//ArrowChat Code
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Why haven’t more people done the 200x decompression mod????

--
    Hey guys quick question. When I go to do the install with the 200e cam/cover at what position should I move the release lever to? 12 o’clock/2 o’clock ect? I did install the other release style valve cover that I ordered with the 200x cam and it doesn’t seem to work. But I don’t know how far to move the lever back? I tried all positions to feel no compression release. If I move the lever to 9-10 o’clock I feel resistance. I don’t want to cause any damage. I had to bend the lever a little to clear the bigger cooling fins. Should the lever lock into position or do I have to hold it there while I kick start it? I’ve been searching the web awhile to not find much info on how it actually works. Someone with a atc lever setup or real knowledge please advise ! I’m still confused how a lower profile cam (200e) will make the release level work lol
    Last edited by bigmike8791; 09-29-2018 at 09:44 PM.

Leevvii is offline At The Back Of The Pack Arm chair racerFirst time rider
    --
    i have an XR200 cam [14101-446-000] to put into my X also, very keen to see how this works out. I also searched for info on how it works, alot of info on other makes but came up blank on the honda style decomp, hopefully someone here knows, fingers crossed. I have an old laproscopic eyepiece around somewhere, i just might be able to get a glimpse of the decomp cam from the inside, but things are pretty tight in there, i'll try when i get it all assembled, just waiting on my jug rebore to be done, then i can reassemble it
    n

--
    Sounds good. The more info the better. I haven’t had time to work on mine. Keep us posted as I’ll do the same

--
    Quote Originally Posted by bigmike8791 View Post
    Why special cam? The decompression lever hooks to exhaust rocker. When you move the lever it moves the rocker which presses down on the exhaust valve. Shouldn’t that work?
    I agree, in theory , this should work, lets hope it works in place. The 200ES that I removed the rocker cover from, has an exhaust rocker that has a small "tab" on its side, on which the lobe [on the end of the decomp shaft] contacts the valve tab , pressing the exhaust rocker down. The spring must determine the how long it stays engaged.
    The 200X exhaust rocker has no side tab. The 200ES exhaust rocker is no longer available from what i can see.
    n

--
    Quote Originally Posted by shortline10 View Post
    The back side of the cam lobes I believe are machined smaller on the 200x and most performance cams so the lever won’t open the exhaust valve .
    Go ahead and give it a try , maybe I’m wrong lol .
    I’ve installed a lot of performance cams in the 185/200 series motors and it always caused the compression release to not function anymore .

Does anyone have a stock 185/200 cam to measure the backside of the lobes compared to a 200x and 200xr cam? Would like to know too as to this working. I see the part number for intake rocker arms is the same for 185 200 200x xr 200. The exhaust rocker with decompression tab is different on the xr and 185/200. Shortline may be on to something with smaller cam diameter but if thats true wouldnt the intake rockers need to be different as well? Could it be as simple as using xr exhaust rocker with 185/200 valve cover? I know the design of the decomp actuator is different when used with a cable not sure if the eccentric lobe on the end of the lever style will still work on the xr exhaust rocker.
    "I'm Kind Of Like The Turtle Man Of 3Wheelers."

1986 Honda 350X
    1985 Honda 250R
    1985 Honda 200X

mollie8000 is offline At The Back Of The Pack Arm chair racerFirst time rider
    --
    crf 230 electric start plus power
    Trikefest survivor 08 09 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18

--
    Where im at on this on my 84 200X

THE 200es rocker cover with decompression fits the X motor, and the lobe on the decomp, appears to touch exhaust valve when in the "on" position. The lever appears to “cock” and has resistance, and stays cocked in position prior to kicking. Also, the lever “lets go” when the engine is kicked, so it seems to function as expected. I have not fired the engine as yet, this was just to check the engine was not binding after reassembly, and a quick check of the decomp, not a thorough test.

Some things ive noticed:- the decomp lever does not always engage when it is lifted upwards to the “start” position, it seems to depend on where in its cycle the engine is, and only engages “near” TDC,

Also, the decomp lever seems to “let go” very easily, though this would be expected, to a degree, as the 200ES is a pull start, a lot gentler on the release spring than the sudden jerk of a kickstarter on the X.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Decomp-ESonX_225332.jpg   IMG_20181110_225355.jpg  
    n

--
    ^What cam do you have in it now?^

1986 Honda 350X
    1985 Honda 250R
    1985 Honda 200X

--
    XR 200, 14101-446-000 new, with matching sleeve bearing, i used the inlet valve rocker from my 200X, and the exhaust rocker from the 200ES, im wondering if the ES rocker will take the punishment of the X engine, it should, ...in theory, .....but......, im just overthinking it. Just havent had much time to work on it, ill keep you posted.
    n

--
    Quote Originally Posted by Leevvii View Post
    XR 200, 14101-446-000 new, with matching sleeve bearing, i used the inlet valve rocker from my 200X, and the exhaust rocker from the 200ES, im wondering if the ES rocker will take the punishment of the X engine, it should, ...in theory, .....but......, im just overthinking it. Just havent had much time to work on it, ill keep you posted.
    Cool. Can you feel any difference? Wonder if the Xr200 exhaust rocker would help any.

1986 Honda 350X
    1985 Honda 250R
    1985 Honda 200X

--
    Sorry been away for awhile. Decompression cover with stock 200x cam proved unsuccessful as shortline predicted. I bought another decompression cover with matching cam to try. Won’t be for awhile. Any updates on others trying this mod? Rather not waste any more time lol �� Leevvii how you making out?

Scootertrash is offline Just Too Addicted: Protecting Our Community The day begins with 3WW
    --
    Quote Originally Posted by bigmike8791 View Post
    That was my next question. Has anyone installed a xr200 cam in 200 and still had the decompression leval work? I’m hoping townline chimes in as he has installed a lot of cams in different machines. I really don’t want to buy one/install to find out that it won’t work. Im a bit confused on how a lower cam lobe will allow the lever to work?
    I did, 84 200S still using the factory decomp cable assembly. I bought a valve cover to eliminate the cable set up since parts are becoming scarce. Never did get around to installing that, although I have a buddy with a 185 who just flips the lever up on his since the cable is gone. Seems to work fine that way, just not as pretty as the dedicated lever.
    Quote Originally Posted by fabiodriven View Post
    Trick the people into thinking they're enacting their own will and you have willing slaves.

Liberalism suspends the intellect of its victims, while at the same time tricking them into believing that they're smarter than everyone else.

If we've done business together, please leave me feedback. Thank You!:

http://www.3wheelerworld.com/showthr...t=Scootertrash

--
    Why? Because it doesn't need it.

//ArrowChat Integreation Code //