//ArrowChat Code

Thread: TRX450 caliper on 86 R

efhondakid is offline At The Back Of The Pack Arm chair racerFirst time rider
    --

TRX450 caliper on 86 R

So who here has done it? I keep reading conflicting info on other sites, some say it’s a straight bolt with the TRX anchor or redrilling the R anchor. I would like to hear from someone here who has done it and what parts you used to mak it work. After boiling over the old girl at Ashtabula I’m looking for something newer in the stopping department.
    2 in the back, 1 in the front.

Outlaw #24 is offline At The Back Of The Pack Arm chair racerAt the back of the pack
    --
    If you boiled the brake fluid there was a reason it boiled. You may just take the caliper apart and make sure it is floating, or make sure the rotor isn't bent or loose on the hub. Axel Bearing on that side could be going out. Dot 5 is better than Dot 3. Flush the system anyway because it boiled so the fluid is junk now. You might have the lever to far up and you are riding the brake without realizing it, (That's Me). Check it out, you may be shocked at what you find! Not that your unit isn't nice or maintenance regularly, it is probably not the caliper as it isn't that common to boil the fluid in them. Same caliper on 85-89 250R's and other Honda's. Just Sayin

--
    Quote Originally Posted by Outlaw #24 View Post
    ..........Just Sayin
    No issues with any of that stuff. I also flushed it at the track and ran my next race with no issues.

Mainly because I’m switching from the 85 swinger and carrier to the 86 setup. A 250r caliper is $200 and a whole 450 master resi and caliper with hanger is $100. I know it’s been done, I’m just after a solid answer and year of equipment that was used in the swap.

--
    I just went to all TRX450R... you need the trx450r caliper plate holder and cliper and bolts...its a bolt on for 86 250R...if you have 1985 you need to swap to 1986 swinger and carrier. Mines an 85 but I had two sets of 86 rear ends I sold off to buy 450R stuff.

I got all my trx450r stuff for $60.00 and it was off ebay. If you dig around you don't pay premium. remember 450R and 450ER stuff is all the same that your gonna swap. That helps when searching.

--
    Quote Originally Posted by oldskool83 View Post
    I just went to all TRX450R... you need the trx450r caliper plate holder and cliper and bolts...its a bolt on for 86 250R...if you have 1985 you need to swap to 1986 swinger and carrier. Mines an 85 but I had two sets of 86 rear ends I sold off to buy 450R stuff.
    So just the 450 rotor and not the rotor and rotor hub? That was where I was getting conflicting info from another site. Also year range or does it matter?

--
    you don't need the 450R rotor. use the trx/atc250r one and hub for the R axle. year of trx450r/er does not matter. only change on 450r was shorter swinger on 06+ then the addition of ER for estart on 06+

--
    Thank you for the clarification.

//ArrowChat Integreation Code //