Thanks for the write up and more pics

I might copy your ideas just a little.

Considering how much aftermarket performance stuff there is for a Blaster platform, I'd say you'll never be disappointed.

Sent from my Z958 using Tapatalk

--
    That is the PERFECT frame for that. I was jamming one in a 2nd gen 200X and EVERYTHING is in the way. Tried a few pipes too...

I called mine a "Hondaster"

Anyhow, looks great!!
    All our government does is distract us while they steal from us, misspend our tax $ and ruin our country

--
    Thanks for sharing your build! There were a few guys using blaster powerplants over on AF.com
    Wish that site would rise from the ashes lots of good tech on the air cooled hondas.....
    Last edited by sledcrazyinCT; 09-20-2018 at 07:37 AM.

3Z with Fangs! is offline At The Back Of The Pack Arm chair racerFirst time rider
    --
    Omg, they're gonna kill you for this but my cousin wants to do this with his 200x. We're Yamaha guys lol

--
    I had a rough summer racing flat track with it pulling off 3rd place in one race out of the entire season. But three weeks agao I got to race at a indoor ice rink in allentown Pennsylvania which was a hike from me in Massachusetts but ended up taking 2nd place out of 8! Just barely beating dave swinger who took 3rd! Not a bad day for the Honda blast against 5 250r's and two 450 hybrids! Pics to follow.

--

--

--

--
    I was trying to do this an 86 250r...it was right but fit. A bad accident send it all away on craigslist. I buy an sell blasters cheap. I'm building one for my daughter now. I had this idea of using an 82 r frame I found local, then I saw your post. Different is what I like to do. I have 450r hubs on her blaster which I had on my 660r and banshee with a little grind. Enjoy your bike!

//ArrowChat Integreation Code //