//ArrowChat Code

Thread: New member from S. CA (past racer in 80's N. CA)

--

New member from S. CA (past racer in 80's N. CA)

Hello Guy's just got the bug again for a three wheeler and happened upon this site, man I am blown away at what a come back three wheeler's have had. Anyway I started riding them in '75 when my dad brought home 3 of them and basically dumped them off and said the arrow has to point at the N to start it. Well after a time we got one going and that started the whole thing. We rode at Sand Mtn, Pismo, Prairie city, Mammoth Bar, E Street in Marysville, this is just a few places. We then made the big move getting a 185s which I started racing in Sacramento at Sac Raceway(1980ish) mostly on Wednesday nights. My dad loved it as he raced anything with a motor and on Wednesday's they had bracket racing so he got to help me and enjoy drag racing. The next big jump was a 200x which I can't really say how much I loved that bike back in day, I worked on it and raced it with my dad's help. We also criss crossed the Western US racing the 200x which at the end had a major melt down.

We used a guy out of Oroville to build our motors, this guy was to put it lightly a genius and a mad scientist with small cc engines. His name is Gordon Siems and he was well know in the N. Ca race scene. I was lucky that Gordon would build my motors and I in turn would help in his garage/barn. One of his claims to fame was that he held the 80cc land speed record at Boneville. Now these motors were fast (dual spark plug 13:1 with goldwing coil) the bike was every bit as fast as Sparks or Dunlap just the rider wasn't. But in reality they were ticking time bombs that would blow up (not if but when). I could go on about this guy but he was something special. Thanks Gordon if you ever see this.

I have some pics from that time that I will upload most are from the N. CA region I raced in the 200 expert and 250 at the end and if your from the area hit me up I'd enjoy a trip down memory lane lots of great folks back then. Given the majority of my time was on the 200x Mickey and Curtis were my race hero's as they did amazing things with 200cc's. The pic on my album were taken by me as at the time no one really stopped you from being on the track if you were racing. Anyway I look forward to meeting some new and old friends on here. I'll try and get my pics up soon.

--
    Harkster, this forum has really slowed down a lot in the last year, but there are still a few racers around that drop by from time to time. Just be patient, and I'm sure they will chime in. Welcome aboard.
    Red Rider's Sand Machine Updated 07/23/14

--
    Welcome

Can't wait to see the pics

Sent from my Z958 using Tapatalk

--
    Welcome to the site. Glad to hear about some old school purists coming around here. Cheers!
    RIP - Yamahondaman!! You will never be forgotten!
    RIP - Sam Brehm!! Gone but NEVER forgotten!
    RIP - Sandpuppi101 - You will live on in my mind - I miss you friend!

--
    Welcome. Where you at in Southern Cali now days? In corona myself.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

--
    Welcome to the site Harkster. Definitely looking forward to the pictures! Mickey is on this site but I haven't seen in a bit.
    • 1985 Honda 250SX
    • 1985 Honda 350X
    • 1985 Honda 350X
    • 1986 Honda 250R

“I Love The 350x. It’s So Bad”

My Feedback Link!

--
    Thanks for sharing your story of the 'good ol days'...ha ha. Always nice to hear first hand accounts of those who lived through the 80's on 3 wheelers!
    1985 Honda ATC 250ES
    1985 Honda ATC 250SX
    1984 Honda ATC 200M
    1983 Honda ATC 200
    1984 Honda ATC 110

3Z with Fangs! is offline At The Back Of The Pack Arm chair racerFirst time rider
    --
    Interesting story, I look forward to the pics!

--
    Thank you for the warm welcome, I have uploaded some pics but there will be more coming. I raced at San Jose Nationals and the Golden State series as well as Trans Cal and Porterville National's the last year they had it. But in N. CA there was a promoter by the name of Dave Martinez and he put on races all over and in general was a pretty good guy for the ATC community. The guys in N. Ca always compared themselves to the S. CA guys and for the most part, the group of us never had tremendous success against those guys as they had the best of the best. Don't get me wrong we had a bunch of great guys but not really anyone that could pay the bills (lots of bragging rights) by racing.

Currently I live in Murrietta, Ca and really haven't rode much but I recently purchased a 250r and funny story a 86 Tecate. You never know what will come of a Craigslist ad. But I'm hoping to go watch some racing as I know they have a bunch in the area and it would be great to come watch.

--
    Welcome there are some old school racers around here.
    Great pics BTW.
    * 1978 ATC 90/180 Pauter PJ1 / Springer "Team BAPP" Bike *

* 1980 ATC 110/180 "Danny's Machine Works" 3D Sprint Dune Bike *

* Nicholson 500 Race Bike *

* HPATC Yamaha RD350 "Big Moe" Trike *

//ArrowChat Integreation Code //