//ArrowChat Code

Thread: ATC 90 turning issues

bmw1 is offline New to the board Arm chair racerNew to the board
    --

ATC 90 turning issues

When I turn to the left or right on my 73 atc 90 it seems like one of the rear wheels almost locks up. When driving it or pushing it and turning, the front wheel drags or gets pushed. Very wide turns are not a problem. I would estimate I am turning the handle bar approximately 30 degrees from straight ahead either way when the problem occurs. I got this machine for free. It runs well and drives. I have no idea what the PO did with or to it. He did replace the balloon tires with knobbies and split rims. Other than that, not sure what he did.

Any assistance would be appreciated.
    Thanks.

gimmeamidget is offline At The Back Of The Pack Arm chair racerAt the back of the pack
    --
    It may be your brake cable tightening up when you turn one way and not the other. I have seen this with the throttle cable also if not routed correctly the engine revs higher when turning a certain direction

gimmeamidget is offline At The Back Of The Pack Arm chair racerAt the back of the pack
    --
    Also these small machines just feel different and take some getting use to

--
    Thank you, but there is no brake cable on it. Just has the foot pedal brake.

--
    Then I believe your experiencing the normal steering feel of an atc90. They are small and when the front wheel is turned sharp it feels like they bind. I believe the reason for this is one rear tire (the outside tire ) when your making a turn needs to turn much more than the inside tire on same turn causing a bind feel. Also like you stated if you steer the front tire to hard to either side the Atc will push the front tire instead of turning. I have found if you shift more weight by sliding forward on the seat it helps with this. After you ride it for a while you will see there is mor involved with steering an Atc then turning the handle bars.

--
    Quote Originally Posted by bmw1 View Post
    When I turn to the left or right on my 73 atc 90 it seems like one of the rear wheels almost locks up. When driving it or pushing it and turning, the front wheel drags or gets pushed. ....
    Edit: just noticed gimmeamidget posted the same thing before I did and I didn't notice it until I typed out this reply

Sent from my Z958 using Tapatalk
    Last edited by ironchop; 09-17-2018 at 05:18 PM.

--
    So it's normal when pushing it, and turning the steering wheel, for the outside rear wheel to lock or skid until the wheel is straightened back out?

--
    Quote Originally Posted by bmw1 View Post
    So it's normal when pushing it, and turning the steering wheel, for the outside rear wheel to lock or skid until the wheel is straightened back out?
    In your first post you said it momentarily locked or skidded and now it locks completely? Like was said before, the wheel with the least amount of traction or weight on it will skid when turning and will appear to be locking somewhat. But it should never stop turning completely as long as the machine is moving.

If it's locking completely, here's what I think might be going on. Your rear bearings might be shot which is causing the brakes to lock when the trike is tracking off centre; this combined with one or both of you rear hubs are stripped allowing the wheel to turn when in fact the axle is locked. I'm reaching here?
    Last edited by coolpool; 09-23-2018 at 10:58 AM.
    Trikes
    1970/71 US 90 (Aquarius Blue)
    1970/71 US 90 (Future Project)
    1972/73 US 90 Camo Project (110 Big Bore)
    1972/73 US 90 Green
    1977 ATC 90 w/83 110 motor (Fugly)
    1982 ATC 70
    1983 ATC 70 (Ladybug)
    1973 ATC 70

1965 Marketeer 3 Wheel Golf Cart with 1986 Honda 250 drivetrain

TF 2015

Other
    1983 Honda Z50
    1978 Honda XL75

Feedback http://www.3wheelerworld.com/showthr...ck-for-coopool
    http://www.3wheelerworld.com/showthr...k-for-coolpool

--
    On ANY solid axle machine.... When turning, the outside tire travels in a greater are than the inside tire on it's smaller arc. That means that the outside tire is trying to rotate faster than the inside tire and they kinda fight each other because the straight axle wants them to turn at same speed.
    This is why when you turn a trike pushing it in the garage, the tires "squeal" on the concrete floor

Steering push (front end sometimes pushes instead of rolling smoothly in a turn) is also common in trikes

Between the tendency to push the front tire and the back tires fighting each other with the solid axle, you're going to have some resistance. Your body English when you ride helps muscle the rear tires around a turn to help you control the machine easier. Trikes are definitely exercise to ride.

Differential rear-ends were invented to fix this issue with the two different speed tires in a turn.

Sent from my Z958 using Tapatalk

//ArrowChat Integreation Code //