//ArrowChat Code

Thread: MegaRed GL500/250ES possibilities and plans

--

MegaRed GL500/250ES possibilities and plans

1985 big red with 28” to 30”+ tires, full fenders, 350X fork swap(done), and a 1985 Silverwing GL500 engine is on the drawing board in my garage. I have a complete motorcycle, one complete Big Red, and another Big Red that’s 75% complete. My first question is, has anyone ever done anything similar to my plan? My second question is, what’s the best way to swap which side of the axle the diff is on? I haven’t hacked or torched anything yet....

--
    Never seen it done and never worked with BRs but I'm curious about making that GL engine fit.

--
    I’ll post pics after I get everything sorted and arranged in my garage. My biggest hurdle, for now, is the diff location. They are on opposite sides from one another. I intend to use only Honda factory, or modded factory parts in my build. I have a pair of old Foreman rear fenders cut to fit on the frame, Foreman 12” wheels out back and maybe the same up front. Any combination of BR/250SX/350X front shocks and triple tree to steer with. Battery and airbox relocated, and a custom “waterproof” enclosure for the CDI and other electronics. This is the “most ambitious” project I have “thunkded up in my thoughtspot”.

--
    I'm anxious to see this start.

I don't know what your skills are....and I don't know if your going to construct an entirely new frame or what but I'm curious. The CX power plant is heavy...is a stress member and somewhat awkward. If it's a higher milage CX a triple bypass should be done since it will be out of the frame and would need to be for the procedure.

I know the CX has been the guinea pig/canvas/sacrificial lamb/donor/etc for a lot of unique projects....for a lot of abortions and for some very successful machines.

Good luck

--
    I’m anxious too. I’ve been trying to figure out my best option for the driveshaft dilemma, which is how to go about swapping which side the diff is on. I really want to use a BR frame, but I might have driveline clearance issues... But, that’s what the sawzall is plugged in for

//ArrowChat Integreation Code //