//ArrowChat Code
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: 1986 250SX Front Forks

--

1986 250SX Front Forks

Is there any tutorials you can recommend which show how how to replace the fork seals ? I drained out the original oil from 1986 and flushed with Marvel oil drained and refilled with ATF. Has good rebound now but weeps fork oil all down the fork tubes. These are the OEM original seals from 1986. I bought the trike from the original owner and has low mileage on it. I mostly use it around the yard to haul firewood and do some trail riding occasionally.

Greetz to all 3 wheelers and hope you are still riding your ATC's

" My daddy told me those things are sketchy"
    ♠ 58 ♠

▓ ▓
    Ride 3

ctk is offline Just Too Addicted Arm chair racerJust too addicted
    --

--
    I guess you are saying check the service manual ? I have that downloaded already.

thanks for the link chris
    ♠ 58 ♠

▓ ▓
    Ride 3

--
    What part are you having trouble with Andy??
    All our government does is distract us while they steal from us, misspend our tax $ and ruin our country

--
    Hey Steve I did not start in on it yet. Once I got the price to do this and one other minor thing from my local mechanic I was motivated to do it myself.
    ♠ 58 ♠

▓ ▓
    Ride 3

--
    Its not a tough job. The service manual explains it pretty well. You need to remove the damping rod bolt from the very bottom end of the slider (on the end, not the drain plug on the side). Leave the fork tube cap and spring in until you get the damping rod bolt out, it will help keep things from spinning. Then remove the first dust wiper and the snap ring. Then you use the fork tube like a slide and pull the fork seal out.
    - Frank

1984 200ES Big Red
    1985 350X (x2)
    1986 350X
    1986 250SX
    1984 Auto-X
    1984 ATC70
    1985 ATC70

--
    Should I get the Honda fork seals, dust wiper and snap ring or do I keep the existing snap ring ? The original parts have lasted 32 years. I have my doubts about aftermarket parts.
    ♠ 58 ♠

▓ ▓
    Ride 3

ctk is offline Just Too Addicted Arm chair racerJust too addicted
    --
    Buy all oem Honda parts. I’ve used aftermarket and you will be taking the forks back apart.
    Chris

--
    Yup I want honorable parts not aftermarket. BTW these forks are different than what you say. There is no bleeder on the side. It has the oem front end with the drum brake. The drain is that bolt at the bottom under the fork.
    ♠ 58 ♠

▓ ▓
    Ride 3

--
    Not sure I understand. There are never any "fork bleeders", just drains and air bleeders on the TOP of the fork.

Just about all forks have a drain screw (10mm bolt with copper crush washer), and once you get into 200X/250R/350X, there is a schrader valve (tire valve stem) on the top of the fork for bleeding out the air that builds up inside.

When you say bottom, you must mean center bottom from below? That is the oil lock pipe bolt, it holds in your damper; It's not a bleeder...

Reuse the snap ring, I usually just wire wheel off the old surface rust, and then I rub grease all over it.

The only somewhat difficulty to this job is putting the seals back in. I must have 50 different pieces of pipe/tube/stock that I cut down and smooth out for ing in the seal.

When you came up a few years ago, I believe I put seals in your 350X with you??
    All our government does is distract us while they steal from us, misspend our tax $ and ruin our country

--
    Yes it is the bolt underneath the bottom of the fork. That is where I drained the oil from. Yup last time I came up was the 350X and you did the fork seals. I moved up north since then and needed a work horse for around the yard so went with the 250SX to haul firewood.
    I still have some of the left over Bel Ray fluid you used for the fill.
    ♠ 58 ♠

▓ ▓
    Ride 3

--
    This is an encrypted link to my cloud drive. Tell me what you think of these vids. Are the 250SX front forks somewhat similar to the this ?

https://mega.nz/#!OS5h1LAT!wcsTDVtYz...ff-0pPYds2GIBE
    https://mega.nz/#!ie5VXbLA!MwL_Ld-Sk...Bau_IluYjYULrw

One more bonus link for Steve and anyone who likes B0ston 1979 Giants Stadium Meadowlands NJ ripped from original VHS Tape

https://mega.nz/#!KX4DGTQQ!NaZ7te_22...CdtiFIAt9esrws

enjoy and thanks for the replies
    Last edited by sweetip2000; 09-27-2018 at 11:19 PM.
    ♠ 58 ♠

▓ ▓
    Ride 3

--
    Won't let me see the links...

Did you check YouTube for a video??

--
    ♠ 58 ♠

▓ ▓
    Ride 3

Leevvii is offline At The Back Of The Pack Arm chair racerFirst time rider
    --
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4ssZXBHL8Z4&t=1030s

Not the exact forks your after, but the principals are the same, at least for the gen 2 250R and the gen 1 200X, hope this helps
    n

//ArrowChat Integreation Code //