//ArrowChat Code

Thread: Prob of the day: Are a Dim headlight and wont kill related?

--

Prob of the day: Are a Dim headlight and wont kill related?

Howdy again folks, I bought another project atc. This one seemed pretty good shape .Red 1984 185 . The guy guy said it runs but loses spark after a while. SO it starts and runs pretty good ( first pull so far ) I haven't had it die yet , BUT I noticed 2 probs , 1 the headlight is VERY dim and 2 when I hit the kill switch to shut it off, it keeps running ?!? Wondering could the two problems be related or two totally different monsters? Thanks for any help as always ! Im starting to get real familiar with these things , something new almost every time!

--
    fyi no '84 185.. so an earlier 185 or a 84 200s or something in between?

http://www.3wheelerworld.com/oldsite...Sx80Thru84.jpg

Just going by the diagram.. first guess maybe bad ground somewhere (those two seem to share connection before going to chassis ground), or just bad switch and bad bulb..

--
    ATC headlights are notoriously dim, but that doesn't mean you don't have stator problems. You might want to throw a volt/ohm meter on it and check for proper output (the procedure is outlined in the manual)

The kill switch issue could be bad contacts in the switch itself OR a bad ground (lack of a ground) causing it to keep running after you switch it off

Eventual loss of spark could also be bad ground.

Doesn't that model have the ground attached to the frame by the coil mount? I've seen these get corroded right there and cause a loss of contact

Sent from my Z958 using Tapatalk
    Last edited by ironchop; 09-26-2018 at 09:41 AM.

--
    Yes sirs, it is a 83, ('scuse me ) I tested the switch and its good , I checked connections behind the headlight, and also checked the GROUND connection by the COIL. Everything checks good EXCEPT the thing just wont shut off !! Is there another ground I should be checking ? I KNOW its gotta be a corroded ground but where do I look next? Its quite special working on a 30 plus year old demon as almost EVERY screw I tried to loosten was RUSTED, so yeah, I think that might be the problem! but where ??

--
    The on off switch is OK as I opened it up, grounded both terminals and it kept running. I also did a continuity test on the ground wire and that checked OK too. Shouldnt it stop running if I jumpered from the switch it to ground? THANK you for the wiring diagram BTW. I just don't know where else to look! Help!!

--
    Could it be a bad black connection in the CDI preventing it from grounding it out ?

--
    For those who are wondering, the answer is a resounding YES. A bad connection at the CDI box WILL cause a honda 185 ATC FAIL to shut off. PROBLEM FIXED! Thank you for the schematic 200Maniac !! That helped me nail it down!

--
    I'm glad that you figured it out.

--
    Quote Originally Posted by tri guy View Post
    For those who are wondering, the answer is a resounding YES. A bad connection at the CDI box WILL cause a honda 185 ATC FAIL to shut off. PROBLEM FIXED!
    So your kill switch issue is fixed, but how about the dim headlight?
    Red Rider's Sand Machine Updated 07/23/14

--
    Yes the light appears brighter as well I suspect to me having cleaned the grounds at the coil. Maybe Im out of line but I say ...VICTORY!! Thanks again for the help!

//ArrowChat Integreation Code //